Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 02:25:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Building A Rig - Need Verification of Hardware Compatibility  (Read 377 times)
riceburner55 (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 25, 2017, 08:21:01 PM

Hi All - got .  I've been researching the past couple weeks into hardware to buy for mining. Overall my purchasing decision is based off of cost effective and still generate a nice hash rate.  I am hoping someone can verify that all the hardware I am purchasing for my rig will be compatible.  Mainly - will the mother board support up to 6 GPU's purchased? Will the battery be able to support the rig? What issues may I run into setting everything up - if any? Suggestions on things to look out for in this first venture?  Am I making a horrible wrong decision on one of my hardware buys?

I have a skeleton design (below) as to which hardware piece I have selected and which hardware piece I am still up for suggestions to.  I've included links just for quick references in case needed.

My whole end goal here is to mine ETH while i still can (only getting 4GB GPUs) and once that drys up then move on to other alt currencies.

Equipment to build rig:

Mother Board: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-GAMING 5 
http://www.gigabyte.us/Motherboard/GA-Z170X-Gaming-5-rev-10#ov

CPU: Intel G3258 4 Pentium 3.20 GHz 3M Cache 2 Core Processor
https://www.amazon.com/Intel-G3258-Pentium-Processor-BX80646G3258/dp/B00KPRWAZQ

GPU: Aorus Radeon RX 570 4GB (GV-RX570AORUS-4GD)
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125965

RAM: 16GB - Generic 8 GB cards(Is this enough? Benefits for additional?)

Power: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 1300w 80 Plus Gold Power Supply
https://www.amazon.com/120-G2-1300-XR-1300W-SUPERNOVA-EPS12V-80PLUS/dp/B00JPRYGBS?tag=ethrig-20

Hard drive: Generic 80-120 GB SSD

Case: Custom Built

Cable Risers: Generic 6 pack

Am I missing any equipment needed?  Any feedback is much appreciated. Smiley
Raja_MBZ
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1505

View Profile
June 25, 2017, 08:32:51 PM

Most of the stuff looks just fine. But:

-You can go with Celeron (cheaper) instead of Pentium.

-16 GB RAM is a lot, go with two sticks of 4 GB.

-You don't have to go with expensive SSD, simply get any cheap regular hard drive.
riceburner55 (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 25, 2017, 08:54:39 PM

Most of the stuff looks just fine. But:

-You don't have to go with expensive SSD, simply get any cheap regular hard drive.

Thank you for the response.  Let me try to explain the reasoning...

-- I was thinking the Pentium so I could have the CPU doing some light burstcoin mining on the side and read the HDD's a little faster

-- I head some coins require a little more RAM then other coins... when eth drys up for this rig, I may need to switch to a more RAM intensive coin.  I guess I can stick with 2 4GB sticks until that happens....

-- I was thinking from a general power standpoint that SSD takes less...  Does the power consumption really make this much of difference in respect to the HD used in a rig?
salfter

Activity: 651
Merit: 501

My PGP Key: 92C7689C

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2017, 05:59:34 AM

You can go with Celeron (cheaper) instead of Pentium.
I was thinking the Pentium so I could have the CPU doing some light burstcoin mining on the side and read the HDD's a little faster

Is there a coin that can be CPU-mined that will earn more than pennies per day, once power consumption is factored in?  My dedicated mining rig is a Celeron G3920.  My main desktop (also doing some mining on the side) is a Core i5 4690K.  According to the NiceHash Miner's benchmark function, the Core i5 would pull in about BTC0.0001 (about $0.25) per day...figure maybe $7.50 per month.  A couple of GPUs will make that much in a day.  I leave CPU mining disabled.

You don't have to go with expensive SSD, simply get any cheap regular hard drive.
I was thinking from a general power standpoint that SSD takes less...  Does the power consumption really make this much of difference in respect to the HD used in a rig?

Spinning rust will pull several watts to keep it running, after briefly using a few tens of watts to spin up. An SSD's power consumption is nearly negligible by comparison.  If you go with an M.2 SSD (like I did), it'll slot into a connector on the motherboard, with no power or data cables needed.  It doesn't take much; 120 GB (smallest size that's readily available) is way more than enough.

Then again, if you already have a hard drive (or other usable components) gathering dust, every component you don't have to buy has zero days to ROI.  Most of the mining rig is new (or purchased used, in the case of my GPUs...scored an MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X this past weekend for only $340), but the power supply was taken from a Gridseed ASIC rig that's no longer profitable to run.

Tipjars: BTC 1TipsGocnz2N5qgAm9f7JLrsMqkb3oXe2 LTC LTipsVC7XaFy9M6Zaf1aGGe8w8xVUeWFvR | My Bitcoin Note Generator | Pool Auto-Switchers: zpool MiningPoolHub NiceHash
Bitgem Resources: Pool Explorer Paper Wallet
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
June 27, 2017, 06:59:44 PM

-- I was thinking the Pentium so I could have the CPU doing some light burstcoin mining on the side and read the HDD's a little faster

-- I was thinking from a general power standpoint that SSD takes less...  Does the power consumption really make this much of difference in respect to the HD used in a rig?

You will want a CPU with more horsepower if you want to mine BURST on it. I'd recomment a quad-core as a minimum, perhaps the bottom-end i3.

SSD is going to be a total waste, since you NEED a sizeable HD on the rig anyway to make it WORTH mining BURST on it.
 I wouldn't bother trying to mine BURST on anything less than a 1TB unless I already HAVE the drive - and my recent rig builds have been going with 3TB drives (except for one that has a Seagate Archive 8TB).

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: