Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:12:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rig won't turn on when GPU are plugged into the Power Supply.  (Read 944 times)
TheHunt3r (OP)

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 08:18:56 PM

I have a problem with my build I have 6 RX580 8GB and the thermaltake 1200W Gold and H81 Pro BTC mobo. I had no problems when installing OS and all but when I plug in my GPU into the power supply the CPU won't boot. I've tried multiple different set ups and sometimes only 1 GPU will be running. I get 1 gpu to run while the others just turn on then of.. please need some help.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
xleejohnx

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 08:28:15 PM

I have a problem with my build I have 6 RX580 8GB and the thermaltake 1200W Gold and H81 Pro BTC mobo. I had no problems when installing OS and all but when I plug in my GPU into the power supply the CPU won't boot. I've tried multiple different set ups and sometimes only 1 GPU will be running. I get 1 gpu to run while the others just turn on then of.. please need some help.

does it boot with just one gpu?
kinda sounds like a power supply problem but i wouldnt think it would be since it 1200watts but then again it is a thermaltake

As I see a super coin as the super highway and alt coins as taxis and trucks needed to move transactions. ~philipma1957
TheHunt3r (OP)

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 08:39:38 PM

does it boot with just one gpu?
kinda sounds like a power supply problem but i wouldnt think it would be since it 1200watts but then again it is a thermaltake

How unfortunate.. I think that the mobo may need some drivers installed too, i'm not too sure yet.. I waited a month for that supply.. ugh
Elder III

Activity: 1246
Merit: 274

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 09:38:48 PM

You may be exceeding the wattage your PSU can provide since you're possibly pulling 1200 or more watts at the wall if you have aftermarket 580s that can pull 175 watts each.  In any case, have you installed all the motherboard drivers as well as AMD GPU drivers? Are you using powered risers? basically you need to give us 100% of your hardware and software information in order for us to be of much help.
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 11:12:58 PM

Do you have the 8-pin CPU power from the PSU plugged in the motherboard and do you have the two 4-pin molex PCI-E power connectors plugged in as well?
TheHunt3r (OP)

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 11:43:10 PM

You may be exceeding the wattage your PSU can provide since you're possibly pulling 1200 or more watts at the wall if you have aftermarket 580s that can pull 175 watts each.  In any case, have you installed all the motherboard drivers as well as AMD GPU drivers? Are you using powered risers? basically you need to give us 100% of your hardware and software information in order for us to be of much help.

Sorry about that yeah

I'm currently using the
Asrock H81 Pro BTC R2
6 x GIGABYTE AORUS Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 GV-RX580AORUS-8GD 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 ATX Video Card
6-Pack PCIe VER 006 PCI-E 16x to 1x Powered Riser Adapter Card w/ 60cm USB 3.0 Extension Cable & MOLEX to SATA Power Cable - GPU Riser Adapter
Intel Celeron G1840 Processor - BX80646G1840

I've been trying multiple things since I configured the rig the with everything plugged in the monitor would not start. So I put the HDMI from the mobo to the Pci-express slot for the 2nd GPU and it actually showed but only 2 of the 6 gpu fans were running but my computer detected 4 gpus. Still trying other things but im at a loss.

I have the 8 pin CPU and the 2 x 4 Pin Molex plugged in as well.
TheHunt3r (OP)

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 11:50:55 PM

Do you have the 8-pin CPU power from the PSU plugged in the motherboard and do you have the two 4-pin molex PCI-E power connectors plugged in as well?

When I connect my HDMI to the back of GPU it says please plug in 4 pin molex but it is connected...
Elder III

Activity: 1246
Merit: 274

View Profile
June 22, 2017, 01:14:46 AM

You will typically need to plug your monitor into the primary video card, ie the first x16 slot on the motherboard. In order to get 6 GPUs working with the Rx 500 series you need to patch the drivers.... search this subforum for "How to get 6x RX 580 GPU working" and you should get some threads that explain how to do it.
TheHunt3r (OP)

View Profile
June 22, 2017, 01:28:41 AM

I appreciate it, its been a long and hot day.. So for RX 500 series the montior should be always in the back of the GPU?
gsarducci

Activity: 9

View Profile
June 22, 2017, 01:40:08 AM

Okay, I'm confused...

It sounds like something isn't connected right. Might want to pull everything and start from scratch. Plug MB 24pin header in, plug CPU 4pin power in, connect ONLY ONE VGA card to the MB via the riser into the 16x slot and boot. If you get POST go to BIOS and ensure that the settings on the motherboard BIOS are correct and conducive to 6 GPU mining (PCIe to gen1 on all slots is the biggie, and disable onboard VGA if it's on). If Windows is already installed, boot into safe mode and uninstall and wipe all VGA drivers (there's a program floating around somewhere that does this nicely. Perhaps someone else can suggest, I can't recall the name at the moment). Reboot, install whatever VGA driver you're going to use. Ensure card works with new driver. Run miner to make sure miner correctly sees and works with the card.

If all is well, add 1 CARD AT A TIME, configure, run miner, make sure it works.

Once you get beyond 4 cards, Windows gets a little funky about recognizing all the cards. There's a hack around here to fix the registry so that Windows recognizes all 6 cards. Again, since I'm at work, I don't have it in front of me, but it should be relatively easy to find with a brief search.

Also, did you get all these cards new? If not, do you know if any of the BIOS have been modified? If they have, and you're using driver version 16.12.2 or later, any cards with modded BIOS will fail checksum and will not initialize. You'll need to patch the driver to make it work.

Again, though. First step is to tear it all apart and start over, step by step. Don't throw it all together at once and hope it works. Also, DO NOT daisy chain the risers nor the PCIe power connectors. Especially if you have a power supply with multiple 12v rails. Bad things will happen.
TheHunt3r (OP)

View Profile
June 22, 2017, 02:12:28 AM

Okay, I'm confused...

It sounds like something isn't connected right. Might want to pull everything and start from scratch. Plug MB 24pin header in, plug CPU 4pin power in, connect ONLY ONE VGA card to the MB via the riser into the 16x slot and boot. If you get POST go to BIOS and ensure that the settings on the motherboard BIOS are correct and conducive to 6 GPU mining (PCIe to gen1 on all slots is the biggie, and disable onboard VGA if it's on). If Windows is already installed, boot into safe mode and uninstall and wipe all VGA drivers (there's a program floating around somewhere that does this nicely. Perhaps someone else can suggest, I can't recall the name at the moment). Reboot, install whatever VGA driver you're going to use. Ensure card works with new driver. Run miner to make sure miner correctly sees and works with the card.

If all is well, add 1 CARD AT A TIME, configure, run miner, make sure it works.

Once you get beyond 4 cards, Windows gets a little funky about recognizing all the cards. There's a hack around here to fix the registry so that Windows recognizes all 6 cards. Again, since I'm at work, I don't have it in front of me, but it should be relatively easy to find with a brief search.

Also, did you get all these cards new? If not, do you know if any of the BIOS have been modified? If they have, and you're using driver version 16.12.2 or later, any cards with modded BIOS will fail checksum and will not initialize. You'll need to patch the driver to make it work.

Again, though. First step is to tear it all apart and start over, step by step. Don't throw it all together at once and hope it works. Also, DO NOT daisy chain the risers nor the PCIe power connectors. Especially if you have a power supply with multiple 12v rails. Bad things will happen.

Thank you for this I will have it ready since I left my building where the rig is.

I will re-do step by step with these procedures.

I got all these brand new right before the surge of GPU's getting sold.

I have a few questions, what is POST and what is daisy chain the risers mean? I think I know what it mean but not the definition.

TY again.
TheHunt3r (OP)

View Profile
June 22, 2017, 11:31:01 PM
Last edit: June 22, 2017, 11:43:15 PM by TheHunt3r

I finally got my GPU to work and I can only manage to get 5 out of 6 of my Gigabyte RX 580 to work, any ideas. Can't seem to find a solution, been at this for about 15 hours now, 2 days..

I used the newest AMD driver since I've tried the other method of using an older driver with the newer driver method. Still can't get the 6th GPU to finally show..

Don't know what to do anymore. You can google so much... i'm at my wits man..

I try to switch around the x16 slots and sometime only 3 will work the most I can get to wrk is 5 and the last slot never works.
dtmcnamara

Activity: 201
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 23, 2017, 12:28:34 AM

Try hooking each card to a monitor. I had some strange crap happen with one of my rigs and I ended up using HDMI dummy plugs, like the old HD5850 days, and this got my system to boot with all cards installed. Just throwing it out there.

Helping stop scammers by giving negative trust thats visible.
Tips always accepted -
BTC 16BebiEjTEoZrd4MNyiHKyfEz9UMSeNoGH DOGE DKrXgYyrw4cNfv4sKkWs7oyTXaXVCqP23X
TheHunt3r (OP)

View Profile
June 23, 2017, 01:28:40 AM

Try hooking each card to a monitor. I had some strange crap happen with one of my rigs and I ended up using HDMI dummy plugs, like the old HD5850 days, and this got my system to boot with all cards installed. Just throwing it out there.

Thanks I will try that tonight.
majdi105

Activity: 64

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 02:09:41 PM

can you please tell me the solution that you found ?
when i boot without gpu everything is fine but when i plug the gpu nothing show on the screen and it seem dead
cannonballdex

Activity: 50

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2018, 06:42:19 PM

I had this problem a couple days ago. Running 3 gpu 1080 ti on an 850w platinum psu. Worked fine, then added a fourth 1080 ti the computer would not power up, push power on button nothing. Came to the conclusion I was pulling too much power from the psu to fire up the computer. I then opened up another psu 750 watt, used the jumper plug and hooked up the the psu to the motherboard cable with the jumper plug and turned on the psu to power up the fourth card, then computer fired up no problem. My guess would be that you do not have enough power and that I would allow for atleast 250w per card for high end gaming cards. 3 x 250 =750w supply . Hope this helps you fix your problem. Try adding a card at a time and see how many it takes to max your psu.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: