Bitcoin Forum
July 29, 2024, 08:37:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Greetings - Newbie here!!!  (Read 446 times)
Crosis (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 04:59:40 PM

So I'm an FNG who started mining lastnight (50BTC is who I went with for my first pool)

I'm using my Gaming Desktop to mine when I'm not gaming.

Rig Stats -
32GB Quad Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz
Intel Core i7-3820 (Quad Core, 10MB Cache) Overclocked up to 4.1GHz
Dual 2GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon HD 7870
512GB SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Drive
Dual 4TB 32mb Cache Internal Drives

(Its a built out Alienware Aurora)

I'm pulling roughly 519 Mh/s, which seems extremely low, and I'm sure I can bring it up a bit more. I'm going to tweak it tonight when I get home from work to see what I can pull off...

Any Tips on speeding it up?

Been scouring the forums for a while now, been debating if its really worth it to design a rig, when you can get a 5Gh/s for 250 from Butterflylabs (after a 2 month waiting period)

Thanks.
Blue88

Activity: 6

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 05:03:34 PM

This thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=65299.0  Seems to hold some good information on your card, if you dig around I expect you'll find what people manage to get out of them.  But from a first glance that does look a little low.
Geez

Activity: 53

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 05:07:38 PM

Greetings.
About the mining: As far as I know all you really need is a good GPU, that other stuff doesn't matter too much.

About the ASICs from BFL: Well it looks promising but the question is who sells a money printing machine? Either the company is making losses because they could have made more money with mining or the customer is making losses because by the time he gets the machine the difficulty is so high that it's pointless.
alfabitcoin

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 05:17:09 PM

I want to invest into mining too. Think to buy asic chips and hope to meet the roi. Risky but who does not play does not win!
oldtimegin

Activity: 123
Merit: 16

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 05:19:25 PM

hi and good luck to you from fellow noobv Grin

▰   SEMUX   -   An innovative high-performance blockchain platform   ▰
■▬▬▬▬▬      Powered by Semux BFT consensus algorithm      ▬▬▬▬▬■
Github   -   Discord   -   Twitter   -   Telegram   -   Get Free Airdrop Now!
Biowhaler

Activity: 7

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 05:23:55 PM

Hey, good luck to you, but honestly from what I understand unless you're getting free electricity the difficulty is going to make mining at that hash rate unprofitable soon if not now.
Crosis (OP)

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 05:25:26 PM

Greetings.
About the mining: As far as I know all you really need is a good GPU, that other stuff doesn't matter too much.

About the ASICs from BFL: Well it looks promising but the question is who sells a money printing machine? Either the company is making losses because they could have made more money with mining or the customer is making losses because by the time he gets the machine the difficulty is so high that it's pointless.

Completely true, but if you build out a Rig.

Say 4 GPU's AMD 7950 (1240), MB (170), 1600watt PSU (280), Processor (100), 4 PCI-e cable extenders (55), 32GB RAM (230), 128GB SSD (150), Simple built aluminum frame (50), OS w7 Pro 64 (140), Extra Cooling fans cpu + others (100)

Anything I'm missing? we're talking 2600 easy for a fully built out rig that will run what 2.5GH/s ?

miningusa

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 05:25:36 PM

I ordered some chips, can't wait to get them running.
mig500

Activity: 7

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 05:29:25 PM

Nice Rig and welcome
Crosis (OP)

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 05:30:14 PM

I want to invest into mining too. Think to buy asic chips and hope to meet the roi. Risky but who does not play does not win!

Completely Agreed. Figure worst case, with the low power draw of an ASIC I can setup a small solar array and pump it into it causing the power to be free and then its a simple ROI and no overhead.

Hey, good luck to you, but honestly from what I understand unless you're getting free electricity the difficulty is going to make mining at that hash rate unprofitable soon if not now.

Thats my primary concern right now as well. My desktop is always on so I'm not concerned with mining while I'm not using it. But to setup a new rig with a huge power draw would be pointless compared to a new ASIC with a small powerdraw and lower ROI.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: