Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 08:41:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: TradeHill API was coded by amateurs  (Read 2879 times)
gigi (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 02:32:09 AM

Look at the way the JSON response from their API is formatted.

https://api.tradehill.com/API/USD/Trades
https://api.tradehill.com/API/USD/Orderbook

How it is (notice the " around values):
Code:
{"date": "1308278023", "tid": "4667", "price": "17.20010000", "amount": "10.00000000"}

How it should be (notice the lack of " around values):
Code:
{"date": 1308278023, "tid": 4667, "price": 17.20010000, "amount": 10.00000000}

A senior level programmer would not make this trivial mistake. You do not send numbers out as strings. My firm wouldn't even hire for junior level the people who designed such a thing. The other exchanges at least format these responses correctly. And they still got hacked due to other vulnerabilities. How can I trust the security of a site dealing with money, when they can't get basic stuff like JSON right?

I noticed this since I started logging their prices (for historical purposes), but I feel compelled to point it out now since there is lot of talk about how "professional" they are and due to the attack people started searching for Mt Gox alternatives.

What I would like to see is for TradeHill to post pictures of their faces, their offices, their infrastructure, each one of them including the secure timestamp from a Financial Times copy.

Cryptographic secure timestamp:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/6c/Guardtime_timestamping_newspaper_publication.png

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
stillfire

Activity: 124
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 02:34:55 AM

Sending decimal numbers as numbers invites clients to interpret them as floats and thereby introduce rounding errors. It's not a bad idea to transfer fixed point decimal numbers as strings.

Lost your wallet password? Try Stillfire's Password Recovery Service.
gigi (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 02:39:09 AM

Sending decimal numbers as numbers invites clients to interpret them as floats and thereby introduce rounding errors. It's not a bad idea to transfer a fixed point decimal numbers as strings.
What about the other numbers which are integers?

I deal with a lot of Forex sites, they list the quotes as numbers - http://rates.fxcm.com/RatesXML

The problem you are describing is real, and that is why the Decimal data type was invented (fixed point decimal, like you said).
bullox

Activity: 131
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 02:39:28 AM

OP is a moron.

You'd generally export those values as strings for enhanced readibility when combined and thrown together in, say, a table.  Key word here is EXPORT.

You act as if there is no way to convert that json element back to a float.... silly.
genjix
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1072

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 02:39:39 AM

TradeHill is doing the correct thing here. This is totally standard.

http://blog.programmableweb.com/2010/10/19/the-twitter-id-shuffle-text-vs-numbers/
EpicFail

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 02:45:38 AM

I don't think it matters either way. Any properly written parser would use explicit conversion and not rely on conversion to the default types provided by JSON specs.
imperi

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 02:49:32 AM

I vote in the "It doesn't matter" category. I program for a living so yeah that's my qualifications for this statement.
gigi (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 02:52:06 AM

Ok, now that everybody agrees that I'm a moron regarding the JSON, any comments of my pictures requests?

BTW, I'm gigi, a programmer with 30 years experience in coding financial systems, great business development skills, and was CEO of a major investment bank for 10 years. Trust me, because I say so on the Internets. (check the "TradeHill - Who we are" thread if you don't get it)
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 02:54:19 AM

Actually I'm glad they send numbers as strings, as that's the way it should be done. It's up to the requesting script to determine how to handle the data.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
Astro

Activity: 284
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 02:55:40 AM

pedant
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2011, 02:57:47 AM

OP is a moron.

You'd generally export those values as strings for enhanced readibility when combined and thrown together in, say, a table.  Key word here is EXPORT.

You act as if there is no way to convert that json element back to a float.... silly.

Such an ironic mistake is pretty amateurish, no? 

Although you gotta admit that the guy is pretty darn good at getting worked up, pointing fingers, and name-calling.

A senior level programmer would not make this trivial mistake. My firm wouldn't even hire for junior level the people who designed such a thing should fire me for being such a presumptuous donkey.

ftfy

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Icy-

Activity: 28

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 03:01:17 AM

Alright great, I disagree with OP.

At least we all can agree OP is a moron though.  Roll Eyes
jakemates

Activity: 69

firstbits.com/1c3qpa

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2011, 03:11:12 AM

Why must they post photos? We don't demand proof and photos of EVERY bitcoin-related exchange.
Sottilde

Activity: 10

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 03:12:12 AM

Alright great, I disagree with OP.

At least we all can agree OP is a moron though.  Roll Eyes

The troll threads tonight have been neverending.  This is one of the worst, along with that "proof" thread where the OP didn't understand that a large sell order would not be matched by a single large buy order.

The posturing wannabe programmer here is almost as bad.
semarjt

Activity: 27

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 03:27:22 AM

Indeed, this is not that out of the ordinary.

I heard tonight that they use python for their backend. (+1 over the php using mtgox)

So the are most likely using the Decimal data type from the standard lib. This is not strange.

What I think should happen is crap like this should be removed as soon as it is realized it is crap. You are tarnishing the name of a business.

Or the OP should have contacted TradeHill with their little 'discovery' before pulling this.

How many scrolled through the forums, saw "TradHill API was coded by amateurs" without taking the time to find out the truth?

That sentiment is now floating around in their subconscious.

hoo2jalu

Activity: 70

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 03:28:20 AM

Sending decimal numbers as numbers invites clients to interpret them as floats and thereby introduce rounding errors. It's not a bad idea to transfer fixed point decimal numbers as strings.

Correct. This is actually a feature borne out of wisdom dealing with lots of different languages and runtimes which may not support floating point math accurately or as expected when doing conversions to other types.

gigi is the idiot.

EDIT: and just to clarify, using a string type let's you, the API user, determine how to re-cast and interpret the value rather than dealing with side effects of some implementation which tries to "do the right thing" by default.
hoo2jalu

Activity: 70

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 03:30:17 AM

BTW, I'm gigi, a programmer with 30 years experience in coding financial systems, great business development skills, and was CEO of a major investment bank for 10 years...

You are clearly a poor programmer. Get over yourself.
semarjt

Activity: 27

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 03:35:44 AM

Correct. This is actually a feature borne out of wisdom dealing with lots of different languages and runtimes which may not support floating point math accurately or as expected when doing conversions to other types.

gigi is the idiot.

EDIT: and just to clarify, using a string type let's you, the API user, determine how to re-cast and interpret the value rather than dealing with side effects of some implementation which tries to "do the right thing" by default.

This is all correct and makes sense. I would also like to add that in order to serialize a decimal.Decimal() (which i can almost guarantee they are using).
 You have to cast it to a native type beforehand. Your choices are: str(), int() or float().

The choice is obvious
GeniuSxBoY

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 03:45:37 AM

pedant

is it wrong that I laughed my ass off at this post?

Be humble!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: