Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 01:47:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How fragile is the pot we're putting our money in?  (Read 2448 times)
deepcolderwallet (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 103

View Profile
June 23, 2017, 02:19:09 AM

The main threats to Bitcoin are widely known, like 51% attack, Quantum computing breaking criptography, etc.

But based on this:

Although we all wish Bitcoin will some day be the #1 in value exchange worldwide adopted, it's easy to see that economically speaking Bitcoin is still a dwarf.

I can imagine many reasons Bankers and/or Governments would want to shut down and forbid decentralized trustless criptocurrencies. So what is stopping them to do this?

You'll say: 1st they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you and then (maybe) you win.

In my opinion Bitcoin economic size puts it in the "they laugh at you" level, as we can see MSM is doing in this: https://news.bitcoin.com/mainstream-journalist-makes-bizarre-attempt-at-living-for-a-week-using-bitcoin/

If I'm right, the next step is "they fight you".

How do you fellows see weapons and tactics to take Bitcoin over by a powerful agent? Don't even need to bring a counter-attack tactic, just how would you smart guys do that if you had unlimited economic power.

If you'd like to help me saving for my babie's future, bitcoin:1QCD4EYjeuEGjVCxkD7PAD2feEVEMYvpGU
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Cranky4u

Activity: 810
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2017, 02:50:33 AM

Use a public campaign claiming BTC is used for money laundering, funding criminals / terroists and unsafe. Oh, hang on, they have already been saying that for the past 5 years...

Anyone else agree we are already past the fight section?

I think we are now in the 'lets compete by making an authorised version' hence the big banks and government moving to blockchain technology whilst still ridiculing crypto-currencies in general.

cpfreeplz
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1042

View Profile
June 23, 2017, 02:56:35 AM

Breaking news 2018: Trump wants to take over bitcoins and orders all of America to fight the war on cryptocurrencies by developing their own super asic to beat the Chinese at their own game. Every American will have to buy an asic and join TrumoPool to enjoy their freedoms. 51% attack to follow.
deepcolderwallet (OP)

View Profile
June 23, 2017, 02:59:09 AM

Use a public campaign claiming BTC is used for money laundering, funding criminals / terroists and unsafe. Oh, hang on, they have already been saying that for the past 5 years...

I think we are now in the 'lets compete by making an authorised version' hence the big banks and government moving to blockchain technology whilst still ridiculing crypto-currencies in general.

This is a losing tactic. I believe Bitcoin is anti-fragile, public campaigns would only raise attention for Bitcoin.

If you'd like to help me saving for my babie's future, bitcoin:1QCD4EYjeuEGjVCxkD7PAD2feEVEMYvpGU
deepcolderwallet (OP)

View Profile
June 23, 2017, 03:02:17 AM

Breaking news 2018: Trump wants to take over bitcoins and orders all of America to fight the war on cryptocurrencies by developing their own super asic to beat the Chinese at their own game. Every American will have to buy an asic and join TrumoPool to enjoy their freedoms. 51% attack to follow.

That definitely would MAGA. If POTUS decide not to shut crypto down, we would get finally rid of Wu's evil empire.

bitserve
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1464

Self made HODLER ✓

View Profile
June 23, 2017, 03:06:59 AM

That definitely would MAGA. If POTUS decide not to shut crypto down, we would get finally rid of Wu's evil empire.

As much as I don't like Wu tactics, there's something your should consider. Wu is way more invested in Bitcoin than 99.99% so, no matter what tactics he employs in the short/medium term it is in his best interest that Bitcoin is a fucking success in the long term.

19VBmRQVqrtNTGiwngZutwREagcKxJgVZM
deepcolderwallet (OP)

View Profile
June 23, 2017, 03:13:08 AM

As much as I don't like Wu tactics, there's something your should consider. Wu is way more invested in Bitcoin than 99.99% so, no matter what tactics he employs in the short/medium term it is in his best interest that Bitcoin is a fucking success in the long term.

You have a point, sir.
Unless Wu is just a character played by People's Republic of China, which surely may not have the best interests.

bitserve
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1464

Self made HODLER ✓

View Profile
June 23, 2017, 03:21:53 AM

You have a point, sir.
Unless Wu is just a character played by People's Republic of China, which surely may not have the best interests.

Oh yes, that's another posibility... If Wu is a figurehead for someone with other interests, his actions will uncover him in the long term.

About the PBOC i am not 100% sure Bitcoin is not in their best interests. And I would guess they are also not sure. The macroeconomic implications of Bitcoin are so complex that I don't think no parties really know. And that's why no government has made any extreme move about it.

19VBmRQVqrtNTGiwngZutwREagcKxJgVZM
deepcolderwallet (OP)

View Profile
June 23, 2017, 03:32:27 AM

The macroeconomic implications of Bitcoin are so complex that I don't think no parties really know. And that's why no government has made any extreme move about it.

Except for a few stupid congressmen moved by the smell of their asses.

TimJBenham

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 23, 2017, 01:04:50 PM

About the PBOC i am not 100% sure Bitcoin is not in their best interests. And I would guess they are also not sure. The macroeconomic implications of Bitcoin are so complex that I don't think no parties really know. And that's why no government has made any extreme move about it.

Bitcoin is a means to subvert PBOC policy so it is hard to see how they can be in favor of it. Wu will be a tool of PRC policy when the Central Committee decides it has a Bitcoin policy. China is a communist dictatorship.

You are a warlord in the outskirts of the known world struggling to establish a kingdom in the wild lands.
AK47-

Activity: 644
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 23, 2017, 01:30:31 PM

If any organization will try to shutdown cryptocurrencies, It will make them even more popular especially among a demographic that had previously never heard of Bitcoin or other cryptocurrency. Moreover, if they will try to target the websites providing wallets and all. Many more will come up just like torrents one. It is really tough to end all the cryptocurrency world. Thus many governments are trying to ignore its presence and not bringing it to limelight much.
deepcolderwallet (OP)

View Profile
June 23, 2017, 11:09:12 PM
Last edit: June 24, 2017, 01:25:48 AM by deepcolderwallet

Bitcoin is a means to subvert PBOC policy so it is hard to see how they can be in favor of it. Wu will be a tool of PRC policy when the Central Committee decides it has a Bitcoin policy. China is a communist dictatorship.

THANK. YOU.

Finally someone is catching with how I see the way it works.

deepcolderwallet (OP)

View Profile
June 24, 2017, 01:40:48 AM

Also you're confusing Bitcoin for Blockchain Technology. Two different things, Bitcoin was just the technology's first adopter.

deepcolderwallet (OP)

View Profile
June 24, 2017, 01:42:37 AM

Oh yes, that's another posibility... If Wu is a figurehead for someone with other interests, his actions will uncover him in the long term.

You say his actions will uncover him in long term... Isn't it already happening? Or happened? Have you already forgot the Unlimited fiasco?

classicsucks

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

View Profile
June 24, 2017, 06:59:38 AM

If any government entity could control Bitcoin, they could use it to strengthen their exchange rates and weaken others, say the USD for example.  It seems fairly obvious that the Chinese government is subsidizing certain miners with free electricity from hydro dams for mining, etc.

Bitcoin can be used for capital flight out of China, but it can also be used to flee other currencies and pump money into China. Isn't that net effect of the block rewards when they're mined in China and sold for USD?
taxmanmt5
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1024

View Profile
June 24, 2017, 08:52:37 AM

There is much more to running an exchange than that, but it was just to prove a point that the exchanges, esspecially prior to KYC and other regs, have the best spot in the business.  Higher fees and more traffic than the mining pools and the exchange is more of a "needed" part of the Bitcoin process.
Kryptowerk
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1401

Disobey.

View Profile
June 24, 2017, 01:11:18 PM

The main threats to Bitcoin are widely known, like 51% attack, Quantum computing breaking criptography, etc.

But based on this:

Although we all wish Bitcoin will some day be the #1 in value exchange worldwide adopted, it's easy to see that economically speaking Bitcoin is still a dwarf.

I can imagine many reasons Bankers and/or Governments would want to shut down and forbid decentralized trustless criptocurrencies. So what is stopping them to do this?

You'll say: 1st they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you and then (maybe) you win.

In my opinion Bitcoin economic size puts it in the "they laugh at you" level, as we can see MSM is doing in this: https://news.bitcoin.com/mainstream-journalist-makes-bizarre-attempt-at-living-for-a-week-using-bitcoin/

If I'm right, the next step is "they fight you".

How do you fellows see weapons and tactics to take Bitcoin over by a powerful agent? Don't even need to bring a counter-attack tactic, just how would you smart guys do that if you had unlimited economic power.
That's a pretty cool comparison chart. Did you create it?
However I have to admit: I am suprised the total money in circulation is only 2000x the current value of BTC. My gut feeling was always more like 20000x. This means a price of $2M+ for one BTC is pretty much impossible, unless there is a very high worldwide inflation. Based on these numbers I can't see BTC ever be valued higher than 100x of its current price.

Get educated about Bitcoin. Check out Andreas Antonopoulos on Youtube. An old but gold talk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc744Z9IjhY

Daniel Schmachtenberger on The Meta-Crisis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kBoLVvoqVY&t=288s One of the most important talks about the current state of this planet. Go check it out.
MFahad

Activity: 2464
Merit: 644

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2017, 10:28:41 PM

The US government found the sweet spot with regulation.  They will not push much further.  Getting them at the in and out doors is the way to go and the only real legal way that they had a chance.  They knew they could get the exchanges to play alone and be good little boys because they are too afraid of losing the fees. 

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬
deepcolderwallet (OP)

View Profile
June 27, 2017, 12:53:26 AM

That's a pretty cool comparison chart. Did you create it?

No, I found it here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=178336.msg19721723#msg19721723

iamTom123

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 27, 2017, 07:57:23 AM

The idea that China will not harm Bitcoin because it is in the interest of the country not to seems to be effective in the Western type of thinking. But that kind of thinking is not true when we talk about countries already outside of the influence of Western democracies.

As proven in the past, given the right climate, China has a trait of committing unexpected things in order to protect its own interest. We are seeing it now -- as a foretaste -- in the fight for islets and islands located so far away from its economic boundaries. China right now appears to be a sheep wearing a while robe but deep inside its leadership is implementing a long-planned global domination economically, politically and even yes militarily.

I am always wary of China and the more other countries could open up for Bitcoin the better it will be for the cryptocurrency.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: