Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 11:36:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can you sweep paper wallet in your regular wallet?  (Read 515 times)
elektra (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 04:43:20 PM

If you have say a desktop wallet with some coins and you also have some coins on a paper wallet, can you sweep those coins on the paper wallet to the desktop wallet or will that replace your whole wallet and balance on the desktop wallet?
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3514
Merit: 6158

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 06:06:14 PM

Desktop wallets allow you to import private keys, so basically, everything from the paper wallet will get added to your desktop wallet balance. If you want to spend only a small amount (a portion) from the paper wallet instead of the taking the whole thing, you can use Mycelium which is a Phone wallet. (iOS/Android).

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
elektra (OP)

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 06:32:09 PM

Desktop wallets allow you to import private keys, so basically, everything from the paper wallet will get added to your desktop wallet balance. If you want to spend only a small amount (a portion) from the paper wallet instead of the taking the whole thing, you can use Mycelium which is a Phone wallet. (iOS/Android).

So it will not wipe out all my current wallet and balance when I sweep from a paper wallet on a desktop wallet?
taxmanmt5
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1024

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 10:56:38 PM

wow, you have a private and public key pairing that was created, not a special wallet.  There should be no reason that you cannot get that into your wallet.  If that was the case, then how else would the paper wallet be spent?  The coins are not magically locked into the paper, the information for access is just printed rather than stored another way.

GreenBits
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1048

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 11:41:21 PM

If you have say a desktop wallet with some coins and you also have some coins on a paper wallet, can you sweep those coins on the paper wallet to the desktop wallet or will that replace your whole wallet and balance on the desktop wallet?

You can do this on most real clients, and a few Android wallets. Look for the 'import private key' or 'import key' option. Scan the QR or cut paste the priv key, and you should be set.

I think I may have even seen a sweep function on one of the popular client wallets. An actual sweep will clear the address and consolidate all the funds on one address.

You can also import that key into Blockchain.info, if you prefer to use a browser wallet.

But I have to ask, why not just send the bitcoin to your new address? Is it a smallish amount, or are the fees looking too daunting?
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3260

View Profile
June 22, 2017, 12:17:21 AM
Last edit: June 22, 2017, 06:33:14 PM by odolvlobo

But I have to ask, why not just send the bitcoin to your new address? Is it a smallish amount, or are the fees looking too daunting?

Because you can't send bitcoins with a paper wallet. It's just a piece of paper.

People that write "wallet address" are probably unaware that wallet can contain more than one address. There is no danger of losing bitcoins by importing or sweeping a private key.

Some wallets let you import a private key. In that case, the wallet assumes control of the private key and its address.

Many wallets don't have that capability because they don't store private keys. These wallets may offer the ability to sweep your private key, rather than import it. The difference is that when a wallet sweeps a private key, it creates a transaction that sends the bitcoins from the swept address to itself and then forgets the swept private key.

Sweeping a private key is generally safer because when you take the paper wallet out of protective storage, you increase the risk of exposing the private key to someone. Once the bitcoins are swept from the paper wallet, the swept private key no longer has any bitcoins. The downside to sweeping a private key is that the bitcoins have to be sent and that will cost money and time.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
GreenBits
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1048

View Profile
June 22, 2017, 12:26:02 AM

Because you can't send bitcoins with a paper wallet. It's just a piece of paper.

Doh, you are absolutely right. Forgot he was dealing with a paper wallet. Was going to follow his response up with 'you will pay a fee to sweep I think, you might do better to import and simply use the wallet.

And thank you Wink I had never considered the technical difference of an import versus a sweep, they have always been in the same place in my head as they achieve the same function. I see why some wallet architectures might want to sweep, for security purposes.
elektra (OP)

View Profile
June 22, 2017, 08:02:39 AM

But the short of it is that you will never lose your current wallet balance if you import or sweep another private key into it?
magneto

Activity: 1666
Merit: 753

View Profile
June 22, 2017, 10:14:10 AM

No, you are able to sweep those coins into any address. Basically "sweeping" a key is merely transferring the address balance from the imported address to an address that you hold already on the desktop wallet. The reason why this is recommended because private keys that you import are oftentimes less secure than the ones generated on your own computer.

But the short of it is that you will never lose your current wallet balance if you import or sweep another private key into it?

Yes, you wouldn't lose any of your current balance. If you wish, you can import the address and keep it there. You'll still have access to the exact same funds, although you ar erunning a security risk here.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: