Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 11:03:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Running a blockchain on private network  (Read 592 times)
Bitcoin Guy (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 28, 2017, 12:08:12 AM

I know some companies are working on running blockchain on private network, but how is it decentralized?  Isn't it still centralized if their are having their own computers (nodes) doing the validation?

- To be or not to be, that is the question. -

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinHodler

Activity: 1456
Merit: 578

HODLing is an art, not just a word...

View Profile
June 29, 2017, 12:01:32 PM

the blockchain technology is not just offering decentralization. it is also a fast and secure way of making transactions that can not be changed between nodes. these nodes can be running an open source code like the cryptocurrencies that we know and be decentralized or they can be running a modified and personal version of the technology and be run only be their data centers and be centralized like what banks are planning to do.

i suppose it can be something like this:
all the branches of a certain bank will become a node that will broadcast their transactions to their own network and store the blockchain the same way they are currently storing their customers account info.

Holding Bitcoin More Every Day
HabBear

Activity: 1106
Merit: 637

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2017, 01:53:23 PM

I know some companies are working on running blockchain on private network, but how is it decentralized?  Isn't it still centralized if their are having their own computers (nodes) doing the validation?

This is what Ethereum offers. They also offer a blockchain template for public access, but much of the purpose of that template is set up for private use in a closed network.

With respect to centralize vs. decentralized, i believe you're confusing the purposes of the blockchain with the purpose of bitcoin. Bitcoin, the currency, gains greater purpose as a decentralized network/system. A corporate currency or loyalty program, a voting system, an open ledger for accounting of transactions would all benefit from a blockchain that does have a central authority for control.

To your specific example, if a corporation had a truly public ledger (blockchain) they'd enable confidential information (e.g., transactions, revenue, expenses, strategic buying, etc.) to their competition...this would be terrible for business! In this corporate context the blockchain serves to be decentralized from the finance or accounting team within the organization, so a few employees don't have sole visibility into the transactions. The blockchain also offers reduced effort and costs in maintaining the transaction tracking.

Does this help explain?
cellard
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1252

View Profile
June 29, 2017, 01:57:10 PM

Corporations don't care and couldn't care less about decentralization, they want to have everything in control and they don't see any advantages in decentralizing their databases. Honestly, I don't see what the advantages of a blockchain on a centralized and closed source environment brings any improvements upon the traditional MySQL database approach to control data. Why even bother?
Bitcoin Guy (OP)

View Profile
June 29, 2017, 02:26:41 PM

This is what Ethereum offers. They also offer a blockchain template for public access, but much of the purpose of that template is set up for private use in a closed network.

With respect to centralize vs. decentralized, i believe you're confusing the purposes of the blockchain with the purpose of bitcoin. Bitcoin, the currency, gains greater purpose as a decentralized network/system. A corporate currency or loyalty program, a voting system, an open ledger for accounting of transactions would all benefit from a blockchain that does have a central authority for control.

To your specific example, if a corporation had a truly public ledger (blockchain) they'd enable confidential information (e.g., transactions, revenue, expenses, strategic buying, etc.) to their competition...this would be terrible for business! In this corporate context the blockchain serves to be decentralized from the finance or accounting team within the organization, so a few employees don't have sole visibility into the transactions. The blockchain also offers reduced effort and costs in maintaining the transaction tracking.

Does this help explain?

Thank you, HabBear.  It helps.  A concern that I have is that if there are only a handful of uses approving the transactions in a private blockchain, won't it be easier for someone to buy them off if they want to tamper with the transactions history?  Perhaps a few admins is better than just one main admin.

Also, I know many companies are in the EEA working with Ethereum.  Does it benefit the demand for ethers if they are all running on their own blockchain?

Bitcoin Guy (OP)

View Profile
June 29, 2017, 02:28:19 PM

I don't see what the advantages of a blockchain on a centralized and closed source environment brings any improvements upon the traditional MySQL database approach to control data. Why even bother?

I have the same doubt too.   Smiley

HabBear

Activity: 1106
Merit: 637

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2017, 03:36:03 PM

Thank you, HabBear.  It helps.  A concern that I have is that if there are only a handful of uses approving the transactions in a private blockchain, won't it be easier for someone to buy them off if they want to tamper with the transactions history?  Perhaps a few admins is better than just one main admin.

Also, I know many companies are in the EEA working with Ethereum.  Does it benefit the demand for ethers if they are all running on their own blockchain?

Yes, it would be easier. But we have to consider what the private blockchain is for and who is influenced by any good or wrong doing. If it's a corporation, the corporation itself could fail or become target of regulatory or legal sanctions. That's bad for the company, the employees, the shareholders, but not society as a whole. The cool thing about the blockchain technology is that the uses are so widespread. But with anything, if it is designed to fail or if the people using it have intent to make it fail, it will fail.

The question to ask is where is the line to be drawn between what a company or organization can do for their own operations and when the public should have concern over how that company or organization using the technology.

E.g., We all use airplanes for transportation. Drug smugglers also use planes to smuggle drugs. Does that mean that the planes are flawed? Does that mean we should outlaw they use of planes by drug smugglers?

The technology is only as good as the people using it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: