Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 05:37:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Think I clicked on phishing link. what to do?  (Read 841 times)
LTCesk (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 12:14:13 AM

as title says. I just got an e-mail with this : 
Dear MMC Miner,

You or someone claiming to be you has requested a password reset for your account at mining.mainframe.nl DONT CLICK ON THIS LINK
and were successfully able to authenticate themself with the email address and 4 digit pin you chose when registering your account.

Thing is I have never mined MMC, nor do I reqognise the link. But ofc I click it right away anyway... What can happen now? I have encrypted all of my wallets so they wont be getting anything from them
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Still wild and free

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 12:22:34 AM

Likely, absolutely nothing. Likely only, because if you have an old version of your browser they could exploit a vulnerability. Even in this case, the worst that can happen is they take your wallet files, but if you are sure they were encrypted you are safe. Scan for malware trojan virus, if you have any doubt.

Usually these attacks aim at making you thinking you are on usual website, so you enter your login info. If you just click and do not write anything, I would say that you should not worry.

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
LTCesk (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 12:25:56 AM

Awesome! Thanks for reply, now I can go to bed without worries Smiley gn m8! In way I actually benefited from this! Lesson learned, dont click on random links claiming you should know them
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: