Bitcoin Forum
November 21, 2017, 03:09:40 AM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.15.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to recover btc after windows reinstall  (Read 5874 times)
HCP

Activity: 420

<insert witty quote here>

View Profile
July 26, 2017, 03:12:33 AM

I am paying a professional company to do a raw recovery on my hard drive.  Question what exactly is needed to recover my bitcoins from bitcoin core?  wallet.dat file only?
Yes, from Bitcoin Core, the wallet.dat file is everything... If you have that, it is generally a simple matter of reinstalling Bitcoin Core, running it once so that it sets up a wallet.dat... shutting it down and replacing the new wallet.dat with your recovered wallet.dat. Start Core up and all your addresses should be available. NOTE: unless the new instance of Bitcoin Core is sync'd, you may not see the transaction history or correct balance (but you can still access private keys/addresses etc).

Obviously, you'll also need to know the passphrase (if any) for your recovered wallet.dat file to be able to access the private keys and/or spend coins Wink

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Join ICO Now Coinlancer is Disrupting the Freelance marketplace!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
morbius55

Activity: 103

View Profile
July 26, 2017, 06:33:09 AM

I am paying a professional company to do a raw recovery on my hard drive.  Question what exactly is needed to recover my bitcoins from bitcoin core?  wallet.dat file only?
Make sure you trust them 100%, you would never know if they had or hadn't recovered it. I presume it is a fair value of BTC that you are trying to recover. is the company experienced in Bitcoin recovery particularly?. Good luck.
morbius55

Activity: 103

View Profile
August 26, 2017, 09:42:21 AM

Was the wallet encrypted (did it have a password)? If it wasn't encrypted then attempting salvaging the coins will be easier than if it was.

There is an alternative to using pywallet, but it requires more time and effort.

If it wasn't encrypted you could use a hex editor capable of searching a whole hard drive to search for this string of bytes 0201010420. The next the thirty-two bytes after that string could be a private key.

If you find one you can change it from raw hex to a normal format by pasting the thirty-two bytes into an offline copy of this webpage, which will also give you its associated address.

https://www.bitaddress.org/

This post explains how to use the webpage.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1961924.msg19522772#msg19522772

This hex editor is capable of searching a whole hard drive.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/wxhexeditor/

These screenshots explain how to open a disk, then search it for the hex string.

Click "devices", then "open disk device", then select the disk letter you want to search.

Click "edit", then "find".

This window should open. Paste the hex string into the the text box labelled "search", then click the button labelled "find all" and wait a very long time for it to search the whole drive.

If you try it run all software offline inside a virtual machine like virtualbox or vmware. Don't ever risk putting a private key on a computer that will ever be connected to the internet.

If you find any private keys you can install the electrum wallet and either import or sweep them into it using these instructions.

http://docs.electrum.org/en/latest/faq.html#can-i-import-private-keys-from-other-bitcoin-clients

http://docs.electrum.org/en/latest/faq.html#can-i-sweep-private-keys-from-other-bitcoin-clients

Electrum should sync almost immediately and give you fast access to your coins.

Don't ever boot from that hard drive again because doing so could wipe all traces of your coins.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       So I have been trying this method by searching through the corrupt wallet.dat after moving it onto a usb stick. I have searched for the 0420 pattern and it has returned 400 odd results, but I don't know if these results will be possible private keys. I followed the advice of it possibly being the 32 bytes following the sequence and have run the first two through bitaddress which gave me a private key in WIF. I then imported them into my Electrum wallet and unsurprisingly the balance is zero. So I have some questions and would be grateful for any answers. 1. Will any 64 hex character number that is run through bitaddress produce a private key, real or not. 2. Is the fact that I can search this wallet.dat with a hex editor mean it is unencrypted?. 3. How accurate is the 0420 sequence in finding private keys and is over 400 of these in a wallet.dat a usual amount. Thanks again for any info.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.