Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:35:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The proof is in the pudding: chinese are participating en masse, price not up  (Read 3504 times)
RationalSpeculator (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

This bull will try to shake you off. Hold tight!

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 01:16:03 PM

But howcome the amount of nodes did shot up a lot the past month while the price did not?

The amount of nodes shot up in the past week.

And they're downloading the blockchain right now.

Over Tor...

Is that so? How do you know?

That could be important difference indeed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2013, 01:18:26 PM

That's very interesting! Thanks so much for sharing. So does that mean that you noticed that many new users that transferred fiat to the exchange didn't use it but instead kept it there are withdrew it again?

Yes, that pretty much sums it up. We don't actually have "accounts", we're simply a brokering service. Euros and bitcoins come in, and they go out. Occasionally we do return funds if people cancel orders. Higher amount of buy order cancellations is one sign of people getting scared.

This is not the situation as it is now, I'm not interested in revealing our current tendencies. But it was very interesting that even when the bubble popped all the way to $50-$100 a lot of people were suddenly scared of buying, although they were quite willing to buy at $200+ just a day before. That's just how it goes, I guess.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
RationalSpeculator (OP)

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 01:20:57 PM

That's very interesting! Thanks so much for sharing. So does that mean that you noticed that many new users that transferred fiat to the exchange didn't use it but instead kept it there are withdrew it again?

Yes, that pretty much sums it up. We don't actually have "accounts", we're simply a brokering service. Euros and bitcoins come in, and they go out. Occasionally we do return funds if people cancel orders. Higher amount of buy order cancellations is one sign of people getting scared.

This is not the situation as it is now, I'm not interested in revealing our current tendencies. But it was very interesting that even when the bubble popped all the way to $50-$100 a lot of people were suddenly scared of buying, although they were quite willing to buy at $200+ just a day before. That's just how it goes, I guess.

Yes very interesting indeed. Thank you.

If your website would be available in English too I would have considered using it also.
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2013, 01:23:08 PM

Yes very interesting indeed. Thank you.

If your website would be available in English too I would have considered using it also.

We're planning to open a similar service in the coming months that will cover all SEPA countries. It will be English only at first but we're planning to translate to all the major SEPA area languages.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
michaelGedi

Activity: 364

"to be or not to be, that is the bitcoin"

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 01:37:42 PM

speculation - Chinese may be more interested in mining than in buying BTC...

longer term transferral of wealth from US (and other western countries) to China - sounds about the right kind of mentality? US no doubt account for the majority of BTC holders and miners at this time

TRADE FOREX, STOCKS AND COMMODITIES without the paperwork with Bitcoin: https://1broker.com/m/r.php?i=3589

1BROKER has been around since 2012 and is going strong
Miz4r
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 03:19:54 PM

Looking at the 3d globe, the chinese have added nodes en masse the past month, surpassing USA and almost Europe too.
http://blockchain.info/nl/nodes-globe?series=48hrs

However, the price did not shoot up, so I wouldn't count on them on rescuing us from the bubble deflating. 

Why would the price have to shoot up? Inflating a new bubble isn't a necessary requirement to stop a bubble from deflating or is it?

Bitcoin = Gold on steroids
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 06:52:14 PM

speculation - Chinese may be more interested in mining than in buying BTC...

longer term transferral of wealth from US (and other western countries) to China - sounds about the right kind of mentality? US no doubt account for the majority of BTC holders and miners at this time
That is also why they hoard rare earth metals and gold. China is investing heavily in mining globally. I would expect they will be buying bitcoins soon. They may simply not have an easy market for them.

Early adopter miners are shutting down their GPUs in the US. If China is building ASICs and not exporting them, the rest of the world is screwed as far as mining.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
UltimateReaper

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 07:26:36 PM

What did anyone expect?
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 07:34:45 PM

Op: How long were you running a node before you actually were able to get your hands on bitcoins?

I had 0.01 bitcoin (received from a friend) for a good 2-3 weeks in my wallet before I actually traded USD for bitcoins on an exchange.

It's different for everybody but most of those nodes are probably popping up out of curiousity for now.
I actually got the blockchain downloaded and started mining 3 BTC/day on my one GPU the day I found out about Bitcoin.  Wink
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 07:36:01 PM

The good thing about China investing a lot in mining is that they are in it for the long haul. Mining is finite. Soon they will hunger for MOAR!

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
UltimateReaper

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 07:37:39 PM

Op: How long were you running a node before you actually were able to get your hands on bitcoins?

I had 0.01 bitcoin (received from a friend) for a good 2-3 weeks in my wallet before I actually traded USD for bitcoins on an exchange.

It's different for everybody but most of those nodes are probably popping up out of curiousity for now.
I actually got the blockchain downloaded and started mining 3 BTC/day on my one GPU the day I found out about Bitcoin.  Wink

Man...

I still haven't been able to figure out how to mine in the first place. Not that it would be of any use right now anyway. My computer can barely run Skyrim.  Cheesy

Did you make a fortune?
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 07:57:51 PM

Man...

I still haven't been able to figure out how to mine in the first place. Not that it would be of any use right now anyway. My computer can barely run Skyrim.  Cheesy

Did you make a fortune?
I would have if I had held on to them all.  I sold or spent almost every Bitcoin I've mined though, many at low prices ($3-$6 during the 2011 climb, and more at $5 or less after the crash).  And that amazing mining period where difficulty was less than 100,000 only lasted for a short time.  It didn't take long before it was over 1M.  At my peak, once I received the 6 new GPU's I ordered a couple days after finding out about Bitcoin, I was generating 8 BTC/day.

I think I've mined somewhere around 600 BTC, but I only have 10 BTC to show for it today.  Hindsight is 20/20, and especially back then, I wouldn't have believed you if you told me Bitcoin was ever going to go back above $31.  But part of the reason I sold is the financial difficulties that I was going through at the time, with our first child, new house, work life changes, etc.  Our annual household income has actually gone down every year for the past 5 years, and the only reason we've been able to pull out of it ahead is because of Bitcoin.  I still made around $5000 off that initial $1100 investment into GPUs/computers, and I'm set to be reaping the proceeds from additional investments as soon as BFL starts delivering singles.

I am was a weak hand.  Now that we're on a more financially stable ground, I'll be very likely holding the vast majority of Bitcoins I mine in the future.
lysr

Activity: 161
Merit: 11

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 09:26:45 AM

The Chinese people are mostly miners, they are here looking for free money, not giving you the free money.

If you can read a bit of Chinese, you can browse the Chinese sub-forum here, most of them are discussing Bitcoin mining or Ripple, it is silly to assume that they would inject a huge sum of money into the market.

I am not saying they won't but not in the near future, also bear in mind that when Bitcoin is becoming too dominant in the economy that would threaten the leading role of CNY, the communist party would brutally crack down and outlaw its usage. It is not a hard task to accomplish, they only need to shut down btcchina and block all the exchanges overseas with their internet firewall.
Zaih

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 09:33:39 AM

I like bubbles  Grin
RationalSpeculator (OP)

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 10:32:33 AM

The Chinese people are mostly miners, they are here looking for free money, not giving you the free money.

If you can read a bit of Chinese, you can browse the Chinese sub-forum here, most of them are discussing Bitcoin mining or Ripple, it is silly to assume that they would inject a huge sum of money into the market.

I am not saying they won't but not in the near future, also bear in mind that when Bitcoin is becoming too dominant in the economy that would threaten the leading role of CNY, the communist party would brutally crack down and outlaw its usage. It is not a hard task to accomplish, they only need to shut down btcchina and block all the exchanges overseas with their internet firewall.

Thanks for validating!
massivebitman

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2013, 11:13:57 AM
Last edit: May 09, 2013, 11:35:58 AM by massivebitman

Thanks for validating!

I have to agree. It makes sense for the Chinese to mine.. The government doesn't want them to buy bitcoins, they want them to control bitcoins. The way you control bitcoin is by having all the hashrate.

I'd say it's a very deliberate move on the governments part. Think about how much money they invest into hacking.

This is just more of China's expanding soft power... Expect them to be pumping out ASICS by the bucket load. Still, it can only be good for the coin... maybe... unless western governments will intervene.

Still short term, I'm holding. Hashrate is going up.. so will the price for sure!

Fresh from xinhua: 政府説矿山比特币
 "Chinese government commands hacker division to ramp up bitcoin-mining"

chiropteran

Activity: 348

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2013, 01:11:14 PM

Mining difficulty is lagging price too much, so we are due to see more miners enter the market.  It just doesn't make sense that even inefficient GPU miners can make 9-10X the cost of electricity in profit, it's unsustainable.  When difficulty reaches par with price price will be inevitably pushed up.

Note that the last big rally up to $266 began right around the time of the reward black halving, no coincidence.

RationalSpeculator (OP)

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 07:08:39 PM

Mining difficulty is lagging price too much, so we are due to see more miners enter the market.  It just doesn't make sense that even inefficient GPU miners can make 9-10X the cost of electricity in profit, it's unsustainable.  When difficulty reaches par with price price will be inevitably pushed up.

That's very interesting. I've studied mining. Your info means people that invested in pre-order asics will likely still do well.

At the same time I think we can expect overcapacity at one point, just like in 2011 after the bubble, likely again when btc prices are bottoming out in this short-term bear market over the coming year.

So I think it's not wise for asic investors to reinvest quickly over the coming 6 months. Better to wait as chances are high many asic miners will go broke 6 months later and you will get the equipment for pennies on the dollar.

What are your thoughts about this?
RationalSpeculator (OP)

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 07:10:39 PM

the price did not shoot up, so I wouldn't count on them on rescuing us from the bubble deflating. 

Why would the price have to shoot up? Inflating a new bubble isn't a necessary requirement to stop a bubble from deflating or is it?

I don't understand what you mean? Could you tell a little more?
RationalSpeculator (OP)

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 07:11:37 PM

Fresh from xinhua: 政府説矿山比特币
 "Chinese government commands hacker division to ramp up bitcoin-mining"

That first guy seems to be playing some game though Smiley
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: