Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:44:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Available space in DC - Mining worth?  (Read 1044 times)
guigsa (OP)

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 24, 2017, 08:39:17 PM

Hi,

I have a Datacenter with plenty of space available. I would like to know if it will worth to do mining.

My cost with power is $0.15 (usd) per kWh.

The datacenter has precision cooling which will increase the cost, so it should use around 70% more power.

How do I make the math?

Thanks for the help.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NiHaoMike

Activity: 236
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2017, 12:33:09 AM

That's too high to make a good profit and depending on your area, might not even be as good as what you get at home. Maybe it costs more due to them factoring in UPS costs, which is generally not worth it for mining. Maybe they can provide a lower rate for electricity without UPS, if that is even an option.

I use cryptocurrency and solar power to help my best friend Naomi Wu... And I'm proud of it!
vh

Activity: 699
Merit: 666

View Profile
June 25, 2017, 12:51:10 AM

Space is not a special benefit the way you are currently presenting it.

Other part of the equation:
- Equipment Costs
- Equipment Repair Costs (worth reading up on.. can be a surprise)
- Difficulty increases.

Except for DC space simply being there, do you have access to (free) something that makes it more beneficial compared to just sending miners over to a hosting site that does $0.09 / KWH (including cooling)?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=622998.0

Edit:

Here's a little calculator tool I put together a while back:

http://mining.tipsternet.com/miner.html

Once you go over half the [$/KWH] column, risk increases quite a bit.

coolcoinz
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1103

View Profile
June 27, 2017, 07:45:15 PM

I have a Datacenter with plenty of space available. I would like to know if it will worth to do mining.

The datacenter has precision cooling which will increase the cost, so it should use around 70% more power.

You wrote it like you have some additional space in your data center, so the cooling is working anyway, right? A few miners wouldn't increase the power consumption that much, so I doubt it would be a 70% increase. It depends on how much space you have, and the efficiency of your cooling, but for instance adding 2 powerful miners to a 100m2 room will barely make a difference in your cooler's power consumption.
If you're willing to try it, you could always buy 1 miner and do a monthly test run to check if you like it and how your cooling is performing.
I'd recommend not mining BTC right now but focusing on LTC or other altcoins.

guigsa (OP)

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 27, 2017, 07:52:15 PM

You wrote it like you have some additional space in your data center, so the cooling is working anyway, right? A few miners wouldn't increase the power consumption that much, so I doubt it would be a 70% increase. It depends on how much space you have, and the efficiency of your cooling, but for instance adding 2 powerful miners to a 100m2 room will barely make a difference in your cooler's power consumption.
If you're willing to try it, you could always buy 1 miner and do a monthly test run to check if you like it and how your cooling is performing.
I'd recommend not mining BTC right now but focusing on LTC or other altcoins.

Hey, thanks for the input.

Yes, the cooling is working. I have two Emerson 30TR in the room, they are very efficient and I also have hot/cold aisle confinement. My current power costs are $0.15/kWh. Do you think it still worth importing miners and putting in my own datacenter? What I am thinking is, if colo providers from the US are selling below $0.15/kWh why would I use my own datacenter? Not sure if my calculations are correct, or if I will have other costs with these colo providers?

Yes, I was looking at the LTC miners, specifically the Altminer L3+ although it seems to be out of stock, do you have any other to recommend that is running well? Also, how easy is to install these miners? Should I have any software or I just point my wallet, connect them to the internet and thats it?

Thank you!
BTCish

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 28, 2017, 08:39:27 AM

Electricity cost is to high for a decent profit or even ROI.

QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
June 29, 2017, 09:55:03 PM

15 cents / KWH is VERY VERY HIGH for trying to make a profit on mining.
 Way too many major farms and even some of us small farms pay well under 5c/kwh and some get under 3.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: