Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 12:02:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do most bitcoin users actually think..  (Read 3491 times)
kalinka (OP)

Activity: 106
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 04:34:21 PM

Do most bitcoin users actually think that bitcoin is going to 'replace other currency, ATMs on every street corner', etc. at some point in the future? Is such a future actually necessary for bitcoin's continued success or maintainance?

I personally think that such a view is not realistic, but I like bitcoin because I believe in the concept, so I will continue to use bitcoin on some occasions. Is the view I mentioned the general consensus of users that use bitcoin, or just the opinion on a few of what COULD happen? Just want to know people's thoughts..

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tutkarz

Activity: 546
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 04:40:43 PM

as web game developer i'm not going to use anything else than bitcoin ever. I dont want to waste my time with banks or other money processors if i can handle money transfers by myself. And do it better, cheaper and faster.

kalinka (OP)

Activity: 106

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 04:45:11 PM

Not saying that it's not useful. But sometimes I see some posts that are like, everyone is going to stop using the dollar and move to bitcoins! I don't really see a majority of the population giving up on fiat.

Blueberry408

Activity: 97

One American Sumbitch Which Love 8

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 05:05:01 PM

Do most bitcoin users actually think that bitcoin is going to 'replace other currency, ATMs on every street corner', etc. at some point in the future? Is such a future actually necessary for bitcoin's continued success or maintainance?

I personally think that such a view is not realistic, but I like bitcoin because I believe in the concept, so I will continue to use bitcoin on some occasions. Is the view I mentioned the general consensus of users that use bitcoin, or just the opinion on a few of what COULD happen? Just want to know people's thoughts..

It could replace paypal. That makes it interesting enough. Plus, it's minable, which is amazing.

Feel free to send along any spare floating point remainders: 1CVTqVbqHTw35xGKfp4vmxggKdkMVwswtr
RoadToHell

Activity: 260
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 05:07:24 PM

The simplest transaction occurs face-to-face where one person physically hands another person some money in exchange for something else.  In the absence of electricity and connected devices there is no (easy) way to do face-to-face bitcoin transactions.  Online transactions are just virtual representations of the simple transaction.  Most people do not want to clutter their daily lives with exchange rates and multiple currencies.  Since they will always need to have currency for the simple face-to-face transactions, and they can use the same currency for online transactions, there is very good motivation to stick to that currency.  Aside from some evangelical bitcoiners, people will continue to use fiat currencies as their base of operation AND their frame of reference until bitcoins can be made to work for those simple real-world transactions.

Sam Spade: We were talking about a lot more money than this.
Kasper Gutman: Yes, sir, we were, but this is genuine coin of the realm. With a dollar of this, you can buy ten dollars of talk.
Blueberry408

Activity: 97

One American Sumbitch Which Love 8

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 05:22:17 PM

The simplest transaction occurs face-to-face where one person physically hands another person some money in exchange for something else.  In the absence of electricity and connected devices there is no (easy) way to do face-to-face bitcoin transactions.  Online transactions are just virtual representations of the simple transaction.  Most people do not want to clutter their daily lives with exchange rates and multiple currencies.  Since they will always need to have currency for the simple face-to-face transactions, and they can use the same currency for online transactions, there is very good motivation to stick to that currency.  Aside from some evangelical bitcoiners, people will continue to use fiat currencies as their base of operation AND their frame of reference until bitcoins can be made to work for those simple real-world transactions.

I think QR codes are easy. 

Cash register has a QR code. I scan and pay. The hyperfast bitcoin network of the future verifies the payment.  That was easy. I didn't have to touch filthy disease-laden cash or remember any passwords.  I pressed a button, typed in the amount, and the cash register rings.  It's a germophobe's dream!

Feel free to send along any spare floating point remainders: 1CVTqVbqHTw35xGKfp4vmxggKdkMVwswtr
superduh

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 05:24:42 PM

The simplest transaction occurs face-to-face where one person physically hands another person some money in exchange for something else.  In the absence of electricity and connected devices there is no (easy) way to do face-to-face bitcoin transactions.  Online transactions are just virtual representations of the simple transaction.  Most people do not want to clutter their daily lives with exchange rates and multiple currencies.  Since they will always need to have currency for the simple face-to-face transactions, and they can use the same currency for online transactions, there is very good motivation to stick to that currency.  Aside from some evangelical bitcoiners, people will continue to use fiat currencies as their base of operation AND their frame of reference until bitcoins can be made to work for those simple real-world transactions.

I think QR codes are easy. 

Cash register has a QR code. I scan and pay. The futuristic hyperfast bitcoin network of the future verifies the payment.  That was easy. I didn't have to touch filthy disease-laden cash or remember any passwords.  I pressed a button, typed in the amount, and the cash register rings.  It's a germophobe's dream!
you prob want to have a password then, just sayin

ok
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 05:50:41 PM

Do most bitcoin users actually think that bitcoin is going to 'replace other currency, ATMs on every street corner', etc. at some point in the future?

No.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 05:52:22 PM

I don't know if other people will use it everyday for basic purchases, I just know that I will.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
ewitte

Activity: 98

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 06:03:14 PM

Not saying that it's not useful. But sometimes I see some posts that are like, everyone is going to stop using the dollar and move to bitcoins! I don't really see a majority of the population giving up on fiat.

Not because of bitcoin fiat is dead because the world is tired of greedy backstabbing control freaks.  Things are moving most people don't know about.  They few are not going to be allowed to control everyone much longer.

Donations
BTC - 13Lgy6fb4d3nSYEf2nkgBgyBkkhPw8zkPd
LTC - LegzRwyc2Xhu8cqvaW2jwRrqSnhyaYU6gZ
Mcoroklo

Activity: 77
Merit: 1

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2013, 06:43:35 PM

I am convinced some kind of crypto currency will be the world-wide currency in the future. However, if that is Bitcoin or some world-government backed currency in the future, I don't know.
mco65

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2013, 06:44:39 PM

not in my lifetime..
but i am an old fart.
davidpbrown

Activity: 531
Merit: 260

Vires in Numeris

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2013, 09:21:24 PM

Physical coins have a real edge..

Potentially some trusted source, like Government, could make physical coins equivalent to their own cryptocurrency.. stamping them with a unique number.

Most likely Bitcoin will become an established parallel and perhaps in a couple of decades once it's confirmed itself, then we'll be born with an amount of BTC to our name and utopia will naturally follow.. it's all good Wink

฿://12vxXHdmurFP3tpPk7bt6YrM3XPiftA82s
Mahn

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 09:27:14 PM

I don't think so, but it doesn't need to. Email didn't completely replace written/printed letters Wink

Birdy

Activity: 364

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 09:33:06 PM

Physical coins have a real edge..

Potentially some trusted source, like Government, could make physical coins equivalent to their own cryptocurrency.. stamping them with a unique number.

Most likely Bitcoin will become an established parallel and perhaps in a couple of decades once it's confirmed itself, then we'll be born with an amount of BTC to our name and utopia will naturally follow.. it's all good Wink

They could also give out banknotes that are backed up by Bitcoins lol
All they would need to do is printing notes with Bitcoin adresses without private keys, but the right to claim them for this banknote somewhere.
stslimited

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 12:08:39 AM

Bitcoin could really make online as well as person 2 person transaction very easy and practical.

example: If you are with a friend and want to remit 213 dollars, this is impractical since your friend does not accept credit cards.

that amount of cash isn't prohibitive but nobody thinks it is smart to carry that much around, your friend ultimately wants this in their account and may tolerate paypal, but doesn't really want to, because it will take 3 days before it gets anywhere they can actually use, and the "abnormal transaction" might freeze their paypal account since they dont use it regularly.

Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2013, 12:36:58 AM

As long as I can use bitcoin for what I need to use and leave government currency behind that is all I care about. If other people use it or not, that is up to them.

I can already use bitcoin for about 80% of what I spend on.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
BitcoinAshley

Activity: 448

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 12:39:48 AM

You don't think people will give up on fiat? The problem is, when fiat enters hyperinflation, people don't have a choice.

We live in an interesting time where the worlds' major fiat currencies are being printed at an alarming rate. And by alarming, I mean - look at the freakin' graph. That the USD and JPY haven't seen hyperinflation yet is astounding. The current rate of printing means that either (1) they will stop printing and the economy will crash and fiat will die, or (2) they will continue printing up until a point that triggers a hyperinflation event, the economy will still crash, and fiat will be just as dead. It isn't a question of waiting for QE to work - QE doesn't work. It's a last-resort tactic that can only end badly.

What's being done right now and for the recent past is a Keynesian experiment. Don't assume fiat will continue to be stable just because it's been that way for most of your life. Tunnel vision etc.

That being said, bitcoin's future could be anyone's guess. There are numerous possibilities -
- A future world with a combination of local currencies, barter, real bills systems, precious metals, localized freeconomies, resource-based economies, and assorted cryptocoins.
Look through history and you will find examples of local currencies, precious metals, barter economies, and even on a smaller scale, tribal and village economies. Fiat was a nice experiment in state domination and its result was that Satoshi invented bitcoin to get us back on track Grin

Oh yeah, and what Elwar said. In the end, what matters to me is that I can use Bitcoin for many of the things I wish to purchase, which I can.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 12:42:35 AM

While I don't think that Bitcoin is ever going to exclusively exist as money, and that some form of fiat currency will continue to exist pretty much everywhere on Earth; I do think that Bitcoin (or it's successor) has the potential to become the world's next global reserve currency.  I can't envision a future wherein international trade is likely to return to any kind of gold standard; too many problems with letters-of-credit and such that Bitcoin solves natively.  In two generations, banknotes with the promise of "backing" by Bitcoin reserves will be common enough as well.  The age of paper fiat currencies is fading away, but it will take many generations before fiat is no longer dominate.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
bujiraso

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 04:33:37 AM

If a magic man approached me today and told me "Yes BTC will prosper as long as whatever fiat you choose." I would dump every penny today.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: