Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 06:32:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Landlord Problems: I need advice URGENTLY  (Read 267 times)
CryptosapienZA (OP)

Activity: 378
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 30, 2017, 10:04:10 AM

I gave my landlord a 30 day notice on the 01 Jun that I will be leaving the house I'm sharing with 2other people. Unfortunately due to unforeseen circumstances, I'm no longer going to be able to leave. My rent is up to date and have never been late. However we didn't get along because I felt she was too intrusive, she would come to the house for instance early on a Saturday or Sunday morning and be opening curtains and windows. I text her a text message telling her I will wire her the rent money Friday afternoon. She sent me a message telling me she accepted my notice and I have to be out by Saturday, if I don't she will throw my things on the street. Now to make things worse is that I am out of town.

My question is can she legally force me out of the property? I have nowhere else to go. If she does, will I have a case if I sue?
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
haroldtee

Activity: 644
Merit: 299

View Profile
June 30, 2017, 05:29:23 PM

I think that depends on the tenancy law in your country as well as the agreement you signed before renting the apartment. If the agreement is in your favour, good! If it isn't, then you may be in soup. Normally, if you give a notice of exit, in some countries, she is suppose to give you at least a chance of about 6 months to find a new place. You can approach a lawyer to find out and probably take up the case for you if you have some bux to dash out to the lawyer anyway. From the way it seems though, since you are sharing with 2 other people, I have no idea how that would work in your favour.
drachman

Activity: 756
Merit: 252

View Profile
July 01, 2017, 04:52:00 AM

I gave my landlord a 30 day notice on the 01 Jun that I will be leaving the house I'm sharing with 2other people. Unfortunately due to unforeseen circumstances, I'm no longer going to be able to leave. My rent is up to date and have never been late. However we didn't get along because I felt she was too intrusive, she would come to the house for instance early on a Saturday or Sunday morning and be opening curtains and windows. I text her a text message telling her I will wire her the rent money Friday afternoon. She sent me a message telling me she accepted my notice and I have to be out by Saturday, if I don't she will throw my things on the street. Now to make things worse is that I am out of town.

My question is can she legally force me out of the property? I have nowhere else to go. If she does, will I have a case if I sue?
There is not much we can do to help you in this forum, if you have a contract, read what does it says in your contract, however I think the best thing to do, is to use a human approach instead, if you were respectful to your landlord, did not damage the property and on time with your payments, then it is unlikely the landlord will want to kick you out if you ask for more time to live in their property.
ArrogantPeacock

Activity: 154
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 26, 2017, 02:31:15 PM

if he owns the apartment, he can do whatever he wants. That's the thing about owning something, it's yours and you choose what to do with it
CryptosapienZA (OP)

View Profile
September 26, 2017, 03:32:01 PM

if he owns the apartment, he can do whatever he wants. That's the thing about owning something, it's yours and you choose what to do with it

In my country tenants have rights. I kept my apartment, I didn't move out. There's nothing he can do. He can try to evict me, he chose not to. We lived happily ever after.
ccowl

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2017, 03:38:43 PM

In my country tenants have rights.
What country do you live in? I think it makes more sense to have laws guided by the contract between the tenant and landlord.
CryptosapienZA (OP)

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 12:53:40 AM

In my country tenants have rights.
What country do you live in? I think it makes more sense to have laws guided by the contract between the tenant and landlord.

I live in South Africa.. No matter what the contract says, the landlord can't put you on the street. If they want you out, they need to follow the eviction process, 1) give you one month notice, 2)then go to court to apply to evict you?, then they need to wait till you are served the eviction papers. The process can take up to 3 months if not longer if I oppose the eviction. My landlord was just being an ass. My rent was always on time, they thought I was a p**sy.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: