Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 03:48:46 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is the Bitcoin fork not going to happen?  (Read 418 times)
elektra (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 22, 2017, 12:26:47 PM

I heard news about Segwit being passed etc. But I am confused what is actually the case. When will Segwit be passed, and if so when? And does this mean there will be no hardfork in august?

Or are things still not confirmed about this?
michkima

Activity: 896
Merit: 514

View Profile
June 22, 2017, 12:34:01 PM

I think everybody is confused and doesn't really care anymore. Well I am too. I need to read up on this too so I am bookmarking this thread for future reads and answers to this question. I just hope if we do get a fork, it would not heavily damage how we use bitcoins today and there is no greedy person that would change it for his own benefit.
Variogam

Activity: 276
Merit: 254

View Profile
June 22, 2017, 03:42:23 PM

When will Segwit be passed, and if so when?

Seems around mid July. Its important to understand the only reason why SegWit gets activated is because SegWit2x got support/accepance from important Bitcoin companies/exchanges.

And does this mean there will be no hardfork in august?

Yes, no hardfork in August if SegWit2x keeps its support. There will be hardfork in around October though because SegWit2x contains 2MB base blocksize increase activated 3 months after SegWit. Because many important Bitcoin companies/exchanges update the code to be compatible with SegWit2x, the hardfork is guaranteed to happen. The only question remain whether enought people try to holdout the 1MB (for real, not just as political stance), thus ensuring Bitcoin split.
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 22, 2017, 03:49:05 PM

I heard news about Segwit being passed etc. But I am confused what is actually the case. When will Segwit be passed, and if so when? And does this mean there will be no hardfork in august?

No scaling proposal has "passed" so far. Nobody knows if SegWit will or will not pass, but lately it's been looking like it won't.

So yeah, basically nothing's confirmed.
mihohil

Activity: 406
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 22, 2017, 04:13:08 PM

It is not good for Bitcoin to have a hard fork. The scaling issue, is discussed for years, and miners had not decided if they use the soft fork (Segregated Witness) or the hard fork (Bitcoin Unlimited). In the past years, a mining pool had 48% of the mining network. The admins, split the pool, because a 51% attack, will be a major catastrophe. I think the same will happen with hard fork. All bitcoin miners do not to have a hard fork, because it is not a good situation for Bitcoin. I cannot say, that it won’t happen, but I think that it has a small chance to happen.
Denker
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1016

View Profile
June 22, 2017, 05:15:16 PM

No scaling proposal has "passed" so far. Nobody knows if SegWit will or will not pass, but lately it's been looking like it won't.

So yeah, basically nothing's confirmed.

SegWit will get activated by August 1st!
If some miners think they can delay and play with the users, they will learn a very hard lesson.
UASF has strong support and I have no doubt, that if certain miners don't get their sh** together, UASF will activate SegWit without a doubt.
So no worries here from my side.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: