Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 03:10:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Strange smell from new PC  (Read 1904 times)
Skag (OP)

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 10:19:04 AM

Hi all,

I've been reading throughout the forums and not sure where the smell comes from.
I've put together a PC with 2 x HIS 7970 and a Corsair 750CX, the rest is minimal a 500GB HD and an 3300 AMD cpu with 4GB Ram.

I've got air cooling and my settings in cgminer do not allow more than 75C which works fine.

Now, the system doesn't hang, it's stable and mining, however the room gets a bit smelly. The power is 510W at the wall so I guess Corsair can accommodate for the gpus needs.
I've got one fan at the front, one at the side for cool air, and one at the top to blow out the hot air.

I tested with another system, (bigger case) with a Q6600, 8gb ram and a few hard disks and only 1 of the two gpus, and a 650W Corsair. Still the same.

All the above is for Bitcoin mining, when it comes to LTC the spinning is faster obviously and the smell more intense.

Any suggestions?  Huh
johnras

Activity: 9

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 10:22:44 AM

what kind of smell are you getting? Also is the corsair running hot?
Skag (OP)

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 10:25:06 AM

I wouldn't say it's a burning smell, I would say it's seems more like "new stuff" smell. To be honest I haven't touched the psu to check if it's running hot, I've purchased it based on assumptions I found on the internet about being able to handle the load...

So what should I look for a) if it is hot, b) if it isn't hot

Thanks

PS Don't know if that says it all...
http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115132
bitcoinminerz

Activity: 14

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 10:31:02 AM

That really doesn't sound good. I'd take caution.
johnras

Activity: 9

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 10:32:57 AM

If it's not a burning kind of smell then there's nothing to worry about, just give it some time and this new-stuff smell will be gone.
Skag (OP)

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 10:35:18 AM

If it's not a burning kind of smell then there's nothing to worry about, just give it some time and this new-stuff smell will be gone.

Thanks for that. Again, it's not an unbearable smell, it's just a background annoying smell...

I'll open a new thread for psu suggestion.
PrintMule

Activity: 980
Merit: 500

FREE $50 BONUS - STAKE - [click signature]

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 10:44:48 AM

While usually it's a new hardware smell it also could be your psu.

I had to run my 7950 for a limited time with a weak 350w psu.
While it was ok with lowered clocks, it burned out eventually, I'm glad I was home to shut it down.
Some 3-4 hours prior it was emitting smell which did not seem like burning nor new hardware smell.

I'd keep a watchful eye if I were you.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀▀        ▀▀█████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████▀    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄    ███████████████████████████████████████████████
█████    ▄█████████▌   ▐█████▀  ▐███████████████▌  ▀██████████████████
████▌   ▐██████████    █████    ████████████████    ██████████████████
████▌   ▐█████████▄▄▄▄█████▌   ▐███████████████▌   ▐███▀▀█████████████
█████    ▀███████████████▀▀        ▄███████████    ██▀   ▐████████████
██████▄     ▀▀███████▀▀         ▄▄███▀▀▀▀█████▌   ▐▀   ▄███▀▀   ▀█████
█████████▄▄     ▀▀███▄  ▄▄    ████▀    ▄   ███       ▄███▀   ▄█  ▐████
█████████████▄▄     ▀████▌   ▐███▀   ███   ██▌      ████    ██▀  █████
██████▀▀   ▀█████▄    ███    ████   ███▌  ▐██    ▌  ▐██▌      ▄▄██████
█████    ▄████████    ▐██    ██▀▀   ██▀   ▐▀    ▐█   ██▌   ▀██▀▀  ████
████▌   ▐████████▀    ███▄     ▄▄▄     ▄    ▄   ▐██   ██▄      ▄▄█████
████▌   ███████▀    ▄███████████████████████████████▄  ▀▀██████▀▀ ████
█████    ▀▀▀▀     ▄█████████▀    ▀█▀    ▀█       ▀████▄▄         ▄████
██████▄▄    ▄▄▄▄████████████  █████  ██  █  █  █  ████████████████████
█████████████████████████  █▄    ▄█▄    ▄█  █  █  ████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█  ▄▀▄             █▀▀▐▀▄▄
█  █▀█             █  ▐  ▐▌
█       ▄██▄       █  ▌  █
█     ▄██████▄     █  ▌ ▐▌
█    ██████████    █ ▐  █
█   ▐██████████▌   █ ▐ ▐▌
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀█▄
▄█▀    ▄▀█████▀     ▀█▄
▄█▄    █        ▀▄   ███▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▄       ▄▀▀▀▀▀███▄
████      ▀▄▄▄▄▄▀       ███
███     ▄▄███████▄▄     ▄▀█
█  ▀▄ ▄▀ ▀███████▀ ▀▄ ▄▀  █
▀█   █     ▀███▀     ▀▄  █▀
▀█▄▄█▄      █        █▄█▀
▀█████▄ ▄▀▀ ▀▀▄▄ ▄▄███▀
▀█████        ████▀
▀▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀▀
● OVER 1000 GAMES
● DAILY RACES AND BONUSES
● 24/7 LIVE SUPPORT
colling2

Activity: 7

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 11:01:58 AM

My 7970 just went up in smoke without warning.  Keep a close eye on it and figure out what is running hot.
Crukkis

Activity: 16

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 11:05:07 AM

Check the temperature
c0de

Activity: 10

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 11:09:08 AM

Check the temperature

Get a laser thermometer, they are cheap nowdays and they work wonders for assesing the amount of heat a component produces.
elgeo

Activity: 200
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 11:26:39 AM

Hi all,

I've been reading throughout the forums and not sure where the smell comes from.
I've put together a PC with 2 x HIS 7970 and a Corsair 750CX, the rest is minimal a 500GB HD and an 3300 AMD cpu with 4GB Ram.

I've got air cooling and my settings in cgminer do not allow more than 75C which works fine.

Now, the system doesn't hang, it's stable and mining, however the room gets a bit smelly. The power is 510W at the wall so I guess Corsair can accommodate for the gpus needs.
I've got one fan at the front, one at the side for cool air, and one at the top to blow out the hot air.

I tested with another system, (bigger case) with a Q6600, 8gb ram and a few hard disks and only 1 of the two gpus, and a 650W Corsair. Still the same.

All the above is for Bitcoin mining, when it comes to LTC the spinning is faster obviously and the smell more intense.

Any suggestions?  Huh

all new pcs smells on beginning especially when is 60c and more....its normal...

I don't have a signature because I'm not a customary person.
vm1990
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 12:22:14 PM

agreed probably the lining on the GPU cards (they do discolour when run hot after a while) but also make sure the cables VGA DVI HDMI arnt getting hot from the exhaust of the GPU (melted the rubber of a vga cable this way which left a very very strange smell also, does it smell like a glue/paint if so its the GPUs settling in with the heat but just check every so often that the pretty stickers on the GPU casings are still there and not fallen into the GPU below

register729

Activity: 6

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 06:24:11 PM

it's normal
elCamo

Activity: 42

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 06:30:14 PM

Typically, new hardware has factory processing residue which will burn off at initial maximum heat exposure. If smell stays or gets worse then you have a overheating problem most likely.
Good luck.
linuxer

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

Official Troll of bitcointalk,Certified by John K.

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 06:35:05 PM

Check the temperature

Get a laser thermometer, they are cheap nowdays and they work wonders for assesing the amount of heat a component produces.

Or just put your cold coffee cup on it, if it becomes hot coffee it's too hot.
Isaacariah

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 06:55:20 PM

RMA your PSU now and replace it.

I had a 750W PSU running 2x6870's for little over 12 hours before it literally went bang and sparks shot out of it. For those 12 hours it was a kinda "hot" smell, even though the PSU didn't feel hot. Faulty capacitors. Best be safe than sorry
elCamo

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 09:32:54 PM

Definately, I agree get a laser thermometer.. plus they are really cool to play with..
Spotter

Activity: 5

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 10:00:32 PM

RMA your PSU now and replace it.

I had a 750W PSU running 2x6870's for little over 12 hours before it literally went bang and sparks shot out of it. For those 12 hours it was a kinda "hot" smell, even though the PSU didn't feel hot. Faulty capacitors. Best be safe than sorry

I'm running 1x7950 + 1x7970 on 700w psu. Your psu was deffinetly faulty cause one 6870 power consumption is about 150w
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 10:06:37 PM

I agree with others saying it's normal. I've frequently had that problem with new PSUs and GPUs. It goes away. So far, I've never had anything burst in flames, burn up, or go bad (as far as PSUs and GPUs emitting a "plastic-y" smell). If you can identify the smell as coming most strongly from a connection point, then you probably have a problem. If worried, I'd check the connectors every few days -- just pull them all up, examine for any warping/melting, and plug them back in until the smell goes away.
yakka

Activity: 13

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 10:09:11 PM

Hi all,

Any suggestions?  Huh

5970 max temp 95Cº are OK
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: