Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:55:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: NVidia miners and post-ether mining  (Read 2592 times)
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
June 26, 2017, 04:52:26 PM

After the end of Ethereum mining, I will I think equally split my rigs between Ethereum Classic and ZCash. That is what most people will do I think

And thats the problem Cheesy

After ETH ends, everything will end with it, there is no other altcoin that could support that much hashing power without killing profits in the process.

You know, we are definitely in a golden age, because back at the beggining of the year, mining was ten times less profitable, but yet still profitable ! So I believe we will simply get back to the mean. Also, AMD cards are bad at ZCash mining, so this will be left only for Nvidia cards, which are a lot less numerous.

If you compare vs MSRP, AMD cards are pretty close to NVidia on hash/$ for ZEC - and they're a tossup on hash/watt at any price.
 They just don't ramp quite as high - yet - since AMD hasn't released new-gen "enthusiast" level cards yet, just mainstream ones.

Risk is growing pretty fast, with prices dropping on most or all of the "big cap" coins AND total hashrate still growing fast, while reward has dropped quite a bit just in the last week.
 It's starting to look a bit iffy again on "will one achieve ROI if I build a new rig TODAY" for a lot of options - though if your electric cost is low, you should still manage ROI at some point.

If profitability drops back to where it was 6 months ago, I personally will be fine - I was plenty profitable THEN - but it would drive quite a few folks out of the mining business like the last "bust" did, at least for a while.

On the other hand, we might see another "price jump" stage too - no way to know for sure.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
h311m4n

Activity: 487
Merit: 266

View Profile
June 26, 2017, 05:49:24 PM

After the end of Ethereum mining, I will I think equally split my rigs between Ethereum Classic and ZCash. That is what most people will do I think

And thats the problem Cheesy

After ETH ends, everything will end with it, there is no other altcoin that could support that much hashing power without killing profits in the process.

You know, we are definitely in a golden age, because back at the beggining of the year, mining was ten times less profitable, but yet still profitable ! So I believe we will simply get back to the mean. Also, AMD cards are bad at ZCash mining, so this will be left only for Nvidia cards, which are a lot less numerous.

Kind of agree with this, except for the zcash part. Back when I started mid-last year, ETH wasn't worth much yet people were mining it like crazy. I also don't believe that after ETH goes to POS everything else will end. Sure some people will stop mining, maybe profits will drop, but isn't this kind what happened in 2016? Things weren't looking great last year.

I might be wrong or blind about this, but I don't believe that 2017 will be the end of mining. ETH going to POS might actually be a good thing for the crypto world. There are so many posts and videos everywhere about "what cards to mine eth" and other noob posts (not judging, I was a noob once too, but come on, just do your research like I did when I started...!) that makes you realise many people are in for the quick buck but don't know much about the technical aspects of it all. This ETH craze isn't necessarily the best thing for the crypto world.

A smart miner today doesn't put all his rigs on ETH anyway...personally, I never have! Diversity means survival.

Myself, I'm only investing what I can afford to lose. I ROIed my hardware a while back already. We'll see what happens within the next months.
BellicoseBenny

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 26, 2017, 09:36:15 PM

Eth is going hybrid and htey aren't ready yet...

People getting out of alt coin mining* now have no balls if they can get their hands on hardware at a good price. The numbers are clear

Risk is low and rewards are high.

The "numbers" as you say, are indeed clear but your conclusion is not.

Risk is high and getting higher, rewards are low and dropping daily.

Think of it as a hobby and you won't get burnt.

The risk really is high,
the rewards are still ok i guess,
but are droping fast,
and it will probably be down to 1$/day per RX card
in about 2 months time or even sooner.

Kindda late to start mining atm, not only because of the difficulty rising and coin value droping, but also because hardware is just too expensive.
We used to buy RX470/570 cards for 200$, 1070 cost 380$ back then, now its like 30% up or even more.  

There is no bottoming out, teh risk are very small with mining...Not speculation

Your hedge is your hardware

Assuming you paid a reasonable price for your hardware anyway.

If you have something better to be investing in with similar risks, I'm all ears.

But from where I'm sitting worst case is I lose half my investment trying to re sell it all second hand the day after I can't return anything. That's not huge risk considering the rewards, this is like investing in penny stocks with no way to bottom out
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
June 27, 2017, 12:22:13 AM

There is no bottoming out, teh risk are very small with mining...Not speculation

Your hedge is your hardware

Assuming you paid a reasonable price for your hardware anyway.

VERY bad assumption on Polaris-based cards the last month, and turning into a VERY bad assumption as well on the GTX 1060 and 1070 this past week or so.

On the other hand, profitability RIGHT NOW is still very high compared to 3+ months ago, even with the major slide this week - but there is no certainty that it will STAY high or for how long if it DOES do so.

Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
BellicoseBenny

View Profile
June 27, 2017, 02:47:52 AM

As long as you didn't pay more than a gamer would have for it new...You'll be able to dump it if you want.

If you payed 400+ for a 1070, you better pray

Risk reward ratio is excellent.
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
June 27, 2017, 06:27:40 PM

As long as you didn't pay more than a gamer would have for it new...You'll be able to dump it if you want.

400 actually is quite good for a 1070 - it's folks paying 400+ for any RX series card or 600+ for a 1070 that are at some serious risk.

Even BEFORE the price jump, you pretty much had to get "sales" to get under 400 on the 1070 - and a lot of them were normally 430-480 range.

BellicoseBenny

View Profile
June 27, 2017, 07:26:36 PM

400 actually is quite good for a 1070 - it's folks paying 400+ for any RX series card or 600+ for a 1070 that are at some serious risk.

Even BEFORE the price jump, you pretty much had to get "sales" to get under 400 on the 1070 - and a lot of them were normally 430-480 range.

To a miner who's making profit right now, sure

I"m not saying don't buy them at that price. Just saying if you want out and to sell it, a gamer isn't gonna pay you 200 for it used if margins are crashing in mining.

I paid 450 for a g1 1080 I use to in a personal use rig not 2 months ago...a 1070 is worth 300 new to a gamer with sense. (again not in this market)
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: