Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:40:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gemini vs Coinbase  (Read 1653 times)
dissident (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 01, 2017, 12:12:44 AM

I use these 2 services primarily to hold fiat and exchange between my own bank and brokerage accounts. Anyone prefer one over the other? I think GDAX has the best trading platform but the $10,000 daily withdraw limit is quite limiting.  When I logged into Gemini today I noticed they increased my daily bank transfer limit (ACH) up to $100,000 without my asking. Because of that I'll probably use them until Coinbase approves my increase.

Pros of both:  Fairly reliable, they have FDIC insurance on cash balances. I trust them more than any of the exchanges. No problems with any transfers going through for the most part.  Both are secure, asking for photo IDs and offering 2 factor authentication options.

Pros of Coinbase: The GDAX platform is much more robust than Gemini's trading platform. NO MAKER FEES on GDAX.  

Pros of Gemini: Better uptime because the site doesn't get overloaded as badly.  Higher daily withdraw limits, and unlimited withdraw limits in BTC.

Cons of Coinbase:  If you use coinbase itself for trading the fees are on the high side. Best to use GDAX and transfer the balance back to coinbase.

I have noticed arbitrage opportunities between these 2 exchanges should a person manage to get their withdraw limit increased on GDAX. I've seen BTC prices be $100 different at times, especially during larger moves.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: