Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 05:50:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: If I built a website for Alt-Coin Escrow (as described below) would you use it?
Yes, I would use it to buy and sell - 14 (45.2%)
Yes, I would want to provide Escrow - 5 (16.1%)
No, just use these forums to find an escrow (e.g sticky thread) - 5 (16.1%)
No, no need for something like this - 7 (22.6%)
Total Voters: 31

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Poll]If I built a website for Alt-Coin Escrow would you use it?  (Read 839 times)
mebezac (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 01:20:32 PM
Last edit: May 08, 2013, 01:54:59 PM by mebezac

So, with all the new coins coming out and the hype each one gets with people looking to buy and sell coins minutes after the release, there is a lot of room for people to get scammed.

What I am proposing is building a site on which some trusted members of the site could register themselves as escrows for whichever coins they choose too. They would have a public profile showing the addresses they use for escrow so they can be checked at anytime to make sure they are not scamming.

The site would also show who is currently online so that you can trade faster by finding an escrow who is currently online and working. We could also have a section for reviews of the escrow commenting on how fast they are, etc.

As an escrow you could set all your own options, fixed fee, %fee, or a combination of the both, minimum or maximum # of coins to handle, etc. Basically, it would be up to the escrow to set their own rates. This would also help people find better options.

Would anyone be interested in a site like this? I wouldn't really try to make any money off of something like this, maybe put some ads, if that, I'm just tired of seeing people get scammed. If someone else builds it before me, or makes a better version, or something like this already exists, so be it, I just want something in place to help people.

As I write this, honestly we could probably just have a sticky thread for people offering escrow and their terms if people would rather do that.

BTC: 168d57nW72Y6DidPgE88iL7vYmpQD45dYK|LTC: LLPttXuFF2uTo2CWeEwXU5CwcUcgQ4NGd3

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
psybits
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 01:25:34 PM

I could be an escrow but my rates would be quite high - as my time is valuable  Wink
mebezac (OP)

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 01:27:44 PM

I could be an escrow but my rates would be quite high - as my time is valuable  Wink
how high?  Tongue

psybits
Legendary

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 01:30:29 PM

I could be an escrow but my rates would be quite high - as my time is valuable  Wink
how high?  Tongue

Maybe something like 5% for orders under 5 BTC equivalent total - 2.5% for orders over this volume - 1% for orders over 10 BTC equivalent.

Subject to change Smiley Ha ha !

Seriously though I could do it for these rates.
mebezac (OP)

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 01:44:47 PM

So far 4 5 votes for making something like this, 2 for not, interesting  Roll Eyes

Maybe something like 5% for orders under 5 BTC equivalent total - 2.5% for orders over this volume - 1% for orders over 10 BTC equivalent.

You can be my first Escrow provider if this ends up being something people want built Grin

mebezac (OP)

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 01:51:13 PM

People voting no, I would be interested in hearing you opinion on why we don't need this.

JimmyFL

Activity: 84

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 01:59:11 PM

I was already thinking about a site like that, but a completely different system  Wink

My idea: Something like an exchange

1) Both sides will create a profile
2) They will choose the person they want to trade with
3) They will choose the currency (each side another)
4) They will input their wallet address
5) They will send the amount of coins requested by the other side to a address proposed by the site
6) In meanwhile, the other side is doing the same thing
7) When both transaction person=>site are accepted by the site, a big green button will appear : "Are you sure do exchange XLTC for YBTC with PERSON_Z?"
Cool If both sides accept this, the money will be send automatically to provided addresses (transaction "site=>person")
9) There will always be a big red button "stop the trade" and both sites will be refunded

Unfortunately I don't have time to make it work right now, so feel free to use my idea  Wink

psybits
Legendary

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 02:03:14 PM

People voting no, I would be interested in hearing you opinion on why we don't need this.

Because they're scammers?  Cheesy
Caesar V

Activity: 369
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 02:06:18 PM

don't forget to add a trollbox  Grin
mebezac (OP)

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 02:07:38 PM

I was already thinking about a site like that, but a completely different system  Wink

5) They will send the amount of coins requested by the other side to a address proposed by the site
7) When both transaction person=>site are accepted by the site, a big green button will appear : "Are you sure do exchange XLTC for YBTC with PERSON_Z?"
Cool If both sides accept this, the money will be send automatically to provided addresses (transaction "site=>person")
9) There will always be a big red button "stop the trade" and both sites will be refunded

Unfortunately I don't have time to make it work right now, so feel free to use my idea  Wink

I like the idea, it's basically just an automated escrow. The only problem I see is that with the rate that new coins get made and then posted to exchanges, it would be kind of hard to keep when you would have to code and test for each new coin made. The way I envision it, I troll around on these forums a lot, but not constantly. The second a new coin goes live, someone acting as an escrow could edit their profile to add that coin as one they do escrow for, therefore in essence, "decentralizing" the escrow process away from me. I would just be providing the platform for people to use to communicate more efficiently and safely then trying to wade through all the posts on here.  

mebezac (OP)

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 02:07:58 PM

don't forget to add a trollbox  Grin

Of course  Roll Eyes

psybits
Legendary

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 02:09:24 PM

So far 4 5 votes for making something like this, 2 for not, interesting  Roll Eyes

You can be my first Escrow provider if this ends up being something people want built Grin

Deal  Wink
mebezac (OP)

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 02:13:47 PM

Also, I could keep a running list of know scammers, I know there is already something like that here, but never hurts to have it more than one place.

Any other features people would want?

P.S.
In case anyone was wondering how I would verify that a user on my site is indeed the same user as this site. I was thinking I could just have them sign up with the same username on my site and then I would send them a random phrase or number to post on a thread here verifying their identity. Anyone see any flaws in that? I'm totally open to suggestions. If I'm going to take the time to build this, I want to do it right and include as much as you guys want that I have the capabilities to include.

mebezac (OP)

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 02:50:28 PM

No matter what happens with this thread or if the site gets built or not, please read this : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=199130.0 before trading at all on here.

lakeluke

Activity: 64

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 03:09:57 PM

I think this is an excellent idea; the exchange could make a little money by charging 0.25% to each party.

To the OP: if you have the required skills this is the way to go, eliminating the need for human escrow
mebezac (OP)

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 03:23:15 PM

I think this is an excellent idea; the exchange could make a little money by charging 0.25% to each party.

To the OP: if you have the required skills this is the way to go, eliminating the need for human escrow

Well isn't this basically how all exchanges work? You send your coins to the exchange's address, then you list a price you want to sell at, someone wants to buy, they have sent their coins to the exchange's address and the exchange then sends the coins to the appropriate parties while maintaining a small fee.

Now, what the automated escrow idea could do though, would make it easier to do private deals without advertising the price you're selling at.

Still, as I commented earlier, human escrows can get set up way faster than coding in new coins each time they are released. But still, a pretty good idea I think.

BBQKorv

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 04:02:51 PM

Build an automatic exchange like vircurex or bter, no need for escrows after that.
mebezac (OP)

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 09:17:18 PM

Why not, I'm bored, I'll start working on something over this weekend, psybits has officially claimed the spot as first escrow provider, so look out for a pm to beta test it some time in the next week hopefully.

Also, if anyone has any cool names, let me know.

mebezac (OP)

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 09:19:58 PM

Build an automatic exchange like vircurex or bter, no need for escrows after that.

Thanks for giving me a good answer. I don't really want to build a full out automated exchange. I don't expect this site will be for everyone, but if it helps 1 less person get scammed, I think I'll have done a good job.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: