Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:08:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: TradeHill - Captcha and lockout added to the site  (Read 2082 times)
Jered Kenna (TradeHill) (OP)

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2011, 07:40:15 AM

No one likes to use captchas but site security is paramount.
We've added one to our login and multiple failed attempts will now cause a lock out.
This should reduce the chances of an effective brute force attack.

If you have used the same password on Mt Gox and TradeHill you should change it as soon as possible.

We are scheduled to resume trading at 10am Monday morning EST.

We will be continually reevaluating and upgrading our security.

moneyandtech.com
@moneyandtech @jeredkenna

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
nhodges

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 07:51:26 AM

Cool, I can go to sleep and not worry that the trading is going to resume while my eyes are closed. :] Great talk on OnlyOneTV about forthcoming security improvements, excited to see them implemented!

ploum

Activity: 428
Merit: 253

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2011, 07:57:14 AM

A simple but effective measure could be to force email confirmation for any withdraw.

In a longer term, I really hope to see GPG authentification required for big trades

Jered Kenna (TradeHill) (OP)

Activity: 420

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2011, 08:12:20 AM

Thanks Nhodges

A simple but effective measure could be to force email confirmation for any withdraw.

In a longer term, I really hope to see GPG authentification required for big trades

We manually verify the big transfers. We held up a 2500btc transfer earlier and a few 500btc or so transfers.
Most likely legit but we prefer to take the time to send an email than risk someone logging in to find their Bitcoins missing.

We spent a lot of time tonight discussing different possibilities and will be implementing more features soon.

moneyandtech.com
@moneyandtech @jeredkenna
willphase

Activity: 767
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 08:23:12 AM

How about accepting openid them people could use google's two factor authentication?

Will

kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 08:25:02 AM

Your captcha is useless and annoying.  There are better ways to prevent oracle attacks.

If anyone is interested in breaking this style of captcha, the basic technique is: intensity histogram, contrast, despeckle, horizontal histogram, cut letters/find hulls, unrotate and rescale, build grid, lookup in database.  Building the database in advance is the hardest part, and it is really only hard if the site under protection isn't worth getting into.

Captchas were great 10 years ago, when not everyone knew how to break them.  By now, they have to be nearly unreadable to be effective.  Within a few years, I suspect that getting a correct answer for a difficult captcha will be taken as evidence against the humanness of the interpreter.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1615
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 08:29:07 AM

I second the call for two-factor authentication, though I'd prefer a list of numbers as banking sites use. Google's system uses SMS, as far as I know, and I'm not giving them my number. So, let the user print a list of one-time passcodes, a random one of which will be asked for when logging in, and when only 10 or so unused codes remain, tell the user to print a new set.

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
mikegogulski

Activity: 360

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2011, 08:32:54 AM

Your captcha is useless and annoying.  There are better ways to prevent oracle attacks.

If anyone is interested in breaking this style of captcha, the basic technique is: intensity histogram, contrast, despeckle, horizontal histogram, cut letters/find hulls, unrotate and rescale, build grid, lookup in database.  Building the database in advance is the hardest part, and it is really only hard if the site under protection isn't worth getting into.

Captchas were great 10 years ago, when not everyone knew how to break them.  By now, they have to be nearly unreadable to be effective.  Within a few years, I suspect that getting a correct answer for a difficult captcha will be taken as evidence against the humanness of the interpreter.

Well, that's one way to do it. Much easier is paying a kid in China $0.01 to do it for you.

FREE ROSS ULBRICHT, allegedly one of the Dread Pirates Roberts of the Silk Road
dserrano5
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 09:33:56 AM

We are scheduled to resume trading at 10am Monday morning EST.

Where is EST relative to GMT? Not everyone lives there/knows that.

(Actual answer not needed, I know how to use google but it's annoying.)
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 09:38:41 AM

Where is EST relative to GMT?
10 am EST = 3 pm GMT (they might have DST in EST though for example which I'm not 100% aware of - this is why you should use UTC!)

Edit:
Oh yes, and the Captcha is a joke!

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: