Bitcoin Forum
September 04, 2024, 05:21:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Adding stratum when solo mining  (Read 1693 times)
radeonz (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 06:19:20 AM

How do I got about adding a stratum pool when using cgminer to solo mine? Let's use CHNcoin as an example here.

Thanks.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 4794

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 12:57:44 PM

adding a stratum pool when using cgminer to solo mine?

Huh

Solo mine means NOT using a pool.

Using a pool means NOT solo mining.

I'm confused about what you are asking.
radeonz (OP)

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 04:46:26 AM

I want to solo mine but I want to use a pool to get info from the blockchain so I'm not working on old blocks.  Does a low scantime option guarantee that anyway?
AzureEngineer

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 04:49:15 AM

When solo mining, your computer receives new block target information as soon as the new block hits the network. Stratum, longpolling, and etc is not needed for solo mining.

My name was simply a play on "Blue Engineer" from Team Fortress. I am not affiliated with Microsoft or the Azure project.
radeonz (OP)

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 04:54:43 AM

When solo mining, your computer receives new block target information as soon as the new block hits the network. Stratum, longpolling, and etc is not needed for solo mining.

Ok thanks Smiley Thought I was doing something wrong.

Another question: when a new block appears on the network, does my client abandon current work and start new work?
AzureEngineer

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 04:58:17 AM

Ok thanks Smiley Thought I was doing something wrong.

Another question: when a new block appears on the network, does my client abandon current work and start new work?

Yes. The coin client you use acts as a server for the worker. Work latency between blocks is virtually nonexistent.

My name was simply a play on "Blue Engineer" from Team Fortress. I am not affiliated with Microsoft or the Azure project.
radeonz (OP)

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 05:04:23 AM

I guess I was trying to ask if it's worth solo mining bitcoin in a roundabout way. I know that with low hash power and at the current difficulty it isn't. And since you get new work all the time because of the total hash speed, you would never find a block unless you got really lucky. Is that about right?

Seems like solo mining isn't worth it for anything but new coins with low difficulty unless you have crazy hash power.
AzureEngineer

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 05:11:21 AM

I guess I was trying to ask if it's worth solo mining bitcoin in a roundabout way. I know that with low hash power and at the current difficulty it isn't. And since you get new work all the time because of the total hash speed, you would never find a block unless you got really lucky. Is that about right?

Seems like solo mining isn't worth it for anything but new coins with low difficulty unless you have crazy hash power.

This is all correct. Unless you're hiding a Titan supercomputer in your basement, solo mining BTC is pointless.

The thing to remember is that solo mining will not get you more coins than pool mining, assuming the pool does not charge a fee (most do). Unless you're mining the "altcoin of the day" then there is no reason not to mine on a pool, especially if you only have a mainstream or gaming rig.

radeonz (OP)

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 05:15:05 AM

This is all correct. Unless you're hiding a Titan supercomputer in your basement, solo mining BTC is pointless.

The thing to remember is that solo mining will not get you more coins than pool mining, assuming the pool does not charge a fee (most do). Unless you're mining the "altcoin of the day" then there is no reason not to mine on a pool, especially if you only have a mainstream or gaming rig.

Thanks!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: