Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 11:20:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ETH Block Reward will be reduced. Won't be 5 ETH per block anymore.  (Read 1170 times)
adaseb (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1710

View Profile
June 30, 2017, 06:53:06 PM

It looks like EIP-186 is going to become a reality.

https://github.com/ethereum/pm/issues/17

EIP 186 Comments from chat channel

Vitalik: "I want to re-bring up EIP 186; I think we are more than secure enough with ETH at these levels (or even at $50) and wasting more electricity than some countries is tragic so we could use a decrease"

Avsa: "The plan for Casper is to start with a slow transition from PoW, right? Is the idea to have a slowly decreasing reward? Maybe if we set a slowly decreasing schedule now - which then has a slight uptick when PoS comes around, it might be an actual incentive for miners to move to the PoS chain when that is ready"

"I am also tentatively in favor of it with we can justify it in terms of incentiziation. I am against it if it’s heavily dependent on ether price or if it’s about pure economic planning
Maybe what is needed for this conversation to move forward is a clear proposal with numbers backing it up: reduce to X on Y date then changes to N when PoS comes etc. We also need to account for black swans: what if the new ice age comes, Casper isn't ready and ether is under $20?"

Nick: "My own opinion on this has evolved; I'm tentatively in favor of at least a modest reduction.
Exactly because it's a step towards the reduced issuance Casper is likely to have."

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
GaryH

Activity: 214
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 30, 2017, 08:01:41 PM

watch this.. hold my beer...   Wink
rogeriosmorais

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 30, 2017, 08:01:59 PM

Yeah, MAYBE it will someday, nobody knows when. There's no date, there's no final decision.
adaseb (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 30, 2017, 11:15:04 PM

Yeah, MAYBE it will someday, nobody knows when. There's no date, there's no final decision.

Its next month.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Raziel__

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

Geniuses are always branded as crazy

View Profile
July 01, 2017, 12:41:54 AM

Vitalik: "I want to re-bring up EIP 186; I think we are more than secure enough with ETH at these levels (or even at $50) and wasting more electricity than some countries is tragic so we could use a decrease"

Avsa: "The plan for Casper is to start with a slow transition from PoW, right? Is the idea to have a slowly decreasing reward? Maybe if we set a slowly decreasing schedule now - which then has a slight uptick when PoS comes around, it might be an actual incentive for miners to move to the PoS chain when that is ready"

"I am also tentatively in favor of it with we can justify it in terms of incentiziation. I am against it if it’s heavily dependent on ether price or if it’s about pure economic planning
Maybe what is needed for this conversation to move forward is a clear proposal with numbers backing it up: reduce to X on Y date then changes to N when PoS comes etc. We also need to account for black swans: what if the new ice age comes, Casper isn't ready and ether is under $20?"

Nick: "My own opinion on this has evolved; I'm tentatively in favor of at least a modest reduction.
Exactly because it's a step towards the reduced issuance Casper is likely to have."

With block time increasing, you will have less coins to mine, so they dont need to lower block reward, in a month or so when a block time is 30sec, it is going to be the same thing as lowering block reward at 15sec block time.

This is madness. Prepare yourself miners, winter is here!
Metroid

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
July 01, 2017, 01:27:25 AM

With block time increasing, you will have less coins to mine, so they dont need to lower block reward, in a month or so when a block time is 30sec, it is going to be the same thing as lowering block reward at 15sec block time.

I dont think you know where devs want this to go right? They want to kill their coin right at the spot, with all these changes to come, if they happen then it means they want eth to go to $1000 or they want eth go to $0, they are gambling here. If it was me, I would leave the way it is.

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
July 01, 2017, 01:43:24 AM

I dont think you know where devs want this to go right? They want to kill their coin right at the spot, with all these changes to come, if they happen then it means they want eth to go to $1000 or they want eth go to $0, they are gambling here. If it was me, I would leave the way it is.
That's what happens with a massively centralized cryptocurrency. Sounds like this combined with the difficulty bomb will force miners out of ETH. Could be the end of the insanely profitable mining we've been getting from GPUs. Realistically the diff bomb itself would get miners out onto the POS chain, but devs are indeed pushing a little too quick here.
adaseb (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 01, 2017, 02:33:38 AM

Yes its very centralized. The dev foundation can basically open up a very large long margin position and then announce the reduction of mining fees. Then price will spike up and they'll profit big time.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Tmdz

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 01, 2017, 04:37:16 AM

Yup looks like they will probably do a reward reduction but they will also reset the difficulty bomb clock so they have 1.4 years until block times reach 30 sec by the end of 2018.

So if we have 30 sec block time then it gets reset 14-15 sec
if we get a reward reduction then perhaps lost 20% there

After the fork we could be seeing 80% boost in profit, so either way that will be a win.
Eventually the farms will be so bloated with gpus that reductions further in the future won't matter as profit will be slim pickings.

When that time comes, when there is little profit sell off your gpus and put the money into your crypto portfolio.
It will have been an exciting venture and big gains.
PovertyByte

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 01, 2017, 08:19:24 AM

The sooner the better. So many people obliviously buying mining farms while these GPU's are out of stock and sold at excessive premiums, just so these suckers can all find the profit to suck once ETH drops the mining down AFTER thousands of new mining farms enter the scene. The longer they wait, the closer GPU mining enters bubble territory.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: