Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 06:33:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What will ship first?
Batch 3 ships then Chips - 86 (49.7%)
Chips then Batch3 - 46 (26.6%)
You batch fools, Chips will be out during Batch 2 or sooner! - 41 (23.7%)
Total Voters: 173

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: POLL: Will Avalon Batch 3 or raw ASIC Chips ship first?  (Read 3895 times)
jermwerty (OP)

Activity: 472
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 11:49:42 PM
Last edit: May 08, 2013, 05:55:50 AM by jermwerty

Title says it all.  Assuming the current delays hold, which realistically goes out the door first?   Speculation encouraged!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
eroxors
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

Think. Positive. Thoughts.

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2013, 04:04:11 AM

Chips. Fewer steps to ship, fewer delays.

Dalkore
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1026

Mining since 2010 & Hosting since 2012

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2013, 04:33:53 AM

It would be a travesty if chips shipped first.   That would not be a good move on their part being that Batch 3 was ordered "before" the chips.   I very much doubt they would do that to their customers of Batch 3. 

Hosting: Low as $60.00 per KW - Link
Transaction List: jayson3 +5 - ColdHardMetal +3 - Nolo +2 - CoinHoarder +1 - Elxiliath +1 - tymm0 +1 - Johnniewalker +1 - Oscer +1 - Davidj411 +1 - BitCoiner2012 +1 - dstruct2k +1 - Philj +1 - camolist +1 - exahash +1 - Littleshop +1 - Severian +1 - DebitMe +1 - lepenguin +1 - StringTheory +1 - amagimetals +1 - jcoin200 +1 - serp +1 - klintay +1 - -droid- +1 - FlutterPie +1
relm9

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 04:54:26 AM

I very much doubt the chips would go out first. Probably a month after batch #3 is fully shipped.
plectrum

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 03:48:01 PM

The real question in my mind is how soon will rev2 chips come out after all off these rev1 chips are sold?

Or am i reading too much from this interview
http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/engineering-the-bitcoin-gold-rush-an-interview-with-yifu-guo-creator-of-the-first-asic-based-miner
If ASICs are the technological pinnacle, what’s next for bitcoin and mining?

Of mining’s technological evolution? Yes. In terms of major technological developments, it will be a while. What’s going to happen is that there is going to be a die shrink in order to reduce power consumption and increase speed based on smaller gate sizes. Eventually we’re going to reach the theoretical wall because of physics. The atoms will be too small. I don’t know when that will be hit, but the sooner the better.

If bitcoin is a $1 billion market, and it only takes less than $1 million to secure the network right now, that’s not a lot of money for someone to try and take over the mining scene. The faster the technology progresses, the more secure the network is, because it will be that much harder for a malevolent entity to mess with the system. We want to reach 14 or 10 nanometers as soon as possible. IBM/Intel is playing with 7 nanometers right now. The sooner the better so we’ll never again have this scenario where one company like Avalon essentially controls more theoretical computing power than the entire network’s hash rate. This will never happen again.
Kartaiv

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 03:51:53 PM

If the chips ship first, which is possible since they do not requiring any assembly, they still won't be running and online for some time after that. So even if batch 3 ships after the chips they will likely be online before a vast majority of any of the raw chips.
wrenchmonkey

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 03:58:09 PM

If the chips ship first, which is possible since they do not requiring any assembly, they still won't be running and online for some time after that. So even if batch 3 ships after the chips they will likely be online before a vast majority of any of the raw chips.

Personally, I think you grossly underestimate the skills and determination of some of the members of these chip buys. There are at least two projects which I am confident will be completed and tested prior to shipment of chips, meaning that boards can be assembled and ready for chips as soon as they arrive. 15 minutes in a reflow station, and these boards will be ready to mine.

I guarantee there will be many people who will be up and mining within a day of receiving their chips.

Block Erupter Overclocking 447 M/Hash, .006 (discounts if done in quantity) https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=300206.msg3218480#msg3218480

Buy and sell mining shares (Bitfury). https://cex.io/r/1/wrenchmonkey/0/
tempt

Activity: 294
Merit: 262

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 05:39:19 PM

Personally, I think you grossly underestimate the skills and determination of some of the members of these chip buys. There are at least two projects which I am confident will be completed and tested prior to shipment of chips, meaning that boards can be assembled and ready for chips as soon as they arrive. 15 minutes in a reflow station, and these boards will be ready to mine.

I guarantee there will be many people who will be up and mining within a day of receiving their chips.

Thats what I think too. I've been working on such a project when the announcement came and we've worked out a somewhat detailed plan of what is needed to do and what timeframe one would need to set everything up so only the chips need to be assembled. It was less than 8 weeks!
glendall
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1018

Sugars.zone | DatingFi - Earn for Posting

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 07:12:51 PM

I'll be very disappointed if the chips go out before batch 3.

The chips should be a heck of a lot easier for Avalon to get out the door though, obviously.

.SUGAR.
██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
▄████████████████████████▄
███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
█████▀██████▀▀██████▀█████
██████████████████████████
█████████████████████▄████
████████▄████████▄████████
▀████████████████████████▀
▀▀████████████████████▀▀

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
███████████████████████████
██████               ██████
██████   ▄████▀      ██████
██████▄▄▄███▀   ▄█   ██████
██████████▀   ▄███   ██████
████████▀   ▄█████▄▄▄██████
██████▀   ▄███████▀▀▀██████
██████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ██████
██████               ██████
Backed By
ZetaChain

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████████████████████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
dan99

Activity: 406

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 05:10:36 AM

chips will go out first ..
CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 05:26:48 AM

I'll be very disappointed if the chips go out before batch 3.

The chips should be a heck of a lot easier for Avalon to get out the door though, obviously.

This- Batch 3 customers paid first, they should get their product first.
Wayne_Chang

Activity: 448

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 08:36:08 AM

If chip goes first, that means Avalon breaks the basic rule of business. It will make them lost trust to any customers or pontential customers in future.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 08:37:41 AM

If chip goes first, that means Avalon breaks the basic rule of business. It will make them lost trust to any customers or pontential customers in future.

Didn't you hear? They weren't even interested in being a business in the first place.

Wayne_Chang

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 10:32:06 AM

Didn't you hear? They weren't even interested in being a business in the first place.
Ridiculous! If so, how you define "selling chips"? Charity or donation?
punin

Activity: 560

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2013, 10:44:51 AM

There's no option "The boys are off to bahamas, and nothing will ever ship" Smiley

Head of Product Development
Bitfury Group
www.bitfury.com
KS

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 10:51:58 AM

Bad business sense to sell chips first. Easier, sure, but stupid.

If they have invested in the full rigs, they need to clear that inventory first.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 12:23:00 PM

Read the article. It answers that question and others.

Wayne_Chang

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 12:33:32 PM

Read the article. It answers that question and others.
"Not interested in it" does not equal to they can break the basic rule. In this logic, they can have all our money but don't give us anything and say: Hey guys, we are not interested in the business with you guys.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 12:43:33 PM

"Not interested in it" does not equal to they can break the basic rule.

You're missing the point I was proposing (tongue-in-cheek as it may have been)-- they were not intending to make this into a business in the first place. They weren't interested in being a business. That should speak volumes to you in their attitude towards handling customers.

miningusa

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 02:53:50 PM

Fingers crossed it wil be batch 3  Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: