Bitcoin Forum
August 21, 2024, 05:16:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 5 GPU Miner  (Read 2390 times)
svenp

Activity: 122
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 02:40:34 AM
Last edit: May 15, 2013, 03:03:57 AM by svenp

Back to Windows, so I read about Windows 8 being able to work with 5 7XXX cards using 13.1.
Can you try that?

I've seen people mention that but haven't seen any source confirming the fact.  BTW I said *I* got bad performance with Linux because I couldn't undervolt my 7950s, something I can do easily with Windows.  So I see you are implying I'm an ignorant Windows user and that this is the reason for the bad performance.  Why don't you explain to this ignoramus how I undervolt my 7950s in Linux.
philips

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 03:07:35 AM

Mining performance in Windows is as good as in Linux and the other way around with some pros and cons for both.
(As for me implying that you are an ignorant, you got a bit carried away.)

The voltage limitation is real (also the 150 Mhz limit as I mentioned in the previous post) and the (only) solution is to flash the BIOS.
I have mine undervolted to 1.09 V and 150 Mhz.

About Windows 8 I posted earlier a link: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=193695.msg2054705#msg2054705

It basically comes down to a limitation of Windows 7. What the specific limitation is, I don't know. But Windows 8 allows 1 more GPU to be detected and mineable. So if you install 13.1 driver on win7 and get 4 GPU working, you will get 5 GPU working on win8.

Worth trying at least.
svenp

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 03:15:26 AM

Performance wasn't good for me because I couldn't set voltage, thus too much power draw and I had to run at lower clocks and powertune.  Anyway, I will try the win 8 solution.  Hope it works!  Thanks.
philips

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 03:29:29 AM
Last edit: May 15, 2013, 03:48:53 AM by philips

How low would you go for a 7950? Have you found an optimal voltage?

The 1.09 voltage I use for my cards (7970) is the same voltage as used by reference 7950 cards.
I experimented with lower voltages and (while the efficiency was increased) profit was going down.
I found 1.09 V to be the perfect compromise, also memory set to 150 Mhz helped a lot regarding power usage and temperatures.

Lowering the clocks saves little power unfortunately while powertune past 5 is not bringing any significant advantages in performance anyway. (I could tinker a bit more with powertune though...)

hax0red

Activity: 79
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 03:36:55 AM

Except the complaint above is somewhat legitimate since tuning in Linux is widely known not to be quite the same quality as windows and I don't think anyone in there right mind would argue that windows offers much better support for gaming at this time(although that's slowly changing).

Gaming... ? Huh

I was strictly speaking about mining issues. What is difficult to tune?
There are two major limitations (for 7XXX): You cannot alter the voltage or set memory clock more than 150 Mhz lower compared with the GPU clock. (both issues can be fixed with a BIOS flash, although the 7xxx bios editing is not quite straightforward)
Other than that you can tune pretty much everything else I can think of.

Back to Windows, so I read about Windows 8 being able to work with 5 7XXX cards using 13.1.
Can you try that?

If you can't make the connection between gaming and mining (both graphic card related?) considering they use AMD drivers then there is no helping you and I'm a bigger fool for bothering with this post.

And yes altering the voltage is critical for me and I'm sure 99% of everyone here since my cards would overheat in minutes without voltage control as I found out quickly when I first built the system. No clue what cards you have but my first 4 were boost models and had major problems in the slots and adding risers helped a little but there is still issues with heat unless you have blower style fans (I have one like this).
philips

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 03:46:21 AM
Last edit: May 15, 2013, 05:49:48 AM by philips

Gaming and mining connection?
Not really, Nvida cards are great for gaming but you can't mine shit with them  Grin

Have you tried the Win8+13.1 (possible) solution I mentioned?
svenp

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 03:45:22 PM

How low would you go for a 7950? Have you found an optimal voltage?

The 1.09 voltage I use for my cards (7970) is the same voltage as used by reference 7950 cards.
I experimented with lower voltages and (while the efficiency was increased) profit was going down.
I found 1.09 V to be the perfect compromise, also memory set to 150 Mhz helped a lot regarding power usage and temperatures.

Lowering the clocks saves little power unfortunately while powertune past 5 is not bringing any significant advantages in performance anyway. (I could tinker a bit more with powertune though...)

My Sapphire 2Ls default to 1.250V.  With that three 2Ls + mobo + PCI bus for a 4th card take 1060W at the wall, at 1.075V they take 770W.  I set powertune to +20 always just so I won't be power limited, which happens easily at 1.25V.
philips

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 04:58:01 PM

My Sapphire 2Ls default to 1.250V.  With that three 2Ls + mobo + PCI bus for a 4th card take 1060W at the wall, at 1.075V they take 770W.  I set powertune to +20 always just so I won't be power limited, which happens easily at 1.25V.

OK great, thanks.
petala

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 07:54:12 PM

Except the complaint above is somewhat legitimate since tuning in Linux is widely known not to be quite the same quality as windows and I don't think anyone in there right mind would argue that windows offers much better support for gaming at this time(although that's slowly changing).

Gaming... ? Huh

I was strictly speaking about mining issues. What is difficult to tune?
There are two major limitations (for 7XXX): You cannot alter the voltage or set memory clock more than 150 Mhz lower compared with the GPU clock. (both issues can be fixed with a BIOS flash, although the 7xxx bios editing is not quite straightforward)
Other than that you can tune pretty much everything else I can think of.

Can you try that?

How about monitoring VRM temps? I heard that cannot be done on linux either.

maybe you found a solution and can help us by sharing it? thanks!
philips

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 08:21:05 PM
Last edit: May 18, 2013, 01:10:45 AM by philips

Sorry, I doubt you can do that either, or at least I doubt you can do it easily.
Due to undervolting, memory underclocking and good ventilation where rigs are located, my cards are running pretty cool (60 C) so I didn't really gave a thought about it.

It would be a nice tool to have though. There was at one point something something called radeonvolt (?) able to do that but it was abandoned (and it was also incomplete).

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: