Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 05:15:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: E-Bay Sellers Beward : Scammer Buying GPUs  (Read 819 times)
sundownz (OP)

Activity: 714
Merit: 512

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2017, 12:20:33 PM

Hey guys,

I sold off some extra GPUs I ended up not using on E-Bay.

One of the items sold to a user wishing to use a different address -- since it was sent within the E-Bay message system I went ahead & shipped as requested.

The next day I got a message from that account saying they were hacked & did not order the item.

So I refunded it and still had time to have FedEx bring the card back to me.

Two days later... another user name ordered a card asking to ship to the SAME different address from what was on their account.

In any event... this is the address / name that was used in both cases :

Jean Burakowski 154 s. Huxley dr, Cheektowaga NY 14225

Both times the message read *exactly* like this :

"Hello, probably you found 2 shipping addresses in order details.
So, here is a correct Jean Burakowski 154 s. Huxley dr, Cheektowaga NY 14225
I had tried to change my address, but here was some error, now It have 2 addresses. So, just letting you know.

Regards"

Figured I would share in case others are selling GPUs on E-Bay.

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
June 29, 2017, 12:29:07 PM

Hey guys,

I sold off some extra GPUs I ended up not using on E-Bay.

One of the items sold to a user wishing to use a different address -- since it was sent within the E-Bay message system I went ahead & shipped as requested.

The next day I got a message from that account saying they were hacked & did not order the item.

So I refunded it and still had time to have FedEx bring the card back to me.

Two days later... another user name ordered a card asking to ship to the SAME different address from what was on their account.

In any event... this is the address / name that was used in both cases :

Jean Burakowski 154 s. Huxley dr, Cheektowaga NY 14225

Both times the message read *exactly* like this :

"Hello, probably you found 2 shipping addresses in order details.
So, here is a correct Jean Burakowski 154 s. Huxley dr, Cheektowaga NY 14225
I had tried to change my address, but here was some error, now It have 2 addresses. So, just letting you know.

Regards"

Figured I would share in case others are selling GPUs on E-Bay.

Always ship to the address listed with the PayPal payment, no matter what messages the buyer sends you and ALWAYS use signature confirmation for items over $250. That is the only way that you will be covered by PayPal seller protection if the buyer claims he didn't receive it or account fraud.  If the buyer wants an item shipped to a different address than what's listed in the payment details, you should refund the payment, cancel the auction and have the buyer purchase it again with the correct address he wants it shipped to.
Zimmsquad

Activity: 108
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 29, 2017, 12:49:16 PM
Last edit: June 29, 2017, 01:00:16 PM by Zimmsquad

I've sold a good amount on ebay, to protect yourself do the following:

• 1. Make sure the order says it is eligible for seller protection. If it does not, or if it says partial protection, you are taking a risk that if the buyer file a claim, you really have no recourse.
  • 2. Use signature confirmation. It is only ~$2 extra but once it is signed for, it is the responsibility of the buyer and they cannot claim they did not receive the item.
  • 3. Be sure to always provide detailed pictures and an accurate description or you could be subject to an "item not as described" claim. Those generally close in the buyer's favor and you have to pay to get the item back.
  • 4. For computer parts specifically, if you can provide some sort of picture showing a test or something verifying the item works before you send it, the buyer will most likely not be able to claim the item did not work. For your own records, it may be better to take a video showing the to-be sold computer part in the computer, running a test or something, and then showing the results/it working on the monitor all in one clip that is not cut. It would be even better if you say the date and/or show an online calendar or something. This would prove that as of that date (which should be right before you sell it) the item was working so if the buyer claims the item is not working, which I've seen more often than you think, is due to user error or that they are simply lying.

That's basically it, some of this might be overkill but I have never had anyone successfully win a case against me.
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
June 29, 2017, 12:54:13 PM

PayPal did away with confirmed addresses years ago. As long as the payment confirmation says the transaction is eligible for seller protection, you are covered if you follow the requirements.

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/brc/seller-protection-paypal-seller-benefit

What are the requirements for Seller Protection?
Initial Requirements

Ship to the address on the Transaction Details page.
    The item sold must be a physical, tangible item that can be shipped. This means intangible items such as digital goods and services are not covered.
    You must respond to PayPal's request for documentation and other relevant information in a timely fashion, typically within ten business days.
    Your permanent address (as listed in your PayPal account) must be in the United States.
    Depending on the claim type, whether the claim is "Item Not Received" or "Unauthorized Payment," there are additional requirements listed below.

Additional Requirements

For "Item Not Received" complaints:

The payment must be marked "eligible" or "partially eligible" on the Transaction Details Page.

You must provide Proof of Delivery as described below.

For "Unauthorized Payments" complaints:

The payment must be marked "eligible" on the Transaction Details Page.

You must provide Proof of Delivery or Proof of Shipment as described below.
Zimmsquad

Activity: 108
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 29, 2017, 12:58:57 PM

Interesting, haven't sold much in years, so that is news to me
Tmdz

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 29, 2017, 01:07:51 PM

Aside from the suggestions above.

Beware of ANY ebay account that says seller recently changed their address, can be a hacked account.

and I ran into a seller want me to ship the item to a sketchy overseas shipping company, looked them up and had tons of complaints about fraud.  Always google the address to check out where it is going.

I always write in my listings that I will cancel any order that appears to be fraud, hoping those people will go elsewhere.
64dimensions

Activity: 578
Merit: 508

View Profile
June 29, 2017, 02:36:03 PM

Thanks for the heads up!
joblo
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1114

View Profile
June 29, 2017, 05:23:01 PM

I hope you reported it to Ebay.

AKA JayDDee, cpuminer-opt developer. https://github.com/JayDDee/cpuminer-opt
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5226770.msg53865575#msg53865575
BTC: 12tdvfF7KmAsihBXQXynT6E6th2c2pByTT,
Bothebu

Activity: 81
Merit: 15

View Profile
June 29, 2017, 05:44:26 PM

The biggest red flag I see in the letter the OP got was the "regards".  Americans do not say that.

I was born in Massachusetts and have lived in USA my whole life.  I sign about 95% of my formal emails with "Regards"  Smiley

Regards
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: