Bitcoin Forum
September 20, 2024, 02:15:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How do I move my bitcoin wallet to an external hard drive ?  (Read 1168 times)
Simon Whelan (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 30, 2017, 04:32:39 AM

Hi :

I’m new to this site and, actually new to both Bitcoins specifically & digital crypto currencies more generally.

This may not be the correct Bitcoin Forum for this posting.

If there is a better or more correct forum for me to post on then please let me know and I will move that posting to that forum.

My question is :

“How do I move my bitcoin wallet to an external hard drive” ?

My computer is a Mac Mini running  Mac OSX 10.9.5 .

The specific wallet I’m using is called :

BitPay

I don’t think it’s very smart for me to have my wallet on the Mac that I use to connect to the Internet.

I figure it would be a lot better if I moved the wallet to an external hard drive that is NOT connected to the Internet.

The problem is that I’m a bit paranoid and I don’t want to accidentally do something that could screw up the wallet.

I’d like to thank everyone in advance for any constructive advice, help and suggestion you are kind enough to send me.

Thank You Very Much !

All the best & I look forward to hearing from you … Simon
ActiveP

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 04, 2017, 06:28:14 AM

Bitpay is an online wallet, you cannot move it. You can use it only when connected to the internet. I dont recommend saving your private keys on a hard dive, if your computer/hard drive gets stolen, malfunctions or crashes, you will lose your bitcoins.

What you can do is create paper wallets and transfer your bitcoins to the paper wallet address for safe keeping. The paper wallet contains copies of the public and private keys and you  can add the keys into a software wallet to make a transaction whenever you need to. Paper wallets stay offline and you can print several copies to be safe.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: