Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 01:36:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin on 7news  (Read 386 times)
DOGE12321 (OP)

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 28, 2017, 11:32:11 PM

So I was sitting in my bedroom last night and watching the afternoon news. I was surprised when they said Bitcoin. It immediately grabbed my attention. I heard that a new chain of Bitcoin ATMs was being dispatched all over Sydney. They went on to talk as to what Bitcoin was and its advantages over fiat. They even included the price of Bitcoin and its price growth.

7news claims to be the most watched news in Australia. I don't totally believe that, but I know that many people, including my friends, watch it. Bitcoin has finally got mainstream media attention. This is great news!
bitcoinbox

Activity: 675
Merit: 254

So far so good

View Profile
June 28, 2017, 11:38:19 PM

I've seen it as well. BTC is getting more and more popular in Australia.
HabBear

Activity: 1106
Merit: 637

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2017, 02:58:46 AM

Australia is becoming fairly bitcoin friendly, yeah?

Do you remember the name of this bitcoin ATM network? I'd like to look up their fees and premiums over fair exchange.

Bitcoin ATMs are a fantastic idea, but where I live they all charge a ~10+% premium over the price to buy bitcoin (or under to sell). So it's never the most efficient buying or selling option. In fact, it's worth the wait for other transactions to clear just to get a fair price.
magneto

Activity: 1666
Merit: 753

View Profile
June 29, 2017, 10:38:36 AM

Do you remember the name of this bitcoin ATM network? I'd like to look up their fees and premiums over fair exchange.

Bitcoin ATMs are a fantastic idea, but where I live they all charge a ~10+% premium over the price to buy bitcoin (or under to sell). So it's never the most efficient buying or selling option. In fact, it's worth the wait for other transactions to clear just to get a fair price.

Here is the actual segment: https://www.facebook.com/7newssydney/videos/1720556641301795/

The thing about bitcoin ATMs in australia is, as to my understanding beforehand bitcoin buyers in australia had to pay a 10% GST(equivalent to VAT in europe) on top of the current bitcoin price which is marked up. And when you make a purchase with bitcoin you'd have to pay another 10% GST, so basically double taxing.

New laws rolling out in 2 days will mean that there are no taxes when you buy bitcoin, only taxes when you buy something with BTC. So thus is the reason of this boom in interest in Australia regarding bitcoin. GJ australian gov on this one.
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 29, 2017, 10:40:46 AM

Here is the actual segment: https://www.facebook.com/7newssydney/videos/1720556641301795/

The thing about bitcoin ATMs in australia is, as to my understanding beforehand bitcoin buyers in australia had to pay a 10% GST(equivalent to VAT in europe) on top of the current bitcoin price which is marked up. And when you make a purchase with bitcoin you'd have to pay another 10% GST, so basically double taxing.

New laws rolling out in 2 days will mean that there are no taxes when you buy bitcoin, only taxes when you buy something with BTC. So thus is the reason of this boom in interest in Australia regarding bitcoin. GJ australian gov on this one.

So basically they were not treating bitcoin as a currency when you bought it, which means you had to pay VAT.
But when you are buying something with bitcoin, it suddenly is currency and you have to pay VAT on the good you are buying.

Good thing they are changing this to be in line with other countries stance on bitcoin status.
L00n3y

Activity: 490
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 29, 2017, 10:45:23 AM

So I was sitting in my bedroom last night and watching the afternoon news. I was surprised when they said Bitcoin. It immediately grabbed my attention. I heard that a new chain of Bitcoin ATMs was being dispatched all over Sydney. They went on to talk as to what Bitcoin was and its advantages over fiat. They even included the price of Bitcoin and its price growth.

7news claims to be the most watched news in Australia. I don't totally believe that, but I know that many people, including my friends, watch it. Bitcoin has finally got mainstream media attention. This is great news!

Bitcoins popularity is spreading like wildfire. Not just btc, almost every week new ICO is being introduced that's why they are calling it The ICO year. Even my classmates that once don't have an interest in Bitcoin has been asking how much I had because I might be very rich, that's funny cause btc is hard to earn. If it goes something like this and many countries are open in legalizing btc then its price will soar to even 100k $.
TomUyamot

Activity: 504
Merit: 252

View Profile
June 29, 2017, 10:53:26 AM

Great news! And coming from Australia!  Cool

Another country added to the list. Other countries are definitely watching such a huge modern step coming from a modern country. They will for sure consider looking at this thing stuff called bitcoin.

By the way, here is another news all the way from China. They seem to be jumping into the blockchain bandwagon. http://www.rappler.com/technology/news/174108-ukraine-maersk-new-wave-global-cyberattacks
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: