Bitcoin Forum
July 29, 2024, 12:21:33 PM *
News: Help 1Dq create 15th anniversary forum artwork.

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to report Bitcoin scammer's wallet id?  (Read 568 times)
scarecrow2k6 (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 05:30:39 AM

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and I would really appreciate some advice from you guys. I recently sold 1BTC on Ebay but the buyer scammed me by saying that it was bought without his consent right after I sent him the bitcoin. Have anyone of you faced this kind of problem before and what did you do to solve this mess? Is there any place where I can report a scammer's wallet id? I've waited forever to gather those bitcoins and now they are gone  Sad

The scammer's wallet id: 16y9NCNH5w8XZtomYXoxqWKxVU8N67ymmQ

Your help would be highly appreciated.
kirchhoff

Activity: 5

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 05:35:17 AM

Something's off about this.  If he won your ebay auction or buy it now or whatever, he can't just take his money back, he should be locked in...  Resolve this matter through eBay.  There is nothing anyone else can do.
scarecrow2k6 (OP)

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 05:52:22 AM

I did but unfortunately Ebay doesn't deal with sellers selling digital item. The funny thing is that the buyer even sent me messages from his ebay account about him receiving the bitcoin but then I don't know what happened. Although Ebay is taking a look at this matter but I know eventually I will lose but I just wanted to let others know that this is what is going on with that wallet id.
Cameltoemcgee

Activity: 54

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 05:56:36 AM

fair call....seems a little bit pointless though as the chances are he'll create a new recieve address with each transaction though...

Try using Localbitcoins.com instead of ebay... paypal is evil Wink
xcezzz

Activity: 90
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 05:58:56 AM

fair call....seems a little bit pointless though as the chances are he'll create a new recieve address with each transaction though...

Try using Localbitcoins.com instead of ebay... paypal is evil Wink

agreed... reporting scammer wallet addy's is pretty darn  pointless... creating a new wallet is not hard at all... using services to route transactions through clean addresses so they are not traceable or 'tainted' to this new wallet is no issue at all...
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 4759

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 02:12:58 PM

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and I would really appreciate some advice from you guys. I recently sold 1BTC on Ebay but the buyer scammed me by saying that it was bought without his consent right after I sent him the bitcoin. Have anyone of you faced this kind of problem before and what did you do to solve this mess?

This is a VERY COMMON problem.  This is the reason that anyone who doesn't want to get scammed will avoid PayPal and Ebay when selling bitcoins. The solution is to stop accepting PayPal.

Is there any place where I can report a scammer's wallet id?

This would be useless.  I have thousands of bitcoin addresses.  I generate a brand new bitcoin address for every transaction, and never reuse an old bitcoin address.  Reporting an address really wouldn't accomplish much at all.

I've waited forever to gather those bitcoins and now they are gone  Sad

Yes, they are.  You can file a theft report with your local police department if it makes you feel better, but you can pretty much consider this an expensive lesson in the risks of Ebay and PayPal.  The more people who can be warned about these risks before they make this mistake the better.
scarecrow2k6 (OP)

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 02:42:49 PM

I really appreciate everyone's input here, indeed I learned a lesson dealing with these cheats. Never got duped before that is why I was quite surprised  Smiley Oh well time to move on.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: