Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 11:11:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Dying bitcoins  (Read 21477 times)
virtualcoin (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 21, 2010, 01:22:35 PM
Merited by OgNasty (1)

Hello,

if somebody's loosing his wallet (e.g. due to disk crash) he's not able to get back his coins, is he?
So every time a person looses coins, they're lost forever? So the bitcoin network will slowly shrink over time? (Because there will always be people who loose wallets!)

TIA
virtualcoin

edit: Forgot to mention the coins of users that are try out bitcoin and then never use it again.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
laszlo

Activity: 199
Merit: 2072

View Profile
June 21, 2010, 01:54:29 PM
Merited by EFS (100), OgNasty (1), vapourminer (1)

They are lost for good.  Think of it like someone losing their wallet in the ocean.  It seems like it would be a problem but it's really not that significant.  People lose their gold jewelry all the time but it doesn't make much of a difference to the value of gold.

I wonder though, is there a point where the difficulty of generating a new coinbase is so high that it would make more sense to try to recover keys for lost coins or steal other people's coins instead?  The difficulty of that is really high so for now it makes a lot more sense to generate but I just wonder what the real figures are.. would that ever become more productive?  Maybe Satoshi can address this..

BC: 157fRrqAKrDyGHr1Bx3yDxeMv8Rh45aUet
virtualcoin (OP)

View Profile
June 21, 2010, 02:33:31 PM

They are lost for good.  Think of it like someone losing their wallet in the ocean.  It seems like it would be a problem but it's really not that significant.  People lose their gold jewelry all the time but it doesn't make much of a difference to the value of gold.

But loosing 1 bitcoin in the ocean of a maximum of 21.000.000 coins seems significant to me, so not comparable to gold and jewelry.
So only 21000 losses of 1000 coins can happen. That's not much!
Gavin Andresen
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2164

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2010, 03:01:44 PM
Merited by OgNasty (1)

But loosing 1 bitcoin in the ocean of a maximum of 21.000.000 coins seems significant to me, so not comparable to gold and jewelry.
So only 21000 losses of 1000 coins can happen. That's not much!
But remember that each bitcoins can be divided into 100 million pieces, as needed.

And the more valuable they become, the more careful people will be not to lose them.

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
virtualcoin (OP)

View Profile
June 21, 2010, 03:54:43 PM

So how am I able to transfer less than BC0.01 without getting the message "error in amount" from the bitcoin program?
laszlo

Activity: 199
Merit: 2072

View Profile
June 21, 2010, 04:33:00 PM

The current user interface doesn't support smaller than 0.01 increments but it is possible to support it in a future revision.

BC: 157fRrqAKrDyGHr1Bx3yDxeMv8Rh45aUet
satoshi
Founder

Activity: 364
Merit: 6610

View Profile
June 21, 2010, 05:48:26 PM
Merited by EFS (100), fillippone (20), o_e_l_e_o (4), Stunna (3), vapourminer (2), Husna QA (2), OgNasty (1), LoyceV (1), m2017 (1), solosequenosenada (1), nullama (1)

Lost coins only make everyone else's coins worth slightly more.  Think of it as a donation to everyone.

I wonder though, is there a point where the difficulty of generating a new coinbase is so high that it would make more sense to try to recover keys for lost coins or steal other people's coins instead?  The difficulty of that is really high so for now it makes a lot more sense to generate but I just wonder what the real figures are.. would that ever become more productive?  Maybe Satoshi can address this..
Computers have to get about 2^200 times faster before that starts to be a problem.  Someone with lots of compute power could make more money by generating than by trying to steal.
summy

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 22, 2010, 11:51:25 AM

Last but not least one can make tons of backups. Once could also setup a bank, even insurance could be made. You could also put your a wallet onto a media (cdrom, tape, whatever) and put it into a safe, like you would to it with money or gold. Then you can have a small wallet.

In most regards bitcoin is just like any other currency. If you are stupid enough to not keep it save it's your fault. It's like walking on the beach with all your money. Simply don't do it!

Maybe I could create a bank, but I'd have to think about away to make myself trustworthy. Wink

If you put your money onto a bank account you also have to trust them. If they mess up their system and nobody knows who was the owner of the money it's exactly the same. Inside the bank your money only exists in a virtual way. Most of the time (not always, because they invest your money) it is backed up by something physical, but if you loose the data to link the physical with the virtual stuff the system is completely messed up.

To make it short: BitCoin is just money, so don't think of it as something too abstract. You can secure it, like every other money.

In most situations it's easier. It isn't that easy to encrypt your money before you put it in your safe, is it?  Grin
SmokeTooMuch
Legendary

Activity: 860
Merit: 1021

View Profile
June 23, 2010, 07:41:14 PM
Merited by OgNasty (1)

last weak my hard drive crashed, good thing i backed up my wallet Smiley
as soon as i got my hard drive exchanged by western digital i will be back in the bitcoin system.

Date Registered: 2009-12-10 | I'm using GPG, pm me for my public key. | Bitcoin on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/btc
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 05:39:47 PM

Wouldn't it be good to modify the protocol, so any coins that weren't moved for 1000 days (for example) could be returned back into the system and mined again? We would get rid of some issues this way (lost coins, wasted space). Anyone who hoards bitcoins should just transfer the coins from wallet to wallet once a year.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2012, 05:43:51 PM

Network size is not determined by the number of units. If it was we could have been ten times bigger now for the cost of one extra "0"!

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Kupsi
Legendary

Activity: 1193
Merit: 1003

9.9.2012: I predict that single digits... <- FAIL

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 05:54:37 PM

Wouldn't it be good to modify the protocol, so any coins that weren't moved for 1000 days (for example) could be returned back into the system and mined again? We would get rid of some issues this way (lost coins, wasted space). Anyone who hoards bitcoins should just transfer the coins from wallet to wallet once a year.
So if I'm going to jail for 10 years, my coins will be stolen from me? Bad idea.

Two other threads on the topic from within the last month:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=104422.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=109117.0
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 06:15:22 PM

Come-from-Beyond you do realize that you can take the Bitcoin source code, modify it how ever you like and start your own crypto currency that will follow the rules you want it to follow..

If you aren't happy with Bitcoin the way it is, why not do that? We'll all be thankful and move to your currency if it turns out better than Bitcoin!

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2012, 06:21:40 PM

I don't get where this argument comes from. I've seen it many times. Making this argument requires a fatal flaw in logical thinking. Let me explain this in a simple way:

People lose bitcoins -> value of remaining bitcoins go up -> average bitcoin user has less bitcoins -> people lose less bitcoins on average -> price still goes up -> average bitcoin user has again less bitcoins -> people lose less bitcoins on average.

So in the long term this will only cause the price of bitcoins to go up a bit and for people to lose less bitcoins after that. Even in a million years we wouldn't reach 0 bitcoins and as you all should know, bitcoins can be divided to smaller pieces quite effectively.

This argument is broken even without taking into account how educated people are in using Bitcoin. That is entirely irrelevant for countering this argument. Taking care of your bitcoins is a smart thing to do though, so I'm all for it. Smiley

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 06:24:16 PM

Come-from-Beyond you do realize that you can take the Bitcoin source code, modify it how ever you like and start your own crypto currency that will follow the rules you want it to follow..

If you aren't happy with Bitcoin the way it is, why not do that? We'll all be thankful and move to your currency if it turns out better than Bitcoin!

Ok. I'll send u personal invitation. It's almost ready, just tuning minting algo. Should take 2-3 months.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 06:27:08 PM

So if I'm going to jail for 10 years, my coins will be stolen from me? Bad idea.

Two other threads on the topic from within the last month:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=104422.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=109117.0

This thread is better. It was started quite earlier. Smiley
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3332
Merit: 4492

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 06:34:46 PM

I don't get where this argument comes from. <snip>

I'm pretty sure it comes from over 2 years ago.

Hello,
<snip>

You know, back when Satoshi himself (or herself? or themselves?) was/were still participating in dicsussions.

Lost coins only make everyone else's coins worth slightly more.  Think of it as a donation to everyone.
Kupsi
Legendary

Activity: 1193
Merit: 1003

9.9.2012: I predict that single digits... <- FAIL

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 06:49:59 PM

This thread is better. It was started quite earlier. Smiley
Yes, if you're not looking for updated information...
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 07:47:54 PM

No

No it's not a good idea. It's a shitty idea

In case it is not clear: NO

Why the hell every week someone must come up with the same fail idea?

justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1006

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 07:52:31 PM

Why the hell every week someone must come up with the same fail idea?
Because the idea of not being able to steal other people's money fills them with great anxiety.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: