Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 07:46:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: So many arguments about bitcoin and yet...  (Read 1130 times)
ElectricMonk (OP)

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 08:40:47 AM

... if you don't like it... SELL
... if you do like it... BUY

Has there ever been a better online argument that caters for 'putting your money where your mouth is'?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ripper234
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2011, 08:47:46 AM

Has there ever been a better online argument that caters for 'putting your money where your mouth is'?

... if you really don't like it, buy PUT options, or sell CALLs. Or was it the other way around? I never remember.

Please do not pm me, use ron@bitcoin.org.il instead
Mastercoin Executive Director
Co-founder of the Israeli Bitcoin Association
unk

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 08:55:50 AM

i actually object to this, even though i see it commonly. there's a lot to like about bitcoin without treating it as a vehicle for personal investments. there are some things to dislike without wanting to take a personal bearish position.

for one thing, appropriate positions depend on your personal financial profile, risk tolerance, and so on.

but more importantly, 'bitcoin' is different from the particular block chain we've got. there are reasons to like bitcoin that have nothing to do with that block chain, for example. i think bitcoin has great promise in several areas, but i have no desire to buy bitcoins in the currently prominent block chain. that's perhaps because i mined a lot cheaply, but then telling me to 'sell' because of my various countervailing reservations about the propriety of some features of that block chain, and the way it's been marketed, would be overly simplistic.

if you like bitcoin, it's fine to promote bitcoin and make arguments about it, though i wish that were generally done more honestly and less sleazily. if you dislike it, i'd like to hear your arguments too, and i'd hope other people would as well; maybe they're constructive criticism.

i don't mean this as too pointed a criticism of your particular message, but reducing everything to a personal investment decision is, at bottom, anti-intellectual, and this forum veers toward the anti-intellectual at times. there's a lot of 'if you think that's a good idea, why don't you do it. actions speak louder than words'. that's just wrong in many cases, however. at the very least, it's tragically simplistic.
ElectricMonk (OP)

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 09:32:10 AM

^^ true that.

Very good point. Perhaps 'like' is the wrong word. However, this does still cover many arguments about speculation but I take your point.

I was thinking specifically about a number of forum posters who seem aggressively bearish and yet hang around. We need some short selling so they can profit from their omniscience.
unk

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 09:40:56 AM

I was thinking specifically about a number of forum posters who seem aggressively bearish and yet hang around. We need some short selling so they can profit from their omniscience.

indeed. if i could never see another thread that advised others to sell or buy, i'd be very happy.

maybe there should be more of a norm that those discussions go in the 'trading' forum rather than the main discussion board. they're like the worst of the penny-stock discussions on 'yahoo finance'. it's a bit pathetic too, because people think their posts are actually affecting the market. you get the feel they're writing with that in mind, as if it's not both futile and transparent.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: