Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 05:23:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ASICMINER: 200 TH/s has been ordered for 2-3mo deployment timeframe.  (Read 1978 times)
Fuzzy (OP)

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 07:56:41 PM

Quote from: furuknap
I would love to know

1. What are the two-three month perspective on hashrate, earnings, and profitability
[...]
1. 62+200=262TH/s. Earnings and profitability highly depends on the competitors and how the price range the purchasers will accept after two to three months. And please bear in mind that they are perspectives, only bonds could usually give a fixed range of profit predictions.
[...]

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.4640

The current TOTAL NETWORK hash rate is only ~77 TH.

Is this not a huge 51% threat, or am I missing something? (besides BFL)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
tutkarz

Activity: 546
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 08:11:19 PM

some will be directed for altcoins too

billotronic
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1000

Crackpot Idealist

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 12:24:22 AM

That's going to be the interesting part... how much of the ASIC hash wont actually end up towards BTC....

This post sums up why all this bullshit is a scam
Read It. Hate It. Change the facts that it represents.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1606638.msg16139644#msg16139644
sveetsnelda

Activity: 642

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 03:51:15 AM

Is this not a huge 51% threat, or am I missing something? (besides BFL)

It really isn't.  ASICMINER plans on maintaining a percentage of the BTC network.  Any equipment they produce that will put them above that percentage is getting auctioned off/sold.  After spending all of this time/research in building a dedicated ASIC and running a farm, the last thing they'd want to do is render all of that effort & profit useless by shaking up the very currency they're invested in.

14u2rp4AqFtN5jkwK944nn741FnfF714m7
Rodyland

Activity: 499

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 04:36:47 AM

Not to mention Avalon batch 2 and 3.  And Avalon chip sales.

And surely BFL will start to deliver in quantity within the next 2-3 months...  After all, they've already "shipped".

Beware the weak hands!
1NcL6Mjm4qeiYYi2rpoCtQopPrH4PyKfUC
GPG ID: E3AA41E3
bcpokey

Activity: 602

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 04:48:41 AM

If a group 51%'d the network, no one would really notice or care (assuming no malicious activity). The price wouldn't fall to its doom, and bitcoin wouldn't just close up shop. If it continued that way for months and months, maybe then people would lose some confidence, but it's not as alarming to the "other side" as most of us would believe.

The network has actually seen a couple of 51% moments in its history, and despite the panic on forums by a vocal minority, it had very little effect on price.

So, assuming that Avalon really will ship sooner or later, and BFL ever makes a product, regardless of what AM does or doesn't do, the problem will sort itself out.
Schrankwand

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 12:14:46 PM

If a group 51%'d the network, no one would really notice or care (assuming no malicious activity). The price wouldn't fall to its doom, and bitcoin wouldn't just close up shop. If it continued that way for months and months, maybe then people would lose some confidence, but it's not as alarming to the "other side" as most of us would believe.

The network has actually seen a couple of 51% moments in its history, and despite the panic on forums by a vocal minority, it had very little effect on price.

So, assuming that Avalon really will ship sooner or later, and BFL ever makes a product, regardless of what AM does or doesn't do, the problem will sort itself out.

In fact, what actually happened was that pool operators with 51% made enormous profits by increasing their fees to a point where they deterred people from mining there. Fun times, huh? Cheesy
os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 12:24:33 PM

That's going to be the interesting part... how much of the ASIC hash wont actually end up towards BTC....

Uh, they designed an ASIC that can mine multiple chains?  Where is the proof of that?

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
Schrankwand

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 12:55:44 PM

Uh, they designed an ASIC that can mine multiple chains?  Where is the proof of that?

You can mine every SHA-256 coin you want, because the ASICs are SHA2 specific. So you can mine everything that is based on this algorithm at the moment. The mining chips calculate, the software takes care of the other specifications.
os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 01:24:02 PM

Uh, they designed an ASIC that can mine multiple chains?  Where is the proof of that?

You can mine every SHA-256 coin you want, because the ASICs are SHA2 specific. So you can mine everything that is based on this algorithm at the moment. The mining chips calculate, the software takes care of the other specifications.

News to me.  What alt-coins can ASIC's mine exactly, by name please.

That would certainly explain why their 300Mhs USB dohicky may be worth 2BTC.
Thanks,
Sam

Schrankwand

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 01:42:34 PM

Uh, they designed an ASIC that can mine multiple chains?  Where is the proof of that?

Thanks,
Sam

http://coinchoose.com/

Every coin on that page that says "SHA-256" under Algo.
os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 01:50:48 PM

Thanks,
Sam

So people are currently mining Alt-Coins with their ASIC's?

I feel like I'm trying to ask the same thing over and over.  I'm just trying to nail down some objective truth that's all.
Thanks,
Sam

Schrankwand

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 01:56:24 PM

Thanks,
Sam

I feel like I'm trying to ask the same thing over and over.  I'm just trying to nail down some objective truth that's all.
Thanks,
Sam

Yup. And altcoin people are not happy about it Cheesy
Fuzzy (OP)

Activity: 560

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 02:12:05 PM

Thanks,
Sam

Yup. And altcoin greedy people are not happy about it Cheesy

os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 03:37:28 PM

Yup. And altcoin people are not happy about it Cheesy

OK, I had no idea.
Thanks for the info,
Sam

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: