Bitcoin Forum
August 14, 2024, 05:15:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice on RX 580 rig  (Read 292 times)
mgrommet (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 28, 2017, 04:24:17 PM
Last edit: June 28, 2017, 05:32:41 PM by mgrommet

I've been tinkering with cryptomining with a single GPU to just get my feet wet and I think I'm
ready to jump in.

I'm trying to spec out a rig running   7 x 8gb rx 580's

I think I have a pretty good understanding of all the various hardware considerations except for
estimating the power needs.

The cards are rated at 225 watts...   so, for max  7 x 225 watts = 1575

But I know it's not that simple.   I see lots of posts about moding the rx 580s and they seem to be using significantly less than 225 watts...

So, can someone help me distill the information out there?  Realistically, for say, a dual mining rig, what would a power guesstimate be for such a setup?

I've heard of running multiple smaller PSUs in the same rig... Thoughts on the appropriateness of that?

Thanks so much!

iamnoobplzhelp

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 28, 2017, 08:26:37 PM

Firstly, good luck finding 7x RX 580s. They are out of stock globally.

Second, if you undervolt, you can get your cards way under 225w. Personally, my RX 580s run between 60w-100w for eth only mining. Dual mining can be +50%.

Also, you generally want to run your power supplies at only 80% of their max if mining 24/7. If you constantly run it at 90%+ of load, then the lifespan will be significantly reduced.

I use a server power supply like this to power the cards and the risers for up to 8 cards.
http://www.parallelminer.com/product/hp-1200-watt-power-supply-kit-for-gpu-mining-platinum-94-zec-dash-eth/
Then I use a ~400w PSU for the motherboard and SSD.

You also want to use PCIe 6 pin powered risers, like this:
http://www.parallelminer.com/product/ithoo-usb3-0-pci-express-1x-to-16x-extender-riser-card-adapter-w-24-cable/

Then use a GPU power splitter like this to power both the card and the riser:
http://www.parallelminer.com/product/18awg-pci-e-6pin-to-dual-8-pin-y-splitter-extension-cable-2x-62pin-cable-6in-each-side/
pbuva

Activity: 194

View Profile
June 28, 2017, 09:03:19 PM

Better dont split PCIE and use PCIE + SATA

★ ★ ★ ★ ★   DeepOnion    Anonymous and Untraceable Cryptocurrency    TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
› › › › ›  JOIN THE NEW AIRDROP ✈️        VERIFIED WITH DEEPVAULT  ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN  WHITEPAPER  FACEBOOK  TWITTER  YOUTUBE  FORUM   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
mgrommet (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 28, 2017, 09:57:01 PM

Firstly, good luck finding 7x RX 580s. They are out of stock globally.

We shall see, I've placed an order with a vendor... they claim they'll be ready to ship in 15 working days... which, while not what I'd prefer, gives me time to get everything else ready to rumble.

Second, if you undervolt, you can get your cards way under 225w. Personally, my RX 580s run between 60w-100w for eth only mining. Dual mining can be +50%.

Also, you generally want to run your power supplies at only 80% of their max if mining 24/7. If you constantly run it at 90%+ of load, then the lifespan will be significantly reduced.

Good info there... 

I use a server power supply like this to power the cards and the risers for up to 8 cards.
http://www.parallelminer.com/product/hp-1200-watt-power-supply-kit-for-gpu-mining-platinum-94-zec-dash-eth/
Then I use a ~400w PSU for the motherboard and SSD.

I like the idea of using a server power supply... much more cost effective than the high end desktop PSUs.  I'll do some shopping around to see if I can find something.  Good advice!

Thank you for the great info!
iamnoobplzhelp

Activity: 168

View Profile
June 28, 2017, 10:09:03 PM

No no no no no.

SATA can provide only 50W max, depending on rail it's connected to, it can be much lower.
The 6-pin PCIe can provide 75W, it's MUCH safer.

The PCIe are all connected to the 12v rail and can provide much more power.

This is the safest way to power the card + riser.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: