Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:04:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Price in rate or price in dollars  (Read 1113 times)
Feathercoiner (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 03:50:02 PM

Hello,

Noob question.

Is it better to look at the value in rate http://dustcoin.com/mining or price in USD http://feathercoinprice.com

I am ultimately going to trade my feathercoins to BTCs and BTCs to USD so I guess I dont know why FTC isnt really referenced in USD like it is on feathercoinprice opposed to a rate of exchange in btcs. is it just preference?
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Xanthe

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 04:19:30 PM

Whenever a new coin hits an exchange, it's almost always first traded against the Bitcoin. This was the case with Feathercoin. At this point in time, I do not know of any exchanges that are trading Feathercoins directly for USD. The Feathercoin price website that you linked is simply calculating the price of Feathercoins in USD based on the FTC -> BTC -> USD rates. This is the same thing that dustcoin does when you use the calculator (it can calculate hourly/daily/etc profits in USD). All of the coins listed at dustcoin are at minimum tradable directly for Bitcoins and thus comparing them based on this rate is the easiest method possible.

As a side-note, some alt-coins like Litecoin are traded on sites like BTC-e directly for USD. There may at times be small disparities in the value of LTC/USD vs LTC/BTC/USD but it never really becomes considerable as trading bots are quick to gobble up arbitrage opportunities.

Ultimately, when considering the profitability of any coin, I look at the rate at which it can be mined and its exchange rate against Bitcoins. This is exactly what dustcoin does for you and I highly recommend considering its advice. Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: