Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 12:05:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking ahead and what to do when ETH isn't profitable....  (Read 1275 times)
whitrzac (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 10

90*c is good, right?

View Profile
June 26, 2017, 03:56:43 AM

A friend got me started in mining about 2 months ago before eth, etc took way off. A single 580 was making about ~$1.75 a day when I first started and it was a hobby that didn't loose money...  I played with it for a few weeks and picked up a few more 580s before they all dissapeared.

I would have to write it all out, but I'm fairly certain my 4 580s have already ROIed. Tongue

What's everyone's plans after the money train has left, derailed and everything onboard is DOA?
I wasn't around for the BTC/LTC fall, is it more of mineing different coins every week to hope something becomes valuable, or was there something that could maintain the ~$1/day payrate?

"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Metroid

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
June 26, 2017, 04:01:43 AM

You only lose if you sell, so hold till eth rises again by at least 90% and then you can sell.

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1710

View Profile
June 26, 2017, 04:07:07 AM

Sell GPUs on eBay

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
thesmokingman

Activity: 212
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 26, 2017, 04:51:45 AM

Sell GPUs on eBay

I'll be waiting to buy them for pennies on the dollar just like I'm sure you will be too lol...

PIMP your AMD & Nvidia Farm. Finally a Multi-Miner Linux 16.04 Distro with Web Monitoring and On the Fly Algo-Switching. My PIMP AMD/Nvidia FARM: https://miner.farm/farmer/554/farmstatus
chohav

Activity: 251
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 26, 2017, 07:49:20 AM

Sell GPUs on eBay

I'll be waiting to buy them for pennies on the dollar just like I'm sure you will be too lol...
Same here  Cheesy saving money for buying gpus on ebay in the next months.
VyprBTC

Activity: 350

View Profile
June 26, 2017, 08:21:53 AM

... plans after the money train has left, derailed and everything onboard is DOA?

ChrisCollins322

Activity: 98

Bitcointalk community manager

View Profile
June 26, 2017, 08:34:04 AM

A friend got me started in mining about 2 months ago before eth, etc took way off. A single 580 was making about ~$1.75 a day when I first started and it was a hobby that didn't loose money...  I played with it for a few weeks and picked up a few more 580s before they all dissapeared.

I would have to write it all out, but I'm fairly certain my 4 580s have already ROIed. Tongue

What's everyone's plans after the money train has left, derailed and everything onboard is DOA?
I wasn't around for the BTC/LTC fall, is it more of mineing different coins every week to hope something becomes valuable, or was there something that could maintain the ~$1/day payrate?

Sir,there is so much altcoins, whats the problem?

▬▬▬▬ Bitcointalk community ICO manager ▬▬▬▬
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1710

View Profile
June 26, 2017, 08:34:47 AM

I weep for the future.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
poby

Activity: 258
Merit: 104

View Profile
June 26, 2017, 09:46:56 AM

The problem is that when eth is no longer profitable, neither will any other altcoin.  If you want to know why, do a bit of research and reading on this forum.
puwaha

Activity: 700
Merit: 294

View Profile
June 26, 2017, 06:42:58 PM

The problem is that when eth is no longer profitable, neither will any other altcoin.  If you want to know why, do a bit of research and reading on this forum.

I'd take it all with a grain of salt.. everyone is speculating what will happen, and no one has a crystal ball.  Sure, we have some historical context, but no one would have predicted this latest BTC surge, which surged the altcoin markets, which fueled the irrational exuberance for Eth.

I think the biggest thing to take away is to be prepared to move quickly, don't get emotional about mining or ROI.  And for sure make sure you have plans to exit gracefully, or position your rigs for the next great bull run.
Aquazi

Activity: 215

View Profile
June 26, 2017, 07:40:18 PM

For ETH to be unprofitable, if you pay 0.22 $ kW/h you need to make less than a dollar a day mining.

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓    ▶▶▶▶ Get Your Free Tokens Now ◀◀◀◀  First PoS Smart Contract Token
    PoSToken       Free Airdrop ●  No-ICO ●  100% Annual Interest First Year
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓    ANN ●  WebSite  ●  Twitter  ●  Slack  ●  Whitepaper
Mormyr

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 26, 2017, 08:05:34 PM

For ETH to be unprofitable, if you pay 0.22 $ kW/h you need to make less than a dollar a day mining.

Don't search, people got too greedy... I started mining when profitability was at 0,4$/day and kept since then. It never has been as profitable as it is now. Do not let the profits going to China so keep mining !
AmDD
Legendary

Activity: 1027
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 26, 2017, 08:28:07 PM

Wait and see, then make your own decisions.

Way back when you were just a young pup and Litecoin was still GPU mineable, I built 4 rigs to mine, I did until Litecoin gained ASICs at which point I switched to Feathercoin and some other random coins just looking for profit. After awhile I shutdown and the rigs were off for about a year. Then I sold two. Today my other two rigs are mining again (at a profit).

Sometimes its ok to sell out and make a profit and sometimes its ok to sit and wait for another coin. Sometimes neither is a good option.

Your best bet is to stay active in the forums and do the math yourself on profitability.

BTC tip jar: 18EKpbrcXxbpzAZv3T58ccGcVis7W7JR9w
LTC tip jar: Lgp8ERykAgx6Q8NdMqpi5vnVoUMD2hYn2a
h311m4n

Activity: 487
Merit: 266

View Profile
June 26, 2017, 08:37:01 PM

I'd take it all with a grain of salt.. everyone is speculating what will happen, and no one has a crystal ball.  Sure, we have some historical context, but no one would have predicted this latest BTC surge, which surged the altcoin markets, which fueled the irrational exuberance for Eth.

I think the biggest thing to take away is to be prepared to move quickly, don't get emotional about mining or ROI.  And for sure make sure you have plans to exit gracefully, or position your rigs for the next great bull run.

Truth right there.

Haters gonna say mining is dead, but no one knows sh*t. It's all just speculation and hearsay. Do your research, gather facts, be optimistic or not and take your own decision is the only thing anyone can do.

2 things can happen:

1. Mining/profit are indeed over within the next 2 months and all those who sell their hardware now will come on top before everyone sells their cards for 5$
2. This is a phase (what goes up must come down and vice versa) and you need to survive it

For all we know a "new" ETH alternative will rise in a few months.
ChrisCollins322

Activity: 98

Bitcointalk community manager

View Profile
June 27, 2017, 08:56:29 AM

u know, 50 is too old version. If u r rly interested in makin money using mining, then u need update ur devices

▬▬▬▬ Bitcointalk community ICO manager ▬▬▬▬
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: