Bitcoin Forum
June 18, 2024, 03:48:59 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Thoughts on GPU and mining software?  (Read 539 times)
Age86 (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 07:32:11 PM

Hello everyone and nice to meet you.

I am new in this wonderful world of mining and decided to build my rig and join the community.
The rig that i am planning to start with will contain 3 or most likely 4 gtx 1080ti. Initially i planned for 6x gtx1070 but after having read through the forum i understood that on the long term the 1080ti's would be better.
I realize that the roi will take longer to reach but i feel that the raw power of these cards coupled with their good reselling value will eventually pay out the investment.

What i wanted to ask here is : Was this a good decision?

Next, regarding actual mining - I decided to go with nicehash mostly because of the ease of use and me not yet having enough knowledge of what to do.
But from what i read through the forum this looks like its not the most optimal solution with the profit varying greatly between what i see reported on nicehash vs mining specific altcoins.
Seeing the profits and numbers reported by the community made me rethink this approach but i am unsure on where to start.

Now i realize that i can't just come here and ask for "what to mine?" or "what software to use?" but i would still like to ask for some general pointers.

Thank you.
puwaha

Activity: 700
Merit: 294

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 11:03:14 PM

You are on the right track.  The 1080ti will work very well for certain types of mining algorithms, and just "so-so" on others.  Using Nicehash is a good way to get your feet wet with mining.  You will make some profits while you continue to do research on what you want to do beyond the plug-and-play simpleness of Nicehash.  There's no single path or straight answer for everyone.
Age86 (OP)

View Profile
June 22, 2017, 05:38:55 AM

Thanks for your reply!

I have continued to study the forums and one other thing caught my attention: the increasing mining difficulty.
Based on the explosion of hash power which seems to be invading the market it looks that this will directly affect the profits.
I took a look at the profit calculators that i could find (like nicehash or whattomine) but they don't seem to take this into consideration.
My plan was to reach ROI in ~6months however if i understood correctly, the increasing mining difficulty will lower the profit and the readings that i get from these profitability calculators doesn't seem correct.

Did i understood this correctly ?
Could someone help in shedding some light about this ?

Thank you.
Heimer

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 22, 2017, 06:32:27 PM

There is massive grow of new miners. For example RX 4xx/5xx are sold out for 2 months straight, Nvidia is still avaible but who knows for how long? And with that comes massive difficulty growth. WIth current prices you should ROI in 3-4 months, but with so fluctuating diff, tomorrow you could mine 1/2 of you would mine today.
Age86 (OP)

View Profile
June 22, 2017, 08:32:08 PM

Thank you for your reply!
This confirms my guess but it's a risk that i am willing to take.

Age86 (OP)

View Profile
June 23, 2017, 01:29:24 PM

Due to the shortage of GPU's that is currently happening my order for 4x gtx1080ti got somehow cancelled and i need to find something else.
I found some GTX 1070 STRIX GAMING 8GB that i could get my hands on and some GTX 1080 Ti Founders Edition 11GB.
Now i find myself unsure on what to pick since the Founders edition i understood that has some heat issues and may not hold a good resell value.
For reference i initially wanted to buy the Gigabyte GTX 1080Ti Aorus 11GB GDDR5X 352bit version.

What do you guys think ? Should i try to wait a bit more and see if i can get my hands on other TI models (preferably with a better cooling system) or just go for 5x gtx 1070? (i could squeeze a 6th i guess)

Thank you.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: