Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:51:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Let's make a molecule adding one atom at a time.  (Read 738 times)
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2013, 05:25:16 AM

H

Hydrogen Atom

Now, add another atom or a subsequent subscript, naming the new chemical fomula, e.g., if H20, then Water (Molecule).

Once there's a consus that nothing more can be added to create a newly named molecule, then we'll swap out atoms, again at a ratio of 1:1.

Begin:

H
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3042

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 05:42:01 AM

H2 (Hydrogen)

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
AzureEngineer

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 05:44:44 AM

CH2

My name was simply a play on "Blue Engineer" from Team Fortress. I am not affiliated with Microsoft or the Azure project.
Foxpup
Legendary

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 05:57:56 AM

CH2 (Carbene)
FTFY. Although there's only one molecule with that formula, that'll change once our molecule gets bigger and more complex, so you need to be more specific than just a molecular formula.

CH2O (Formaldehyde)

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 07:34:13 AM

C2H2O - Oxirene

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
meowmeowbrowncow

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 01:45:53 PM

C2H2O - Oxirene

C2H2OF4

Tetrafluorodimethyl ether

"Bitcoin has been an amazing ride, but the most fascinating part to me is the seemingly universal tendency of libertarians to immediately become authoritarians the very moment they are given any measure of power to silence the dissent of others."  - The Bible
Foxpup
Legendary

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 02:05:06 PM

C2H2OF4

Tetrafluorodimethyl ether
Hey! You're only supposed to add one atom at a time! Not four! That's cheating! Now you've made it slightly harder for the rest of us. Are you happy? I'm not. Angry

C3H2F4O (1,1,3,3-tetrafluoroacetone)

AzureEngineer

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 02:55:03 PM

C3H2F4O2 (2,2,4,5-Tetrafluoro-1,3-dioxolane)

My name was simply a play on "Blue Engineer" from Team Fortress. I am not affiliated with Microsoft or the Azure project.
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 03:27:15 PM

Proposal: don't build on molecules built with more than one additional atom

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2013, 05:00:24 PM

Proposal: don't build on molecules built with more than one additional atom

The only reason I aced Chemistry in HS is because I was able to do the math and figured out the moles, otherwise the entire subject eludes me, but does fascinate me.

Feel free to tweak the requirements that I originally laid out in the OP to make this thread a more enjoyable learning experience.
AzureEngineer

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 06:08:53 PM

I think he is referring to a previous poster that added four flourine atoms in a single post.

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2013, 06:18:36 PM

C4H2F4O2 (2,2,3,3-Tetrafluorocyclopropanecarboxylic acid)
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2013, 03:27:55 AM

UuoC4H2F4O2 (Ununoctium-2,2,3,3-Tetrafluorocyclopropanecarboxylate, also popularly known as thread-breaking salt. Cheesy)

Let me guess: You want to be a salt miner.

C4H2F4O3 (Difluoroacetic Anhydride)

Serious question: What does the 2s & 3s represent in (2,2,3,3-Tetrafluorocyclopropanecarboxylic acid)?
Foxpup
Legendary

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 04:06:59 AM

Serious question: What does the 2s & 3s represent in (2,2,3,3-Tetrafluorocyclopropanecarboxylic acid)?
They indicate the location of the fluoro- groups on the carbon chain. Each carbon atom on the chain is numbered, and the functional groups are numbered according to which carbon atom they are attached to, in cases where the molecular formula is ambiguous. For example, in the case of 2,2,3,3-tetrafluorocyclopropanecarboxylic acid, this is the molecular structure, with the carbons numbered:
Code:
     F
    /
F-(2)      O
   | \    //
   | (1)-C
   | /    \
F-(3)      OH
    \
     F
(Numbering starts from the primary group, which is this case is the carboxylic acid group (-C(=O)OH). Not shown is the extra hydrogen attached to 1, which is implied by the fact that it only has three single bonds instead of four.)

This system is necessary to avoid confusion with other molecules sharing the same formula, such as 2,2,3,4-tetrafluoro-3-butenoic acid, and 3,3,4,4-tetrafluorodihydro-2(3H)-furanone, which both also have the molecular formula C4H2F4O2.

myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2013, 04:09:51 AM

They indicate the location of the fluoro- groups on the carbon chain. Each carbon atom on the chain is numbered, and the functional groups are numbered according to which carbon atom they are attached to, in cases where the molecular formula is ambiguous. For example, in the case of 2,2,3,3-tetrafluorocyclopropanecarboxylic acid, this is the molecular structure, with the carbons numbered:

Much better than I was going to explain it. I commend your ASCII art skills, as well. Smiley

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: