Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 09:30:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: YaCoin nodes and connections?  (Read 1720 times)
ny2cafuse (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1002

HODL for life.

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 07:46:35 PM

So I've got 3 machines(2 quad core xeon and one 8 core xeon) running with the mining settings provided by in the original YaCoin post.  It was running fine for a while with only 8 connections.  I had something like 20 orphans and 2 valid blocks between the 3 computers.  I'm running the same wallet.dat file across all 3 boxes.  I'm on a 1 gig pipe and my pings are always tits to anything.  Here's my question/concern:

For some reason, all three boxes will not go above 8 connections.  I have yet to see another block, orphan or valid, in the last hour or so.  I can't ping the original node now, but it is listed as a connection in my peer list in the qt client.  Nothing on my network has changed, so I'm not sure if this would be an issue with port forwarding(as I had blocks before with the exact same settings).  Would it be feasible to start a node list with location, so that they can be manually added to the conf file?  Has adding nodes to the conf file been proven to work?  And why are connections limited to 8 for most of the people who aren't living in EU?  It seems a lot of Europeans are getting some great connection counts.

Community > Devs
ny2cafuse (OP)
Legendary

HODL for life.

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 09:41:53 PM

Ok, I'm seeing a definite issue with my list of 8 connections then.  I'm only getting ""inbound" : false" for my connections.  I'm guessing that's probably why I'm not seeing additional peers.  I guess I'm stuck until I connect to a peer with an inbound connection.

Anyone have any ideas on this one?

Community > Devs
Klapaucius

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 09:46:10 PM

Have you tried port forwarding?
mr_random
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 09:47:20 PM

Ok, I'm seeing a definite issue with my list of 8 connections then.  I'm only getting ""inbound" : false" for my connections.  I'm guessing that's probably why I'm not seeing additional peers.  I guess I'm stuck until I connect to a peer with an inbound connection.

I couldn't get the windows build to accept more than 8 connections, even when forwarding the port.
R_Lem

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 09:48:04 PM

I've restarted 10+ times still only 8 connections and all inbound:false
tyrion70
Legendary

Activity: 934
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 09:50:08 PM

Number of outbound connections is limited to 8 and hardcoded in the software. Changing it is probably not going to help u anyway. At current diff u can expect one block an hour or so..

ny2cafuse (OP)
Legendary

HODL for life.

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 09:50:20 PM

Have you tried port forwarding?

I don't have the ability to do that at this time, but it's odd that I was able to mine blocks earlier with the same firewall config.  It looks like people who are stuck with the standard 8 connection limit are still getting at least orphaned blocks.

I've also disabled the windows firewall completely and restarted a couple times to make sure.

Community > Devs
Klapaucius

Activity: 13

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 09:50:44 PM

Ok, I'm seeing a definite issue with my list of 8 connections then.  I'm only getting ""inbound" : false" for my connections.  I'm guessing that's probably why I'm not seeing additional peers.  I guess I'm stuck until I connect to a peer with an inbound connection.

I couldn't get the windows build to accept more than 8 connections, even when forwarding the port.

I'm using the windows build also and I'm getting 46 connections. Try adding more nodes.

Here is how to do it: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=198924.0
crymo

Activity: 56

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 09:52:41 PM

what is bad about 8 connections ?
tyrion70
Legendary

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 09:53:56 PM

+1

For some reason ppl want 100's of outgoing connections uploading their blockchain to the rest of the world because they think they'll mine faster if they help other ppl get their blockchain up-to-date...

ny2cafuse (OP)
Legendary

HODL for life.

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 09:58:04 PM

+1

For some reason ppl want 100's of outgoing connections uploading their blockchain to the rest of the world because they think they'll mine faster if they help other ppl get their blockchain up-to-date...

I just want to find out if my connection problems are the reason that I'm not generating any kind of blocks, valid or orphaned.  It's been about 3 hours now and I haven't even seen an orphaned block on a combined 16 cores.  All of the blocks I've generated were all within the first hour.

Community > Devs
GSnak

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 09:58:12 PM

The main thread mentioned that you'll always have 8 outbound connections. Forwarding the port makes it so you can support inbound connections.

edit: as mentioned already

I really want a block explorer for this as it seems no one's who talking is still getting blocks.
tyrion70
Legendary

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 10:06:12 PM

I just want to find out if my connection problems are the reason that I'm not generating any kind of blocks, valid or orphaned.  It's been about 3 hours now and I haven't even seen an orphaned block on a combined 16 cores.  All of the blocks I've generated were all within the first hour.

Open your debug.log file
Press CTRL-H
Type "new block found"
look at results..

If you see lines with:
Code:
ERROR: BitcoinMiner : generated block is stale

You're finding blocks.. However you don't see stale blocks listed as Orphans..

R_Lem

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 10:16:48 PM

Thx Freddy. I do miss the orphans even if only as indication of some sort of action.
sidelsky18

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 10:18:37 PM

Same problem here. Client is mining, only 8 connections, all inbound : false, nothing under transactions. I do see some lines with "ERROR: BitcoinMiner : generated block is stale" in the debug log.
tyrion70
Legendary

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 10:23:12 PM

Who's Freddy?

Anyways, you can think of a stale block as an early orphan.. The client has received a new block from the network before it can send the one you just found out to the network again. No use in reporting that as orphan, so it stays in the debug log.

R_Lem

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 10:26:04 PM

Who's Freddy?

Would "Thx Mr Mercury" have worked better?  Grin

Your help is appreciated.
tyrion70
Legendary

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 10:35:55 PM

Would "Thx Mr Mercury" have worked better?  Grin

Your help is appreciated.

oooo now I get it :p 12.30 AM here... time to go to bed I guess ;-) But you're more than welcome Cheesy

Good thing about this coin it's just CPU.. I'll leave it running tonight, see what we got in the morning Smiley

thaychuari

Activity: 16

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 10:40:59 PM

So I've got 3 machines(2 quad core xeon and one 8 core xeon) running with the mining settings provided by in the original YaCoin post.  It was running fine for a while with only 8 connections.  I had something like 20 orphans and 2 valid blocks between the 3 computers.  I'm running the same wallet.dat file across all 3 boxes.  I'm on a 1 gig pipe and my pings are always tits to anything.  Here's my question/concern:

For some reason, all three boxes will not go above 8 connections.  I have yet to see another block, orphan or valid, in the last hour or so.  I can't ping the original node now, but it is listed as a connection in my peer list in the qt client.  Nothing on my network has changed, so I'm not sure if this would be an issue with port forwarding(as I had blocks before with the exact same settings).  Would it be feasible to start a node list with location, so that they can be manually added to the conf file?  Has adding nodes to the conf file been proven to work?  And why are connections limited to 8 for most of the people who aren't living in EU?  It seems a lot of Europeans are getting some great connection counts.

how do you connect other computers to your yacoin server? I have set up conf for yacoin.
R_Lem

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 11:51:41 PM

Nothings changed and I just found a 42.58 coin block. Panic averted.
sidelsky18

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 11:51:59 PM

Oh yay I got a mined block, 44.06 YAC! Kinda sucks to only get one block every 60-120 minutes though when some people have 10's of thousands.
ny2cafuse (OP)
Legendary

HODL for life.

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 11:56:58 PM

how do you connect other computers to your yacoin server? I have set up conf for yacoin.

I just run duplicate wallet.dat files on multiple computers.  I'm sure there's probably a better way to do it, but it was working earlier in the day.

Tyrion70, thanks for the tip on the "new blocks found" command.  I'm sure that's one that a lot of people aren't aware of, as a lot of people are saying the same things I am.  You should post a new topic letting people know how to check that, because that definitely kept me from pulling my hair out.  I wish there was a +rep feature on this forum.  You're the man, man.

Community > Devs
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: