Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 05:22:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Explain pls what are sidechains and drivechains?  (Read 396 times)
MikieRay (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 02:27:05 PM

Hi! Help me please to figure out what are sideshares and driveshares, because I am a little confused..  Huh

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cellard
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1250

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 03:03:23 PM

Hi! Help me please to figure out what are sideshares and driveshares, because I am a little confused..  Huh

Sidechains are chains that work along the main chain so they are backed by the main chain's haspower. In order to operate on the sidechain, there is a 1-way peg of BTC so no additional BTC's are created, you can go in and out of the chains with your BTC without needing extra tokens.
thejaytiesto
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 04:01:09 PM

Quote from: luke-jr
Sidechains are the general concept of multiple blockchains using the same currency.

Drivechains are one specific way to implement sidechains, by having the miners vote on peg-outs.

Additional questions are answered there:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/6hpkqd/how_to_get_both_decentralisation_and_the/dj0qhbh/
davidmccoy

Activity: 47

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2017, 05:39:30 PM

You can find some useful and connected information at this link too.
www[.]rsk.co/blog/sidechains-drivechains-and-rsk-2-way-peg-design
MikieRay (OP)

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 06:26:18 AM

@all
Thank you a lot! Now I began to get the picture. Smiley
Links are very useful. I am going to use them for a deeper insight.
SimmonenY

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 08:04:14 AM

Sorry if my question is stupid I was just wondering is there a difference in security of funds on a sidechain and drivechain?
MikieRay (OP)

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 08:20:04 AM

Sorry if my question is stupid I was just wondering is there a difference in security of funds on a sidechain and drivechain?

It is an interesting question, not a stupid one!
Actually, I also haven't faced such information yet...
d5000
Legendary

Activity: 3906
Merit: 6142

Decentralization Maximalist

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 08:24:46 AM

"Sidechain" is a general term for blockchains that are in some way "pegged" to another blockchain like Bitcoin. The most simple of them work with an "1-way-peg":  If you want to transact 1 BTC to the sidechain, then you freeze a BTC on the main chain and one token on the sidechain is created. So initially the peg is 1=1.

The problem: If you want to exchange sidechain tokens to mainchain BTC, then you must buy them at an exchange - so effectively these kinds of sidechains are an "altcoin".

"Drivechain" is not something different than a "sidechain", but a sidechain concept where a two-way peg exists. The mechanism to transfer BTC from the main chain to the drivechain works like in 1-way sidechains. But you can go back: you destroy a "DrivechainBTC" on the drivechain and (with a somewhat complicated mechanism) miners "unfreeze" a freezed BTC on the main chain.

There is a second kind of "2-way-peg" that is more centralized, used for example by Blockstream and Rootstock. In this sidechain concept the frozen BTC are controlled by a "federation" (a group of "trusted" users, like exchanges) that unfreeze the BTC if they detect that a "SidechainBTC" is destroyed.

You can compare the Blockstream sidechain concept and the Drivechain concept with respect to security: In the Blockstream concept, it depends that the "Federation" does not collude to steal frozen Bitcoins or censor transactions that go from the sidechain to the main chain. In the Drivechain concept, miners decide - as long as they don't collude, it's secure.

In my opinion the Drivechain concept is more secure because miners have high costs (energy, mining equipment) and so they would lose more if they collude and lose credibility.  For small sidechains, however, the Blockstream model may be more secure (see Paul Sztorc's article, above all the section "Drivechain’s Security" - long read but essential if you want to really understand the concept).

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Lorilikes

Activity: 672
Merit: 251

Content| Press Releases | Articles | Strategy

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 04:22:01 PM

The benefits of sidechains are plentiful as the negatives, I think.  If a sidechain is an independently operated chain like the side chains in Komodo for example, there is comfort in some stability. What I am referring to is this: If an event occurs that affects the main chain, such as an attack, the side chains remain unnaffected.  That's a plus, for blockchain based businesses, and altcoins.

Ask Me About Press Releases and Content Creation
★▃ ▂⭐️▂ ▃ ▅ ▆⭐️▆ ▅ ▃ ▂⭐️▂ ▃★

★▃ ▂⭐️⭐️▂ ▃ ★✨
✨★▃ ▂⭐️▂ ▃ ▅ ▆⭐️▆ ▅ ▃ ▂⭐️▂ ▃ ★✨

⭐️▂ ▃ ▅ ▆⭐️▆ ▅ ▃ ▂⭐️

★▃ ▂⭐️▂ ▃ ▅ ▆⭐️▆ ▅ ▃ ▂⭐️▂ ▃★

⭐️▂ ▃ ▅ ▆⭐️▆ ▅ ▃ ▂⭐️
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: