Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:26:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Private Keys engraved in Diamond  (Read 4474 times)
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 09:30:47 AM

I wanted to gauge interest in a new project I am putting together. I am setting up a new service where by you can have encrypted bitcoin private keys laser engraved in Diamond for safekeeping and as an ultra-luxury product.

We will be launching a website soon but we will also have a brick-and-mortar store location as well so you can bring in your loose diamonds for engraving, or you can purchase certified loose diamonds through us. Alternatively, we will have expert jewelers on site that can remove and replace diamonds from existing settings (rings for example) if you wanted to engrave on a diamond that is already set in jewelry.

The engraving does not affect any of the diamonds physical characteristics (nor changes its value) and will be microscopic. It will be done directly through our partners in Belgium. For non-local customers, shipping will be done via insured carrier and is safe.

I am interested in what questions the community might have about such a service so that I can have them answered already when we launch the website. It's hard to get any sort of market data on a product so novel such as this. What would you want to know before buying an engraved diamond? I'm all ears and very curious to hear peoples opinions!

more or less retired.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitcoins...BIIITCOINS

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 09:47:06 AM

how much would the service cost?
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 09:59:22 AM

How do we know you haven't recorded the private key?

crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 11:03:03 AM

How do we know you haven't recorded the private key?

When you order you would generate an encrypted private key on your own machine, or potentially on a hardware device like a yubikey. This is the only way to guarantee the security of your key.

Down the road if the service was popular, we would consider a dedicated app or hardware device that would allow you to manage your diamonds

As for price, the basic service would not be so expensive, but long term we would be aiming for a luxury market. We are based in the Czech Republic.

more or less retired.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 02:05:58 PM

Uh? If you engrave the key then of course you know it and you can record it!

John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 02:18:59 PM

encrypted private key
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 02:23:01 PM

Then you need a second diamond for the password  Cheesy

crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 02:34:04 PM

Hence it being encrypted by the client first. The key on the diamond would be useless for anyone else. :-)

more or less retired.
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 02:34:31 PM

Then you need a second diamond for the password  Cheesy

That's a good idea actually. For rich people who keep the Diamonds in 2 separate places.

more or less retired.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2013, 02:35:41 PM

Hence it being encrypted by the client first. The key on the diamond would be useless for anyone else. :-)

There isn't much point to it then. I actually thought of a similar service using a cnc router but discarded the idea for that reason.
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 02:52:03 PM

There isn't much point to it then. I actually thought of a similar service using a cnc router but discarded the idea for that reason.

We are working with some talented industrial designers to create special encasings for the diamonds that overcomes this problem. IE: the private key needs only to be hidden from the us the engravers. But the diamond can be held in a special case that in combination with the diamond yields a non-encrypted private key. There are a number of really amazing things that can be done on the really high level to make an incredible product. At the start however we will use encrypted keys. Splitting keys across diamonds is quite interesting as well.

more or less retired.
Blueberry408

Activity: 97
Merit: 10

One American Sumbitch Which Love 8

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 04:37:49 PM

This is so davinci code... Diamond Private Keys with Davinci Code decrypters.  Tres cool.

We are working with some talented industrial designers to create special encasings for the diamonds that overcomes this problem. IE: the private key needs only to be hidden from the us the engravers. But the diamond can be held in a special case that in combination with the diamond yields a non-encrypted private key. There are a number of really amazing things that can be done on the really high level to make an incredible product. At the start however we will use encrypted keys. Splitting keys across diamonds is quite interesting as well.

Feel free to send along any spare floating point remainders: 1CVTqVbqHTw35xGKfp4vmxggKdkMVwswtr
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 07:27:42 PM

This is so davinci code... Diamond Private Keys with Davinci Code decrypters.  Tres cool.

Thanks, we are hoping that this might have a special appeal for some members of the community.

more or less retired.
Malawi

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

One bitcoin to rule them all!

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 07:35:50 PM

I think it seems like a risky idea - you are putting something that others may see as garbage into something that everyone sees as valuable.

A thief would certainly steal a diamond, but probably not a broken plastic toy or whatnot.

If I wanted to have a key engraved, it would rather be into some regular (non corrosive)metal, plastic or glass that will be conceived as a plain object to anyone that is not in the know.
How about a fork with a tooth missing in a "man-drawer" with a key engraved - IMHO that would be much more safe.  Grin

BitCoin is NOT a pyramid - it's a pagoda.
melvster

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 07:36:11 PM

I wanted to gauge interest in a new project I am putting together. I am setting up a new service where by you can have encrypted bitcoin private keys laser engraved in Diamond for safekeeping and as an ultra-luxury product.

We will be launching a website soon but we will also have a brick-and-mortar store location as well so you can bring in your loose diamonds for engraving, or you can purchase certified loose diamonds through us. Alternatively, we will have expert jewelers on site that can remove and replace diamonds from existing settings (rings for example) if you wanted to engrave on a diamond that is already set in jewelry.

The engraving does not affect any of the diamonds physical characteristics (nor changes its value) and will be microscopic. It will be done directly through our partners in Belgium. For non-local customers, shipping will be done via insured carrier and is safe.

I am interested in what questions the community might have about such a service so that I can have them answered already when we launch the website. It's hard to get any sort of market data on a product so novel such as this. What would you want to know before buying an engraved diamond? I'm all ears and very curious to hear peoples opinions!

this http://i.qkme.me/3tryd1.jpg

but seriously, interesting service ... beats a tattoo! Smiley
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 07:42:17 PM

I think it seems like a risky idea - you are putting something that others may see as garbage into something that everyone sees as valuable.

A thief would certainly steal a diamond, but probably not a broken plastic toy or whatnot.

If I wanted to have a key engraved, it would rather be into some regular (non corrosive)metal, plastic or glass that will be conceived as a plain object to anyone that is not in the know.
How about a fork with a tooth missing in a "man-drawer" with a key engraved - IMHO that would be much more safe.  Grin

While there are definitely markets for that, the market we are thinking about is an ultra-luxury niche. People who enjoy having things like diamonds and things like bitcoin. While the 'hidden in plain sight' is a good idea, it works with diamonds- wealthy people have quite a lot of diamonds around in general, women in particular. Not to mention, it might be something you enjoy keeping in a safe. After all, the engraving is microscopic- the Diamond does not lose any value by being engraved.

Also, a Diamond is a heck of a lot more durable then a broken plastic toy or really anything else for that matter. With the exception of being shattered (and lasers) they are impervious to pretty much everything else.

Besides that- the cool factor says it all. Who wants a billion dollars stored on a broken plastic toy? :-)

more or less retired.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 07:44:34 PM

Is it possible to engrave a key on a crystalline lens? Very handy to always have ur key in front of ur eye(s)...  Grin
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 07:47:36 PM

this http://i.qkme.me/3tryd1.jpg

but seriously, interesting service ... beats a tattoo! Smiley

Good point. I think this is relevant for everyone with Bitcoin's. It's an interesting idea as well for mult-sig security. You could for example engrave one signature of a 2 of 3 sig transaction in the diamond. Put it in the bank. Then you could give the other two keys to your wife and your child. If you die, either one would be able to retrieve the bitcoin.

Additionally to response again to the hiding bitcoins in plain sight- if you were to die, there is a much higher chance of your broken toy being overlooked and simply thrown out. No one throws out diamonds, but very few would think to check it with a microscope (unless they were selling it). Also, people are well trained how to treat things like diamonds seriously so someone might safeguard a diamond without even knowing there are bitcoins stored in them, while the same can't be said of a broken toy or some very ordinary looking object. The idea is to hide it in a "seek and you shall find" kind of way.

more or less retired.
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 07:53:08 PM

Is it possible to engrave a key on a crystalline lens? Very handy to always have ur key in front of ur eye(s)...  Grin

I think generally it's possible to engrave anything, although if you are talking about engraving it into your eye It might not last. Certainly glass contacts it should be possible.

Speaking about creepy items though- I am talking with someone about what it would take to create sub-dermal implants: RFID chips or the physical sub dermal piercing that could contain your private key below the skin, or even an engraved QR code on the protruding part of some sub-dermal implants.

Needless to say, the popularity of such devices might be quite far off.

more or less retired.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2013, 07:59:50 PM

Well if molecular nanotechnology ever takes off at least this method becomes more affordable. :p
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: