Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 02:25:28 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to stop WattMan and Afterburner from getting in the way of each other??  (Read 1949 times)
ben8jam (OP)

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 26, 2017, 01:40:49 AM

12 hrs of trying to mod one card. Run into so many problems it's ridiculous. WattMan and afterburner keep over riding themselves after a reboot. And I can't keep track of where the settings are coming from especially the undervolt where afterburner has just a non- unit scale.

Please help going crazy.
GaryH

Activity: 214

View Profile
June 26, 2017, 02:05:28 AM

Not familiar with Wattman, but from looking at the website I'm not sure why you need Afterburner, looks like Wattman can do GPU clocks/memory:

Radeon WattMan is AMD's new groundbreaking power management utility that controls GPU voltage, engine clocks, memory clocks, fan speed and temperature1. Radeon WattMan is based on Radeon Software features but offers multiple new ways of precise overclocking controls. With the new control over voltage and per state frequency curve for GPU clocks, comprehensive tuning control is now available.

Or do it like I did, buy a $20 Kilowatt and find out how many watts each card is using based on TDP %.
ben8jam (OP)

View Profile
June 26, 2017, 02:10:38 AM

Not familiar with Wattman, but from looking at the website I'm not sure why you need Afterburner, looks like Wattman can do GPU clocks/memory:

Radeon WattMan is AMD's new groundbreaking power management utility that controls GPU voltage, engine clocks, memory clocks, fan speed and temperature1. Radeon WattMan is based on Radeon Software features but offers multiple new ways of precise overclocking controls. With the new control over voltage and per state frequency curve for GPU clocks, comprehensive tuning control is now available.

Or do it like I did, buy a $20 Kilowatt and find out how many watts each card is using based on TDP %.

Afterburner is just simpler. But I see your point.
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
June 26, 2017, 02:19:39 AM

I was having similar issues with Afterburner settings not applying correctly. What fixed it was removing v4.30 and installing the latest Afterburner. Also removing the core and memory clock settings from the miner. I use Afterburner to set the undervolt, core clock, memory clock and fan speeds before starting the miner.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/msi-afterburner-beta-download.html
ben8jam (OP)

View Profile
June 26, 2017, 03:11:18 AM

It's like there are phantom settings that don't go away ok reboot. I make changes to the bios and don't see their effects (especially in undervolt) when loading the Miner and gpuz. Not even opening afterburner or Radeon.

I'm doing all this in windows so I can move to the Linux machine. But I'll have no way of knowing if it works over there. At least I haven't found a tool that'll let me monitor via command line.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
June 26, 2017, 05:24:11 PM
Last edit: June 27, 2017, 12:17:08 AM by QuintLeo

Wattman is a sad pathetic joke compared to Afterburner - that blurb about "groundbreaking" is a flat out LIE, Wattman is LESS capable than Afterburner was YEARS ago.

Try setting a fan CURVE on Wattman, for one major issue with it. Capability doesn't EXIST.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
ben8jam (OP)

View Profile
June 26, 2017, 09:38:11 PM

Wattman is a sad pathetic joke compared to Afterburner - that blurb about "groundbreaking" is a flat out LIKE, Wattman is LESS capable than Afterburner was YEARS ago.

Try setting a fan CURVE on Wattman, for one major issue with it. Capability doesn't EXIST.

Yeh, Wattman is a PITA. I'm using TRIXX now and it's way better. Even better then Afterburner which seemed to get setting stuck from Wattman.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
June 27, 2017, 12:19:51 AM

I prefer Afterburner to Trixx, but Trixx and PrecisionX are ALSO light years better than Wattman.

Which is damning with ZERO praise at all - in hours of trying to get Wattman to work, I was never able to get it to do something BASIC like GET MY FANSPEED ABOVE MID-60 PERCENT WHEN THE CARD IS OVERHEATING.

The interface is junk, the controls are anti-intuitive and flat out don't seem to WORK on some parts, the size of the bloody thing is insanely bloated, and it just don't WORK for crap.

I don't understand why anyone bothers using that pathetic junk.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Lerrcey

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 27, 2017, 09:56:21 AM

Disable Wattman from startup ...
dragonmike

Activity: 1274
Merit: 556

View Profile
June 27, 2017, 10:41:27 AM

Disable Wattman from startup ...
This.
If you're going to use Afterburner, uninstall Wattman.
If you're going to use Wattman, uninstall Afterburner.

They just don't work well together, I believe because Afterburner uses some admin privileges that overwrite some of Wattman's settings. I have to use Wattman on my 7-GPU rigs because Afterburner keeps crashing at startup (I suspect too little ram might be the cause). But I hate the damn thing.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: