Bitcoin Forum
June 03, 2024, 02:41:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ethereum 30% hashrate drop for RX400/RX500 incoming soon?  (Read 11840 times)
jpoker272727
Legendary

Activity: 1137
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 02, 2017, 07:34:42 PM

The Claymore benchmarks figures show a progressive gradual drop of up to 25% through epoch 160, which I found to be overstated compared to the actual epoch drop. Even if not fixed, adding a single $220 RX 570 4GB card can offset most of that drop. There are also indications from one of AMD's lead developers that the issue does not affect SGminer in Linux with OpenCL 2.0.

https://youtu.be/SQE9WdhupAg?t=600

https://youtu.be/ZzAbECBnJmY?t=4836

Thanks for sharing these detailed change with the latest EPOCH, but how often does the epoch change?

When will we see epoch 140,150,160?

I see there is a drop also in the dual mining mode, from your stats there is a drop from 2-3 MH/s in DCR.

P.S is DCR more profitable than SC? Can you share your configuration please, I'm using -dcri 16 and is not affecting the ETH hash rate, or dcr is more profitable than sia?
dquancey

Activity: 587
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 02, 2017, 07:49:51 PM

Is this JUST with claymores miner? I saw the BBT video but read through the thread, are other miners not affected by this?

Be interesting to see if Claymore is actually speaking with AMD.

Also, with the new AMD cards coming out, to see if it affects them too(because I have 30 of them on order).

Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
July 02, 2017, 07:52:03 PM

The Claymore benchmarks figures show a progressive gradual drop of up to 25% through epoch 160, which I found to be overstated compared to the actual epoch drop. Even if not fixed, adding a single $220 RX 570 4GB card can offset most of that drop. There are also indications from one of AMD's lead developers that the issue does not affect SGminer in Linux with OpenCL 2.0.

https://youtu.be/SQE9WdhupAg?t=600

https://youtu.be/ZzAbECBnJmY?t=4836

Thanks for sharing these detailed change with the latest EPOCH, but how often does the epoch change?

When will we see epoch 140,150,160?

I see there is a drop also in the dual mining mode, from your stats there is a drop from 2-3 MH/s in DCR.

P.S is DCR more profitable than SC? Can you share your configuration please, I'm using -dcri 16 and is not affecting the ETH hash rate, or dcr is more profitable than sia?

Like it explains in the video, the epoch changes about every five days and by the end of the year we will be in the 160's epoch. The DCR dual mining hashrate drop was about 0.4% as well. I use -ethi 8 and -dcri 25 for DCR with a core clock of 1150 MHz and a memory clock of 1975-2075 MHz depending on the card. I don't mine SIA, so I don't know if it's currently more profitable. You can check which coin is more profitable to dual mine with the whattomine ETH calculators.

https://whattomine.com/merged_coins/1-eth-dcr
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
July 02, 2017, 07:56:37 PM

Is this JUST with claymores miner? I saw the BBT video but read through the thread, are other miners not affected by this?

Also, with the new AMD cards coming out, to see if it affects them too(because I have 30 of them on order).

There are conflicting reports as to whether SGminer is also affected. Part of the problem is AFAIK, you can't benchmark future epoch's with SGminer like you can with Claymore's miner. Claymore has confirmed he is talking with AMD about the issue.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1433925.msg19798453#msg19798453

dquancey

Activity: 587

View Profile
July 02, 2017, 08:08:40 PM

There are conflicting reports as to whether SGminer is also affected. Part of the problem is AFAIK, you can't benchmark future epoch's with SGminer like you can with Claymore's miner. Claymore has confirmed he is talking with AMD about the issue.

Ahh nice one, thanks for the link.

Well if it doesn't get resolved, then it doesn't get resolved. I'd like to know for future reference, if anyone else is having the problem on another mining platform?

We are Nvidia/AMD 50/50 mine, so won't hurt us too much, but would like to know sooner rather than later so can go Nvidia route instead  Grin
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3780
Merit: 1718

CoinPoker.com

View Profile
July 02, 2017, 08:09:44 PM

You can benchmark future EPOCH just by switching mining between ETC and ETH which are on different epochs.

For everybody freaking out, who cares about the 0.4% drop when in 5 days we had a 7% difficulty gain.

We are all on borrowed time when it comes to mining so lets just enjoy it while it lasts, all our GPUs are already paid off and then some.

ozzy1926

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 03:40:54 PM

Guys I have preordered 7x570 4gb which will be shipped 10th of July should I just cancel and switch to gtx 1060?
BustyKuroNeko

Activity: 125
Merit: 100

Canadian Miner Passing Through~~

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 03:55:03 PM

Guys I have preordered 7x570 4gb which will be shipped 10th of July should I just cancel and switch to gtx 1060?

Yeah, cancel and get the 1070 instead. Even if you can only get 5-6 of them instead go the 1070 way

Self-proclaimed nice guy~
vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3599

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 04:02:37 PM

Anyway, don't believe AMD care about hashdrop at all, even less that they work with claymore for resolving this.

now that amd has miner edition cards i think they would want to fix this. otherwise they are handing nvidia customers as nvida has ming cards also.
Metroid

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 04:28:11 PM

Anyway, don't believe AMD care about hashdrop at all, even less that they work with claymore for resolving this.

now that amd has miner edition cards i think they would want to fix this. otherwise they are handing nvidia customers as nvida has ming cards also.

See that is the thing, did they fix on tonga up to r9 280x? no, dont expect amd do much here, perhaps tonga and polaris arch make this happen, this flaw is by design, maybe there is nothing amd can do, although the mining community is larger than before, which means they might do something about it if only there is something really to do.

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR
PanneKopp

Activity: 391

aka ...

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 04:52:04 PM

You can benchmark future EPOCH just by switching mining between ETC and ETH which are on different epochs.

For everybody freaking out, who cares about the 0.4% drop when in 5 days we had a 7% difficulty gain.

We are all on borrowed time when it comes to mining so lets just enjoy it while it lasts, all our GPUs are already paid off and then some.

... well said.

Vatalik welcomes you in the ICE-AGE at about mid. JAN 2018.

@adaseb - when do you start waving PASL instead of Furtune-Jack FLAG ?

Wink

... please make an educated guess !
kurbeks

Activity: 1078
Merit: 255

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 04:57:00 PM

See that is the thing, did they fix on tonga up to r9 280x? no, dont expect amd do much here, perhaps tonga and polaris arch make this happen, this flaw is by design, maybe there is nothing amd can do, although the mining community is larger than before, which means they might do something about it if only there is something really to do.

Why even bother with these cards. They will release Vega and Polaris 20 soon.
cryptounicon

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2017, 07:50:22 PM

How soon until the mining specific cards come out for AMD and Nvidia?

EZ365 TM     ⚫  REVOLUTIONARY DIGITAL ASSET ECOSYSTEM  ⚫
████████████████ [ http://ez365.io/ ] ████████████████
LoneRangir

Activity: 615

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 08:07:32 PM

Is this affecting EXP and ETC with the same rate of impact?
Metroid

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 08:10:00 PM

They have been for a while in few countries, even newegg was selling some rx 470 mining specific cards.

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR
comp

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 08:19:59 PM

Mining cards do not help much with a POS coin. ice age will kill eth mining regardless of the card. So for eth all these new cards are not worth the investment. All current gpus switching tot other coins will kill these other coins as wel. Overcapacity. Only ppl with free electricity will survive
lankyman

Activity: 382

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 08:39:22 PM

found this: Ethereum mining: hashrate drop for Radeon RX400/RX500 GPUs incoming Shocked Huh
Only RX cards are affected, not the older ones like 290x. Also Nvidia Pascal seems to be on the safe side...

why the f is that the case that only RX series cards are affected, this is crap i tell u
LoneRangir

Activity: 615

View Profile
July 04, 2017, 04:17:50 AM

Is this affecting EXP and ETC with the same rate of impact?

Hmm... Looks like this issue indeed affects ETC, too
jmigdlc99

Activity: 784
Merit: 282

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2017, 07:37:56 AM

found this: Ethereum mining: hashrate drop for Radeon RX400/RX500 GPUs incoming Shocked Huh
Only RX cards are affected, not the older ones like 290x. Also Nvidia Pascal seems to be on the safe side...

why the f is that the case that only RX series cards are affected, this is crap i tell u

Yeah. The ice age is for the entire ethereum mining community. I too dont understand all this crap against AMD's RX series. More likely, it will depend on the memory of cards, 4GB cards will soon be too low to handle DAG.

0xacBBa937A57ecE1298B5d350f40C0Eb16eC5fA4B
comp

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 04, 2017, 07:46:31 AM

Yeah. The ice age is for the entire ethereum mining community. I too dont understand all this crap against AMD's RX series. More likely, it will depend on the memory of cards, 4GB cards will soon be too low to handle DAG.

Correct about iceage incorrect about the memory. It's not the amount of memory but the memory architecture and how it is addressed by the miner software. Still unclear about all statements being made.

We will never see a DAG bigger than 4GB in ETH PoW world. DAG increases by a factor of 0.73 per year.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: