Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:31:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: am i risking btc for leaving them at multibit classic?  (Read 454 times)
freebitcoins4u (OP)

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 26, 2017, 03:29:42 PM

hello!

if i have bitcoin at multibit classic which the maximum transaction fee that i can pay (on the fee slider) is 50,000 satoshi, will there come a day that this fee will not be enough and i will not be able to send btc from multibit?

thanks.
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
HI-TEC99
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 2846

View Profile
June 26, 2017, 04:24:24 PM
Last edit: April 27, 2018, 11:49:27 PM by HI-TEC99

There have already been times when it wasn't enough and people's transactions were delayed for days.

Multibit classic isn't being actively developed any more. I recommend switching to electrum. If you don't switch and find in the future a time when the maximum fee isn't enough to move your coins you can use these instructions to export your private keys from multibit, then either import or sweep them into electrum.

Start multibit, select the wallet containing your coins, then click "tools", then select "export private keys" as shown in the screenshot.

A new tab should open like the one below. Select "do not password protect export file" at the bottom of the window, then click the "export private keys button".

Click the windows start button, then copy and paste the line of text below into the search box that appears, then press the enter key to open the hidden folder containing your multibit wallet files.

%appdata%\Multibit

This is what your search box should look like after you have copied and pasted the line above into it.

Inside the folder that opens there should be a file with an extension ending in ".key". Open it in notepad and copy your wallet's private key. In the example file below the private key is the bit in red.

# KEEP YOUR PRIVATE KEYS SAFE !
# Anyone who can read this file can spend your bitcoin.
#
# Format:
#   <Base58 encoded private key>[<whitespace>[<key createdAt>]]
#
#   The Base58 encoded private keys are the same format as
#   produced by the Satoshi client/ sipa dumpprivkey utility.
#
#   Key createdAt is in UTC format as specified by ISO 8601
#   e.g: 2011-12-31T16:42:00Z . The century, 'T' and 'Z' are mandatory
#
KwUVsx4nd4UTHUtNTPnLEEqapCFvNiBrVASBZPa1ZvStQbUD87VK 2017-03-26T01:36:45Z
# End of private keys

After you get your private keys you can use these instructions to import them into electrum.

http://docs.electrum.org/en/latest/faq.html#can-i-import-private-keys-from-other-bitcoin-clients

http://docs.electrum.org/en/latest/faq.html#can-i-sweep-private-keys-from-other-bitcoin-clients
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: