Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 07:44:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is any crypto truly scalable to a global scale? BTC, ETH, IOTA, DCR, PIVX...?  (Read 4189 times)
Fatoshi

Activity: 672
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 10:33:47 AM

A whole host of questions that I feel are important. Any insights would be appreciated!

1. Can blockchain-based currencies really work with billions of users?
2. Will it become a choice between impractically expensive fees or impractically slow transaction confirmations?
3. Are the proposed plans for BTC and ETH scalability just short-term fixes that will eventually run into the same problems later on?
4. Are DAGs the solution?
5. How much time will IOTA transactions take if each user has to process their own share of the "tangle"? Can tiny IOT devices even handle such processing requirements?
6. Others have suggested that currencies such as DCR, PIVX or BURST solve the problem in different ways. If so, how?
7. Are there any other solutions?

Thanks Smiley

In answer to question 7. Supporters of Xtrabytes believe it  is infinitely scalable. Firstly the blockchain is built on a rock solid secure foundation unlike any other chain. On top is a virtual layer that cant be hacked and as its virtual the understanding is there is no friction and has no scalability issues.

Sharky444

Activity: 724
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 11:26:14 AM

With EVERY blockchain you need either to increase the block size, or drecrease the block time to ram through more TX/sec. But doing it will hit a propagation limit at some time. When you calculate the next block hash you will have only very little time to distribute this block. A hardcap will be reached no matter what.

Radix - just imagine
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 07:25:34 PM

Also remember IOTA is not a decentralized cryptocurrency.

It's enough to check your posts history to see how much these words are worth.  Cheesy
woxXxow

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 07:41:24 PM

IOTA has an interesting whitepaper, i don't know if it proven... Time will tell if is worth the long shot.
I think bitcoin is the only one to invest time into
stromae

Activity: 309
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 08:10:37 PM

I see new upcoming projects always mention about other infrastructures like IOTA and aeternity because of ether's scalability problem. BTC and ETH are not truly scalable and this has been proved. As long IOATA and others are used more often, we'll understand this better.
SatoNatomato

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 09:44:02 PM

Currently they can't. From IOTA #tanglemath channel I've received an answer similar to this:

Tiny IOT devices like temperature sensors will connect to a proxy node and send the data. The proxy node will take the data and create a TX by doing the POW.
At a later time the sensors will be able to generate the POW themselves by using the JINN processor. This will be a trinary processor with extremely low power usage. Apparently they work since 2 years on that hardware, with CFB/BCNext as the chief architect.

Currently, and since 2 years back, the PoW done on the permissioned network is for illusion of security and marketing. It is the central authority called Coordinator node, which determines the state and consensus.

To be on topic: No coin can do what you ask of today, the most promising is Byteball.

This is not true. The coordinator is an optional compotent. You can configure your node to be part of the network without the coordinator. At the moment nobody is doing it, but it would be possible at any time. If done the network would work without the coordinator, but be suspensible to a 34% attack, just like BTC and ETH are today (51% is an urban legend).

I don't think Byteball is promising. Byteball is basically a clone of IOTA (the author says IOTA inspired him) with added fees, minus the coordinator, minus oracles, minus trinary math, minus the JINN processor, minus a scientific nonprofit foundation.
Without the coordinator being active on the IOTA network today, it is not secured by the PoW done by the nodes.

Simple reason why nobody is deactivating that optional feature. Nobody wants to be the first to loose their money.

Buy some more snake oil, for sure.
Sharky444

Activity: 724
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 09:56:39 PM

I think you have no clue what the coordinator does. It does not create TX, does no POW, and does not confirm TX. It decides the growth direction of the DAG.

Radix - just imagine
r0ach
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 04, 2017, 12:05:25 AM

I think you have no clue what the coordinator does. It does not create TX, does no POW, and does not confirm TX. It decides the growth direction of the DAG.

That sounds like a long-winded mental gymnastics version of the word "convergence" while trying to avoid implying it's artificial convergence lol.

......ATLANT......
..Real Estate Blockchain Platform..
                    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                    ████████████░
                  ▄██████████████░
                 ▒███████▄████████░
                ▒█████████░████████░
                ▀███████▀█████████
                  ██████████████
           ███████▐██▀████▐██▄████████░
          ▄████▄█████████▒████▌█████████░
         ███████▄█████████▀██████████████░
        █████████▌█████████▐█████▄████████░
        ▀█████████████████▐███████████████
          █████▀████████ ░███████████████
    ██████▐██████████▄████████████████████████░
  ▄████▄████████▐███████████████░▄▄▄▄░████████░
 ▄██████▄█████████▐█████▄█████████▀████▄█████████░
███████████████████▐█████▄█████████▐██████████████░
▀████████▀█████████▒██████████████▐█████▀█████████
  ████████████████ █████▀█████████████████████████
   ▀██▀██████████ ▐█████████████  ▀██▀██████████
    ▀▀█████████    ▀▀█████████    ▀▀██████████

..INVEST  ●  RENT  ●  TRADE..
 ✓Assurance     ✓Price Discovery     ✓Liquidity     ✓Low Fees

███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

◣Whitepaper ◣ANN ThreadTelegram
◣ Facebook     ◣ Reddit          ◣ Slack

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███

Hero/Legendary members
luey

Activity: 121

View Profile
July 04, 2017, 12:29:13 AM

Currently they can't. From IOTA #tanglemath channel I've received an answer similar to this:

Tiny IOT devices like temperature sensors will connect to a proxy node and send the data. The proxy node will take the data and create a TX by doing the POW.
At a later time the sensors will be able to generate the POW themselves by using the JINN processor. This will be a trinary processor with extremely low power usage. Apparently they work since 2 years on that hardware, with CFB/BCNext as the chief architect.

Currently, and since 2 years back, the PoW done on the permissioned network is for illusion of security and marketing. It is the central authority called Coordinator node, which determines the state and consensus.

To be on topic: No coin can do what you ask of today, the most promising is Byteball.

This is not true. The coordinator is an optional component. You can configure your node to be part of the network without the coordinator. At the moment nobody is doing it, but it would be possible at any time. If done the network would work without the coordinator, but be suspensible to a 34% attack, just like BTC and ETH are today (51% is an urban legend).

I don't think Byteball is promising. Byteball is basically a clone of IOTA (the author says IOTA inspired him) with added fees, minus the coordinator, minus oracles, minus trinary math, minus the JINN processor, minus a scientific nonprofit foundation.
Without the coordinator being active on the IOTA network today, it is not secured by the PoW done by the nodes.

Simple reason why nobody is deactivating that optional feature. Nobody wants to be the first to loose their money.

Buy some more snake oil, for sure.

Man you are full of it, you are damaging yourself and byteball by continuously trolling like you've done.
I also praise byteball with it's own Pros, and Tony definitely is a coding machine, but you need to stop this bullshit.

Why don't you put both side of the stories out and let people compare themselves.
what about the current situation with the witness counts? they majority mostly belongs to someone?Huh
and what about all the current non-distributed coins??? someone is holding them still???

Your an ass, crypto is new and it needs some guidance and bootstrapping in the beginning,
sometimes centralized nurture is the most efficient way. iota has done it as decentralised(probably the most decentralized) manner as possible.
before you go bashing others, provide your own flaws to not end up sounding like a hypocrite.

Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
July 04, 2017, 07:07:35 AM

It's enough to check your posts history to see how much these words are worth.  Cheesy
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
July 04, 2017, 07:13:17 AM

That sounds like a long-winded mental gymnastics version of the word "convergence" while trying to avoid implying it's artificial convergence lol.

I googled for "artificial convergence" and got https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/master/src/checkpoints.cpp lol.
SatoNatomato

View Profile
July 08, 2017, 11:58:35 AM

It's enough to check your posts history to see how much these words are worth.  Cheesy
Its enough to know you are BCNext, your previous scam coin, how much is it worth now, Nxt? Typical pump-and-dump scam-coin, you have done it before, you're doing it again with iota.

You are good at making scam coins, get your profits, dump, then starting another one. Greedy people are your victims, when they buy in they cant handle pain of being fooled so they too push your scam-coin further attempting to lure more victims in.  Kiss

If I am wrong in critique of Iota, there would be no need for you, Developer and founder of Iota, to follow me around in every btctalk thread, like a bad fart, and question my reputation, like I give a shit about my rep or status on an internet forum  Cheesy.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
July 08, 2017, 01:54:51 PM

Its enough to know you are BCNext, your previous scam coin, how much is it worth now, Nxt? Typical pump-and-dump scam-coin, you have done it before, you're doing it again with iota.

You are good at making scam coins, get your profits, dump, then starting another one. Greedy people are your victims, when they buy in they cant handle pain of being fooled so they too push your scam-coin further attempting to lure more victims in.  Kiss

If I am wrong in critique of Iota, there would be no need for you, Developer and founder of Iota, to follow me around in every btctalk thread, like a bad fart, and question my reputation, like I give a shit about my rep or status on an internet forum  Cheesy.

alex-ru
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1010

View Profile
July 09, 2017, 09:55:43 PM

1. Can blockchain-based currencies really work with billions of users?

Sure:

1. How To Enable On-Chain Scaling (Dash)
2. OFFICIAL DASH ROADMAP

v16 - 512TX/S
v17 - 1024TX/S
v18 - 2048TX/S
v19 - 4096TX/S

Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
July 10, 2017, 08:29:27 AM

v16 - 512TX/S
v17 - 1024TX/S
v18 - 2048TX/S
v19 - 4096TX/S

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheat_and_chessboard_problem  Grin
SatoNatomato

View Profile
July 10, 2017, 07:13:20 PM

coordinator
ˌkəʊˈɔːdɪneɪtə/
noun
noun: coordinator; plural noun: coordinators; noun: co-ordinator; plural noun: co-ordinators

a person whose job is to organize events or activities and to negotiate with others in order to ensure they work together effectively.
    "a full-time coordinator was appointed to oversee the referral process"
    Grammar
    a word used to connect clauses, sentences, or words of equal syntactic importance (e.g. and, or, for ).
    "subordinate clauses can be connected with a coordinator".

Remember people, IOTA is a scam, now CfB looks for more victims after his Nxt coin.
zeroth (OP)

Activity: 48
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 18, 2017, 10:27:09 AM

v19 - 4096TX/S

So v19 will be capable of supporting as many TX as VISA currently handles? When do you expect to release v19?
SatoNatomato

View Profile
July 19, 2017, 08:38:11 PM

Please Coordinator expert, enlighten the rest of us what would the effects be on the IOTA network if the Coordinators network-cable was tripped over and disconnected?  Shocked

Its private-keys stolen?
Fragbait

Activity: 205

View Profile
August 06, 2017, 12:28:25 PM

The filing now has a hard deadline of 13th July...after which I can reveal all about the ledger / consensus tech we have developed.

What happen?
zeroth (OP)

Activity: 48
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 12, 2017, 06:11:17 AM

The filing now has a hard deadline of 13th July...after which I can reveal all about the ledger / consensus tech we have developed.

What happen?

Hi Fuserleer, any more info about Radix? I don't think there's anything new on your website. Thanks Smiley
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: