Bitcoin Forum
June 07, 2024, 08:54:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: wanting to develop a modular gpu adapter and cooling system for personal farms  (Read 354 times)
Blkmktinsurance (OP)

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 25, 2017, 05:21:12 PM

Hi, I don't post much, it seems like all the information I need and my commentary is already posted by someone else.

I am wanting to develop a product to help all altcoin gpu miners who run small to medium sized farms.

Summer is here again, and I am sick of constantly needing to find cooling solutions for my farms. I pay up to 15 dollars per pcie riser and mess around with building frames for hours when I build a new rig. Still, that rig needs special cooling when it's sat down on a self with 6 other rigs, which involves external fans, and baffles for airflow, which is more time and money.

I want to build a modular, expandable (from 1 to 10) gpu adapter and cooling box with powered intake and exhaust fans and hookups for intake and exhaust ducts. I don't want to reinvent the wheel here but I cannot find a retailer that has anything close to what I want.

I'm hoping to keep the cost down to around 50 dollars per adapter, but it will enable people to set their miners in better arrangements and cope with 90+ F temps.

Does anyone else have a need for something like this or am I alone in summertime heat problems?

What should I try to sell them at?
Bfljosh

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

Skol!

View Profile
June 25, 2017, 05:28:33 PM

Hi, I don't post much, it seems like all the information I need and my commentary is already posted by someone else.

I am wanting to develop a product to help all altcoin gpu miners who run small to medium sized farms.

Summer is here again, and I am sick of constantly needing to find cooling solutions for my farms. I pay up to 15 dollars per pcie riser and mess around with building frames for hours when I build a new rig. Still, that rig needs special cooling when it's sat down on a self with 6 other rigs, which involves external fans, and baffles for airflow, which is more time and money.

I want to build a modular, expandable (from 1 to 10) gpu adapter and cooling box with powered intake and exhaust fans and hookups for intake and exhaust ducts. I don't want to reinvent the wheel here but I cannot find a retailer that has anything close to what I want.

I'm hoping to keep the cost down to around 50 dollars per adapter, but it will enable people to set their miners in better arrangements and cope with 90+ F temps.

Does anyone else have a need for something like this or am I alone in summertime heat problems?

What should I try to sell them at?

Buy your risers at Aliexpress they are around 3.50-4.50 Euro per piece and you have buyer's protection.

Clean your gpus and add new cooling paste every half year or so. Its 35 degrees Celsius here and my hottest card is around 78 degrees. Most of them are between 60 and 72 degrees.

Check this out: http://www.cocolink.co.kr/product.html
shyliar

Activity: 728

View Profile
June 25, 2017, 05:43:04 PM

Sounds like a fun project; but, a lot of work. At one time I had as much as 7kW worth of mining equipment running and it did generate a lot of heat. So much so that I kept various windows in the house open until temperatures reached at least -15 degrees C. Great during the winter with no additional heating costs, miserable in the summer.

My solution in the summer was to run my rigs in a bedroom that had two windows, one for cool air intake and the other for exhaust. I used the fanin the link below in one window. Additionally the windows were facing north so that side of the house was a little cooler. At 2800 CFM on high speed it changed the air in a 16x10 room a couple of times a minute (in theory...the window screen slowed things down). I did make a frame out of plywood that the fan mounded to and fit exactly in the window grooves. Room temperature was about the same as outside the window. My time 60 minutes.

http://www.globalindustrial.ca/p/hvac/fans/agricultural/jd-es-shutter-fan-16-inch-indoor-outdoor-115v1ph-3-speed-aluminum-shutters-9ft-cord
Blkmktinsurance (OP)

View Profile
June 25, 2017, 07:04:30 PM

I'm up to about 29kW and about to double. I guess there just aren't a whole bunch of us out there going as big as possible.

Yes you can get risers cheaper, but I buy from someone who tests them and I'm guaranteed a working lot, and it ships in a week. I've bought cheap ones and had 2 of 10 that were soldered bad. I don't have time to plan and coordinate my orders and shipments further than a week. I also don't have time to wait on parts, so 15 is what I pay.

And yeah I do have a cleaning schedule, I clean one rig twice a week.

It's the heat that gets recirculated that causes me issues. If everything was sealed it would control heat much better.

When it reaches 100F here I run into gpu throttling issues and I have to check cards one by one until I find the one who's settings have defaulted.. It's tedious and it's difficult to see when a worker drops only 10 to 15 hashes. The other day I noticed one rig was running at 120 instead of 144 because two cards were throttled and i hadn't caught it in weeks.

I'm working on a prototype, my mock up is a newegg box and an msi lightning. I'll share pics soon.
Blkmktinsurance (OP)

View Profile
June 25, 2017, 07:19:59 PM

I think I klimaxed
Bfljosh

Activity: 714

Skol!

View Profile
June 25, 2017, 07:26:45 PM

I hope not over your keyboard?  Cheesy
Blkmktinsurance (OP)

View Profile
June 25, 2017, 08:49:37 PM

Nah I'm on a phone. After I realized computers are really miners, I don't use them for really anything other than mining. Haha

I have to make something because I'm on a trip to the hardware store right now for another shutter fan for the miners. It would be easier if all my gpu's had duct hookups, I could just put a new exhaust fan in the roof for every 4 rigs and be way more comfortable with the costs and not needing to rearrange and direct air to prevent one exhaust overpowering the other..
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: