Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 07:31:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: hi guys =) i finally bought some bitcoins :)  (Read 1096 times)
superkawaii (OP)

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 11:34:40 PM

hey guys im new to the forum , i mostly lurk the speculation sub forum but i wanted to make a thread asking for some advice Smiley

i finally bought some BTC after depositing on mtgox

i bought 5btc @100usd per

do you think this was a bad or good idea ? i was originally going to buy 1000$ worth but for some reason i got scared lol and only bought half of that

honestly bro's my goal was to trade bitcoins and profit enough to buy a macbook air =)

well i wish you all the best and i hope you all turn a profit with bitcoins

<3
Birdy

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 11:36:25 PM

My advice is: Whatever you do, keep at least one Bitcoin in a safe place in case Bitcoin is a skyrocketing sucess ^^
superkawaii (OP)

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 11:41:33 PM

My advice is: Whatever you do, keep at least one Bitcoin in a safe place in case Bitcoin is a skyrocketing sucess ^^

yeah i always thought about that just incase some how bitcoin reaches a crazy price for some reason Smiley

i would like to ask you a question about bitcoin wallet if i can , right now i just keep my bitcoins in the mtgod wallet or whatever , i have i desktop wallet but it takes like forever to synchronize or update , im also interested in the android wallet for my smartphone because for some reason it updates really fast i dont know why

so in your opinion what is a safe place for a n00b like me to keep my bitcoins in ?

thnx you for taking the time to reply to my thread Smiley
anyroll

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 11:44:17 PM

hey guys im new to the forum , i mostly lurk the speculation sub forum but i wanted to make a thread asking for some advice Smiley

do you think this was a bad or good idea ? i was originally going to buy 1000$ worth but for some reason i got scared lol and only bought half of that

honestly bro's my goal was to trade bitcoins and profit enough to buy a macbook air =)

<3
Definitly a good idea, if I was you id invest the whole 1k, but thats just me.
Birdy

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 11:46:31 PM
Last edit: May 07, 2013, 11:57:55 PM by Birdy

yeah i always thought about that just incase some how bitcoin reaches a crazy price for some reason Smiley

i would like to ask you a question about bitcoin wallet if i can , right now i just keep my bitcoins in the mtgod wallet or whatever , i have i desktop wallet but it takes like forever to synchronize or update , im also interested in the android wallet for my smartphone because for some reason it updates really fast i dont know why

so in your opinion what is a safe place for a n00b like me to keep my bitcoins in ?

The desktop (/local) wallets download the whole transaction history (yes, of every single Bitcoin in the world), so it will take a while for the first sync ^^
I think the one for smartphone has other ways to access the transaction history.

The safest place to store Bitcoins for a long time are offline wallets or paper wallets.
The easiest way is imo creating a paper wallet with this website: https://www.bitaddress.org/
There are some things you should know:
Keep the private key safe! It's like the key to your safe!
The Bitcoin adress is the adress you can use to put any amount of Bitcoins into this safe.
Important: If you want to take any amount of money out of the safe, take it all and don't use this paper wallet again! Create a new one!
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 11:49:21 PM

<3

smart move holding on to half of your money. Use it to buy more if the price falls.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
houseofchill

Activity: 110

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 11:50:01 PM

If you're talking about the initial desktop wallet synchronization it takes a long time (several hours) bc abt 10 gb of data needs to be downloaded. If you're talking about the day to day updating of new blocks then the desktop version still takes longer than the android version bc the android app uses a shortcut of talking to a server that already has the entire updated blockchain.
shields

Activity: 164
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 12:04:31 AM

I'm in a similar situation, heard of bitcoin in the last couple of years but never really looked into it properly until 2-3 weeks ago. After a lot of research I'm a believer, gradually bought in about 500euro worth over the last week when the price has been low. I aim to buy in another 500-1000 euro over the summer depending on dips in price.

If you liked this post -> 1KRYhandiYsjecZw7mtdLnoeuKUYoGRkH4
anyroll

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 12:08:21 AM

<3

smart move holding on to half of your money. Use it to buy more if the price falls.

True, this is a good tactic. Bitcoin prices are so volatile its almost a certantity once the price goes up it will go down just as much before it rises again.
superkawaii (OP)

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 12:10:52 AM

The desktop (/local) wallets download the whole transaction history (yes, of every single Bitcoin in the world), so it will take a while for the first sync ^^
I think the one for smartphone has other ways to access the transaction history.

The safest place to store Bitcoins for a long time are offline wallets or paper wallets.
The easiest way is imo creating a paper wallet with this website: https://www.bitaddress.org/
There are some things you should know:
Keep the private key safe! It's like the key to your safe!
The Bitcoin adress is the adress you can use to put any amount of Bitcoins into this safe.
Important: If you want to take any amount of money out of the safe, take it all and don't use this paper wallet again! Create a new one!

i remember when i was playing around with my android wallet just to see how it works i exported the keys or something like that and saved the file to dropbox then i formated my smartphone , downloaded the android wallet app and just imported the keys

is this similar what you;re talking about with the paper wallet?
Birdy

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 12:15:05 AM

i remember when i was playing around with my android wallet just to see how it works i exported the keys or something like that and saved the file to dropbox then i formated my smartphone , downloaded the android wallet app and just imported the keys

Yes, it's similar.
If you have the private key, you can import it to any wallet of choice (that supports this function) and use all the Bitcoins on the adress.
reminder

Activity: 9

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 12:15:33 AM

So, the 11-inch or the 13-inch?
superkawaii (OP)

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 12:26:56 AM

13" Wink

i just hope i can pull this off in time for apple to release this years model in june or july Cheesy
superkawaii (OP)

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 12:28:08 AM

Yes, it's similar.
If you have the private key, you can import it to any wallet of choice (that supports this function) and use all the Bitcoins on the adress.

do you think the android one is safer ? because im thinking its more likely that one could get a computer virus like a trojan on their pc as oppose to getting malware on their android device
anyroll

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 12:28:23 AM

13" Wink

i just hope i can pull this off in time for apple to release this years model in june or july Cheesy

Why in hell would you buy a Mac? They are the worst operating systems ever made, there only used by the nontechnical people in society.
Birdy

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 12:32:30 AM

Why in hell would you buy a Mac? They are the worst operating systems ever made, there only used by the nontechnical people in society.
+1
It's like paying half the price for the logo.

do you think the android one is safer ? because im thinking its more likely that one could get a computer virus like a trojan on their pc as oppose to getting malware on their android device
Currently, yes. But malware on mobile devices will grow in the future.
superkawaii (OP)

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 12:35:29 AM

lol i know a lot of people don't like mac , i just want it for its slim and cool looking for design

dont hate me bro's i know im only paying for the aesthetic appeal Smiley
Birdy

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 12:36:20 AM

lol i know a lot of people don't like mac , i just want it for its slim and cool looking for design

dont hate me bro's i know im only paying for the aesthetic appeal Smiley
Nothing wrong with that. Some people pay millions for some old paintings.
I wouldn't do it though ^^
superkawaii (OP)

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 12:41:42 AM

so in your opinion if you had to choose one which would you choose to hold your bitcoins in

desktop wallet

android wallet

or just keep you coins on mtgox
Birdy

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 12:52:59 AM

so in your opinion if you had to choose one which would you choose to hold your bitcoins in

desktop wallet

android wallet

or just keep you coins on mtgox

Don't keep them at Mt.Gox unless you want to trade with them in the next days.
I guess Android wallets would be the best for actual use of the coins (aka shopping with them somewhere).
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: