Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 03:49:06 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Should LTC miners ban use of ASICs?  (Read 2239 times)
JohnnyBrown (OP)

Activity: 106
Merit: 10

"Highest ROI crypto infrastructure"

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 08:57:22 PM

I was thinking that if BTC mining is no longer profitable for GPUs, shouldn't there be still another channel open for them (in this case LTC)? Now BTC mining is dominated by loads of ASIC coporations (BFL, Avalon, ASIC-Miner, etc.), and it is no longer profitable.

Option A: LTC mining opens to ASICs, GPU miners pul out of both LTC and BTC.
Option B: LTC mining does not allow ASICs (maybe FPGAs) for GPU miners to make some money.

os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1091

Think for yourself

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 09:53:30 PM

Bitcoin mining is NOT unprofitable.  BTC price has gone up dramatically making GPU mining still profitable.

BTC mining is NOT dominated by loads of ASIC's, yet.  There are still allot of GPU's mining, probably more than there was before the first ASIC's showed up.  I'm still using my old 5xxx series GPU's for mining and if the traffic on BitcoinTalk is any indicator that is now the minority GPU as it seems everyone else has bought and/or upgraded to the newer 7xxx series GPU's and not just one or two for gaming but bunch's of them specifically for mining.

From what I have heard lightcoin will not benefit from ASIC's like Bitcoin does so there may never be ASIC's available for it.

How would you go about not allowing ASIC's to mine LTC?  If it is beneficial to grow an ASIC chip for LTC then someone will at some point do it, I see no way of banning a mining device unless you ban people according to bandwidth and I'm sure that will be problematic for folks with GPU farms.

Also it is beneficial to everyone to go to ASIC mining devices just for the power savings, not to mention space, waste heat and noise reduction.  Most of us have spent more on our GPU rigs than the price of an ASIC mining device.

Once these Evil ASIC corporations actually start shipping product reliably the price for them will drop back down to a range where it will be in line with the share of the bitcoin network that you once had with CPU and GPU mining but with much less power consumption.

Sam

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
Peleus

Activity: 112
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 11:06:35 PM

LTC miners have zero influence of whether ASIC's are used or not, you're talking about it like they have a choice.
hak8or

Activity: 172

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 12:57:10 AM

What ever you feel should be done for GPU miners, think about this. How would you ban asics from LTC? There is no method out there to block asic's from mining, and there probably won't be for a very long time, if ever.
Brunic

Activity: 632
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 02:54:16 AM

GPU are ASIC....
sveetsnelda

Activity: 642

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 03:47:14 AM

GPU are ASIC....

^This.  (Although a dedicated LTC ASIC would obviously be more efficient).

14u2rp4AqFtN5jkwK944nn741FnfF714m7
0150r

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 04:25:27 AM

GPU are ASIC....

GPU's using openCL is not an ASIC....ASIC can be specifically used for one thing. The last time I tried, my GPU's still played games and mined coins...
bcpokey

Activity: 602

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 04:44:17 AM

LTC is naturally ASIC resistant by the nature of the protocol. As are all the scrypt based spinoffs.

As for banning computing from an algorithmic system, good luck to that.
JohnnyBrown (OP)

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 05:07:57 AM

LTC miners have zero influence of whether ASIC's are used or not, you're talking about it like they have a choice.
I was thinking of it as maybe a temporary measure (not that I would initiate it) but maybe a throttle or ban based on speed?

ebildude123

Activity: 223

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 05:57:41 AM

Banning LTC ASIC's would definitely be a step towards helping LTC stay in the game.
FPGAs for LTC don't seem so bad, though.
os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1091

Think for yourself

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 10:23:35 AM

I was thinking of it as maybe a temporary measure (not that I would initiate it) but maybe a throttle or ban based on speed?

So, who determines the speed?  You?  Just ban everyone who has more hash power than you I guess?  Who is going to police this?

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
miningusa

Activity: 98

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 02:43:06 PM

Quite a scary thought but it really is the reality.
ThatDGuy

Activity: 728

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 02:59:15 PM

If LTC continues to grow in value and find a use as a currency, expect that there will eventually be an ASIC for scrypt. 
JohnnyBrown (OP)

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 05:33:13 PM

So, who determines the speed?  You?  Just ban everyone who has more hash power than you I guess?  Who is going to police this?

No, just maybe set a cap of 1gh/s per miner, allowing it to change with time (ie. go up when difficulty goes up, down when difficulty drops).

KS

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 07:31:03 PM

was that what ppl wanted when transitioning to GPUs?

are you complaining you're running GPUs?

ppl just don't like change...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: