Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 05:33:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Really need some help with AMD card modding  (Read 374 times)
Golfmad (OP)

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 29, 2017, 10:18:11 AM

Hi guys

I have been trying for days to get my Sapphire RX 570 nitro+ cards to hash hire than the stock 22mhs. I have created the correct .rom file using Polaris bios editor, I have flashed the card using ATIFlash and I have also patched the system to get the mod recognised but still no luck at all.

The flash seems to go ok, when I restart the card is not recognised until I patch the system and after that I can see it in Windows 10. Someone has mentioned reinstalling the drivers after the mod, will this make any difference? I would imagine I would still have to patch the latest AMD Drivers because they instantly don't recognise the card again.

I have 4 cards in operation and if I load the card details using GPU-Z the bios info is the same for each card even after the mod. Not sure if this is meant to change after modding the card.

Thanks
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
June 29, 2017, 10:25:32 AM

That's correct, you need to patch the driver with the pixel patcher to bypass the signature check with a modded bios. The Bios info will not change in GPU-Z. Once the card shows up in Device Manager without errors, you can overclock and undervot it using Afterburner before starting the miner. Somewhere around 1150 MHz for the core clock and 2075 MHz for the memory clock with a -98 mV undervolt should get you to 28 MH/s. Also use HWinfo to check for memory errors once you overclock it.
Golfmad (OP)

View Profile
June 29, 2017, 10:28:59 AM

That's correct, you need to patch the driver with the pixel patcher to bypass the signature check with a modded bios. Once the card shows up in Device Manager without errors, you can overclock and undervot it using Afterburner before starting the miner. Somewhere around 1150 MHz for the core clock and 2075 MHz for the memory clock with a -98 mV undervolt should get you to 28 MH/s.

Hi, the only driver install that I have done is to install the latest AMD driver a couple of days ago when building the rig. After this I had modded the card and  the patcher works so that I can see the card but still no change in the hash rate. Do I need to reinstall the drivers for each card when I mod it?
vuli

Activity: 233
Merit: 100

Andrius | Junior Business developer at Unboxed ICO

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2017, 10:29:50 AM

emm, I think your card have dual bios. check for a switch/"jumper" on your gpu and turn it to oposite side.
Than it should work, or try to flash again in that mode.

Unboxed - rowing community of people getting paid to do what they love to get a share of the $36 billion brands are spending annually on Facebook Ads
Vann

View Profile
June 29, 2017, 10:37:33 AM

That's correct, you need to patch the driver with the pixel patcher to bypass the signature check with a modded bios. Once the card shows up in Device Manager without errors, you can overclock and undervot it using Afterburner before starting the miner. Somewhere around 1150 MHz for the core clock and 2075 MHz for the memory clock with a -98 mV undervolt should get you to 28 MH/s.

Hi, the only driver install that I have done is to install the latest AMD driver a couple of days ago when building the rig. After this I had modded the card and  the patcher works so that I can see the card but still no change in the hash rate. Do I need to reinstall the drivers for each card when I mod it?

If you have cards with a modded Bios, you need to use the pixel patcher any time there is a driver update, after adding a card or changing the Bios. If the card is still not recognized in Device Manager, uninstall the drivers in safe mode using DDU, reinstall the driver and apply the pixel patcher.
Golfmad (OP)

View Profile
June 29, 2017, 10:51:06 AM

The jumper is switched to be near the outputs. I am currently using DDU and will reinstall the drivers, will let you know if it works. Thanks
Golfmad (OP)

View Profile
June 29, 2017, 11:13:58 AM

Hi, the only driver install that I have done is to install the latest AMD driver a couple of days ago when building the rig. After this I had modded the card and  the patcher works so that I can see the card but still no change in the hash rate. Do I need to reinstall the drivers for each card when I mod it?

If you have cards with a modded Bios, you need to use the pixel patcher any time there is a driver update, after adding a card or changing the Bios. If the card is still not recognized in Device Manager, uninstall the drivers in safe mode using DDU, reinstall the driver and apply the pixel patcher.

Ok still no luck and here is exactly what I have done. I have 2 cards installed so I can compare.

1. Downloaded mod from here https://anorak.tech/c/downloads/sapphire
2. Flashed 1 card bios with the rom.
3. Used DDU to remove the drivers.
4. Installed latest AMD Drivers.
5. Used the patcher to patch the AMD driver.
6. Restarted the machine and the card with the mod is accepted.
7. Opened Claymore miner and still showing both cards at 22mhs.

I have even tweaked the settings with Afterburner and the hash rate goes down!

Sad Really frustrating.
Vann

View Profile
June 29, 2017, 12:07:20 PM

Ok still no luck and here is exactly what I have done. I have 2 cards installed so I can compare.

Sad Really frustrating.

Using a modded rom from someone else is not a good idea. It's always safest to do the Bios patch yourself using your original Bios. That way you know the Bios came from the card and is not renamed wrong or incompatible with the card. If you saved the original Bios, which you should always do, mod the original after you save a copy using this guide depending on the memory type the card has:

http://1stminingrig.com/sapphire-rx-470-nitro-oc-4gb-bios-flash-mod-tutorial-hynix-elpida-samsung-micron/

Golfmad (OP)

View Profile
June 29, 2017, 12:27:31 PM

Sad Really frustrating.

Using a modded rom from someone else is not a good idea. It's always safest to do the Bios patch yourself using your original Bios. That way you know the Bios came from the card and is not renamed wrong or incompatible with the card. If you saved the original Bios, which you should always do, mod the original after you save a copy using this guide depending on the memory type the card has:

http://1stminingrig.com/sapphire-rx-470-nitro-oc-4gb-bios-flash-mod-tutorial-hynix-elpida-samsung-micron/

Thanks yeah I've tried doing them myself and using an already modded file. Wonder if I would be quicker doing the hashing myself with pen and paper Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: