Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 05:53:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Power draw on GPU inputs?  (Read 200 times)
hcwh (OP)

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 23, 2017, 02:04:33 AM

When using powered risers, you have power inputs on the riser as well as on the top of the card.  Has anyone tested how much is drawn through each?  Is one significantly more than the other?  I want to use SATA power cables on the one that pulls less power.  If one pulls a lot less, then I might consider using a SATA power cable for 3+ GPUs, but I don't want to do that if it's going to be too much to handle.  This would likely be on a rig with lower powered cards like 1060s, so it seems like it may be feasible.  Currently I'm using no more than two SATA connections per cable and they don't seem to be getting warm.
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
June 23, 2017, 02:11:35 AM

Powered risers draw about 40-50W each. Never use SATA connectors to power the VGA power inputs, only use PCI-E 6/8 pin cables and never use more than two SATA or molex connectors per cable to power risers. You also need to get a power usage meter. For ~$20 they are a necessity to help you manage the rig efficiently.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: