Bitcoin Forum
November 23, 2017, 09:09:32 PM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.15.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to recover btc after windows reinstall  (Read 5911 times)
morbius55

Activity: 109

View Profile
July 18, 2017, 05:06:10 PM

Couple of questions please.
I can run salvagewallet without core shutting down but each time it runs it rescans and creates another BAK file,  and increases the wallet.dat file in size each time, any idea why?.
Also, how do you run dump private keys function and is it worth a try?. Cheers. Martin.
Just ran dumprivkey in console with the one receiving address and it has shown a key beginning with k, would that be anything of interest?. it is a capital K and the key is 52 characters long.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- gmaxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
HI-TEC99
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile
July 18, 2017, 05:43:22 PM

Just ran dumprivkey in console with the one receiving address and it has shown a key beginning with k, would that be anything of interest?.

That's a Private Key in WIF Compressed format. You can import or sweep it into a wallet like electrum to spend any coins associated with it. These are the instructions explaining how to do it.

http://docs.electrum.org/en/latest/faq.html#can-i-import-private-keys-from-other-bitcoin-clients

http://docs.electrum.org/en/latest/faq.html#can-i-sweep-private-keys-from-other-bitcoin-clients

Sweeping's probably better than importing, but it doesn't really matter which technique you use.

You can download electrum from here.

https://electrum.org/#download
morbius55

View Profile
July 18, 2017, 05:46:36 PM

Just in case anything messes up can I download and run electrum with core still running and console open etc?
HI-TEC99
Legendary

View Profile
July 18, 2017, 05:52:08 PM

Just in case anything messes up can I download and run electrum with core still running and console open etc?

Yes, running electrum at the same time as core shouldn't be a problem.

Before importing your key into electrum I recommend searching for its associated Bitcoin address here. If blockchain.info shows no funds in that address then there's not much point importing it into electrum.

https://blockchain.info/
morbius55

View Profile
July 18, 2017, 06:16:43 PM

Before importing your key into electrum I recommend searching for its associated Bitcoin address here. If blockchain.info shows no funds in that address then there's not much point importing it into electrum.

No funds unfortunately, any idea on the BAK files that keep being created?.
HI-TEC99
Legendary

View Profile
July 18, 2017, 06:23:02 PM

No funds unfortunately, any idea on the BAK files that keep being created?.

I'm not very familiar with Bitcoin core, there are people here much better qualified than me to answer questions about it.

However, i think there's some kind of bug affecting the salvagewallet command, and that creates BAK files. I don't know how to fix the problem though.

https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/7463
ikezar

Activity: 10

View Profile
July 18, 2017, 07:30:49 PM

I suggest looking into Disk Drill by Cleverfiles, I have successfully used that tool to recover files deleted and from drives that have been re-partitioned.  Wallet files are small enough you can recover anything the approximate right size you find for free with the trial version.

For clarity, in this recovery attempt you are only reading from the drive in question correct?  Not trying to run or write anything to the drive anymore?  The less you do to the drive the better.

You might also consider talking to someone like "Dave Bitcoin" (you can find him easily) who has many years experience helping people recover wallets for a 20% bounty (only on the ones he is successful on).
papercoins

Activity: 12

View Profile
July 19, 2017, 01:18:28 AM

what files are required to recover your BTC?  I am having same issue with my bitcoin core and did not back up the private passkey.
HCP

Activity: 434

<insert witty quote here>

View Profile
July 19, 2017, 01:32:24 AM

If you don't know your wallet passphrase, then trying to recover your coins from Bitcoin Core will be quite difficult. There is no way to recover the private keys from an encrypted wallet.dat file without the passphrase.

You'll need your wallet.dat file and to use a script like btcrecover (https://github.com/gurnec/btcrecover) to be able to try and recover the passphrase.

papercoins

View Profile
July 19, 2017, 01:50:45 AM

is the passphrase the same as the password used to send transfers with?  if so I have that.  Can I use only the passphrase to recover my coins?
HCP

View Profile
July 19, 2017, 03:13:01 AM

... and did not back up the private passkey.
oh... so you mean you didn't backup your private keys?  How old was your wallet... was it setup before v0.13? or is it relatively new (ie. was it an HD wallet)?

You cannot recover with just the passphrase... you need a copy of your wallet.dat file!

papercoins

View Profile
July 19, 2017, 04:54:34 AM

iv had the wallet for at least 4 years.  I was able to access the files they look to still be intact I found bitcoin-core1 but it was in a .js file and also a .svg file
not sure how to access the wallet.dat file
HCP

View Profile
July 19, 2017, 06:36:49 AM

Ok, so you mean you deleted/reformatted your drive and you're trying to recover files?

Well, the actual wallet file for Bitcoin Qt/Core is "wallet.dat". If you don't have a wallet.dat file, then your wallet is gone. Unless you can recover the wallet.dat file, there is nothing else for you to do at this point except consider professional recovery services that may be able to run deeper scans on your drive.

morbius55

View Profile
July 19, 2017, 06:36:12 PM

I'm trying to install pywallet in Windows 10 but can't get any further. I am trying to follow achow101's instructions but where it says shift and right click at the ez setup folder, I don't get an option to open a command window here. Could someone give me some pointers so I can progress further with the install. Thanks.
HCP

View Profile
July 19, 2017, 07:10:02 PM

Make sure you haven't highlighted a file when you shift+right click...

highlight the folder and shift+right click and you should get either "open a command window here" or possibly "open Powershell window here" (as I think one of the recent Windows 10 updates tried to make Powershell the default instead of command)...

If you really need a command prompt... Press "start"... type cmd and press enter... it will open a command prompt... but probably not at the correct location... you'll need to figure out the path to this "ez setup" folder... and use the "cd" command (http://www.digitalcitizen.life/command-prompt-how-use-basic-commands)

morbius55

View Profile
July 19, 2017, 07:33:19 PM

It opens a command shell window, do I type ez_setup.py in there? do I leave any spaces and do I press enter?. thanks.
TheReamer

Activity: 154

View Profile
July 19, 2017, 08:29:18 PM

Maybe try recuva

HCP

View Profile
July 20, 2017, 11:33:33 AM

It opens a command shell window, do I type ez_setup.py in there? do I leave any spaces and do I press enter?. thanks.
I have no idea what instructions you're following... or what exactly you're doing... so once you have the command prompt (or powershell) opened where you need it, I guess you should just continue following the instructions

neuralnet

View Profile
July 20, 2017, 03:15:25 PM

Undecided thanks for any info in here.
papercoins

View Profile
July 25, 2017, 10:29:24 PM

I am paying a professional company to do a raw recovery on my hard drive.  Question what exactly is needed to recover my bitcoins from bitcoin core?  wallet.dat file only?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.