Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 09:12:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: WHy the fuck so many alt coins?  (Read 3049 times)
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2013, 06:40:11 AM

Q. Why so many alt coins?

A. So future Bitcoin-qt developers can cut their teeth and learn the codebase.

It maybe isn't working all that well though. Instead of cutting their teeth, their teeth seem rather to tend to get cut.

I can think of at least two excellent learning opportunities off the top of my head that instead of being taken up were simply tossed aside.

One is I0Coin, why does it die on a boost exception trying to do a host lookup and why does it eat so much RAM?

The other is GeistGeld, if you think I0Coin eats a lot of RAM check out GestGeld! Are they both eating it for the same reason, or do 15 second blocks simply consume a lot more RAM than 10 minute blocks do?

Learning does not really seem to be a popular motive nowadays, "kids nowadays" seem to prefer get rich quick schemes. Learning might not be quick, so doesn't really fit well into that gameplan...

Think though how many people there are out there holding such antique coins, maybe wishing an exchange would re-open or open so they could offer bounties for the expert restoration of such classic antiques...

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 06:43:39 AM

Indeed.  You do realize that Firefox is a direct code successor to Netscape Navigator, right?  Netscape (the company) did not cease to exist because they failed to compete with IE, they ceased to exist because they were legally destroyed by M$.

Agreed. Netscape is not a valid comparison because it was deliberately killed off by Microsoft using their 95+% dominance of the PC market to promote their own IE. You could call that a 51% attack  Sad

Bitcoin's first mover advantage is more analogous to that obtained by the QWERTY keyboard, prevailing over other competing formats in the 100 years since.

markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2013, 06:49:44 AM

Bitcoin's first mover advantage is more analogous to that obtained by the QWERTY keyboard over other competing formats in the 100 years since.

Ha ha nice pick.

People have their habits.

Imagine how annoying Litecoin is, its like television commercial-breaks that are just too short to actually let you "relieve yourself" without missing some of the show.

You barely order your coffee to sit down and have a nice relaxing chat with your shopping buddies while your transactions clear before the announcement system is bugging you "number 234, number 234, your order is ready at Walmart checkout lane 6..."

Okay so Walmart might know better, but will all shops allow you your tradtional sit down once litecoin starts edging out bitcoin?

Cheesy

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
furuknap

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

http://coin.furuknap.net/

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2013, 07:07:04 AM

You mean like 2) a quicker blockchain or a non-SHA algorithm or more coins, if so desired by society?

Yes, if so desired.  Note, however, that these are not changes that cannot be replicated in Bitcoin itself.  The faster block interval is unlikely to change, but the hashing algo is deliberately modular in Bitcoin.  There is nothing magical about SHA-256.

Exactly, and from where do these changes come? It's not like someone suddenly discoveres that it would be great to have a faster blockchain and then Bitcoin suddenly knows how to handle it. The idea is tested, evaluated, discarded or not, after having been used in alt-coins extensively.

Indeed.  You do realize that Firefox is a direct code successor to Netscape Navigator, right?  Netscape (the company) did not cease to exist because they failed to compete with IE, they ceased to exist because they were legally destroyed by M$.

Again, exactly. First mover is not a competitive advantage in all cases or even most cases, nor is market dominance, or second mover even. A competitor must stand on their own merit, not simply because of time. If Bitcoins main benefit is being first, then the first Bitcoin clone to offer something more than that will win, or be the IE to Bitcoin.

In the same way that Firefox is an open source version of Navigator and has successfully incorporated features into the codebase that Windows IE pioneered, there is no innovation that any alt-coin can make that Bitcoin can't just steal, if such an innovation proves to be desired by the public.

Bitcoin may adapt by copying what makes its competitors successful, but then the argument could be reversed and say that "Well, Bitcoin is only cloning the success of Litecoin's SCrypt, so why would we use Bitcoin instead of Litecoin?"

Again, evolution.  I have no doubt at all that bitcoin will be something quite different, but it will still be bitcoin.  Keep on mining your litecoins, though.  Bitcoin still needs it's evolutionary failures.  Keep in mind that this is a bitcoin discussion forum; if bitcoin didn't have something to gain from the alt-coin section, would it be here?

I don't think we really disagree, but my point is that Bitcoin isn't special because it is Bitcoin. Bitcoin is special right now because it is largest and most widely known, but that and the fact that it (as well as any other coin) can copy-cat other alts cannot be its primary competitive advantage in the long run.

Like I said; we don't really know what the future holds. We're at Netscape Navigator 2.0 now.

.b

Astrophysical

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 07:26:37 AM

Why?

People want to get rich?

Answered your own question. Just don't buy them if you don't support them. People will learn to judge them based on their merit.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 07:39:28 AM

infact they should ban all but euro and dollar
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 12:15:34 PM

In the same way that Firefox is an open source version of Navigator and has successfully incorporated features into the codebase that Windows IE pioneered, there is no innovation that any alt-coin can make that Bitcoin can't just steal, if such an innovation proves to be desired by the public.

Bitcoin may adapt by copying what makes its competitors successful, but then the argument could be reversed and say that "Well, Bitcoin is only cloning the success of Litecoin's SCrypt, so why would we use Bitcoin instead of Litecoin?"

The first mover advantage & Bitcoin's much greater network effect.  On many technical points, AOL was a better network than the Internet at large.  The Internet improved.  AOL is not dead though, still used by old people running modems.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
bitsalame
Donator

Activity: 714
Merit: 510

Preaching the gospel of Satoshi

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 06:21:29 PM

Another example about first movers failing: the inventor of the transistor, William Shockley. Nobel prize winner, and yet a terrible manager.
He failed miserably in making a commercial product, for being such a nerd he focused on "sexy problems" rather than practicality and commercial success, all his key employees ended up deserting him.
Those desertors (aka. the traitorous 8) ended up working for the competition Fairchild Semiconductors taking advantage of everything they learned through the insufferable Shockley.
Later on they took whatever they learned and researched in Fairchild to create their own company: Intel.

So if we take that as a case study from discovery to actual implementation: bitcoin may have a very long way to go, and the future is quite unpredictable.
The fundamentals of bitcoins might subsist, but the future of cryptocurrencies will not be bitcoins. Probably it will have another face and another name.
Walter Rothbard

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Bytecoin: 8VofSsbQvTd8YwAcxiCcxrqZ9MnGPjaAQm

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2013, 06:24:08 PM

Bankers want to bring down the bit coin system, by flooding the market with alt coins?

It's clearly working; some of my Bitcoins this morning wouldn't work because there were too many Chinacoins and Bitbars gumming up the system.

Just stop creating more alt coins!

I haven't even started yet.

Simran

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2013, 06:25:02 PM

I don't hate the new alts, but I do feel that this place, the birth of them, needs to be organized. It all depends on the preference of the user like another user referenced cigarette brands. Not all companies can stay alive forever. Since most of these new coins offer little difference to their parent coins(All the new litecoin based) and are valued less, they will fade away and be a mere memory of the time they were alive.  

*Image Removed*
Donate LTC: LRgbgTa3XNQSEUhnwC6Ye2vjiCV2CNRpib
Donate BTC: 1AGP6xPTRvsAVhsRsBX13NUH6p6LJjyeiA
Vladimir

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

-

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 06:00:25 AM

The more shitcoins there are, the easier it is to ignore them. So I say the more the merrier. Pile on, shitcoin makers!

-
Operatr

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

www.DonateMedia.org

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2013, 11:08:02 PM

I don't hate the new alts, but I do feel that this place, the birth of them, needs to be organized. It all depends on the preference of the user like another user referenced cigarette brands. Not all companies can stay alive forever. Since most of these new coins offer little difference to their parent coins(All the new litecoin based) and are valued less, they will fade away and be a mere memory of the time they were alive.  

There is a call for new alt forums, altcointalk.org is being born, altcoinforum.org is already active I believe

Jackrodwell
Copper Member

Activity: 364

View Profile
January 11, 2019, 07:52:26 PM

Why so many cigarette brands ?
Because of preference and open source! Any body can  just wake up and decide to make a brand different which give room for choice!
dutechman

Activity: 199
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 11, 2019, 09:07:54 PM

Because many altcoins do not have a cogent problem they want to solve. A lot of developers of many altcoins projects are scammers. No concrete roadmap, no reasonable product. They just want to defraud people/investors and disappear. Even those that made it to market because of lack of good plan and problem-solving strategy die of market force quickly.  These so many fuck altcoins have created a kind of panic in investors.  I am of the opinion that the activities of ICO be regulated, this will curb or minimise the advent of these useless altcoins.

P2PS TOKEN ▐ ▌ CREATING A WORLDWIDE NETWORK OF DIGITAL SERVICES
▰▰▰▰▰▰  BUY P2PS TOKEN!  [ SUBSCRIBE ]  ▰▰▰▰▰▰ (https://www.p2psf.org/)
jupppo

Activity: 385
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 12, 2019, 09:19:40 PM

I think the main reason it hype. Using cryptocurrency for collecting funds is the easiest way to reach capital. All investors are investing in this segment, they believe in blockchain. But some projects don't need blockchain at all for their work.
HichemFetoui

Activity: 658
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 12, 2019, 09:22:00 PM

i think this question has no sense .. why there is a lot of project in life every altcoin has an agenda and purpose behind it but not all of them will succeed in the long term and you need to be safe
edmundo
Copper Member

Activity: 518
Merit: 2

View Profile
January 12, 2019, 10:10:11 PM

Actually, the fact that the crypto industry is unregulated means there are a lot of people looking to game the system by developing meaningless and senseless projects mostly with the intentions of defrauding people through shabby ICOs. This occurrence has increased tremendously over the past few months leading to a proliferation of uncountable number of altcoins. Unfortunately, this will continue unabated until strict regulations are put in place.
ankhmary

Activity: 63

View Profile
January 13, 2019, 04:18:12 AM

i don't know why so many altcoins are launched ,but some altcoins are vanish in after some  days after it launched.
smileflowers

Activity: 180
Merit: 4

The Premier Digital Asset Management Ecosystem

View Profile
January 13, 2019, 06:06:45 AM

if there is only one coin. i think u may be very disappointed. so many coins can make the market look messy. but it also means that the market is booming. they will produce some real lasting coins

╭═══════ Petlife ═══════╮
│    Blockchain in veterinary medicine    │
╰════ https://icopet.life/ ════╯
Shatterlean22

Activity: 350
Merit: 4

View Profile
January 13, 2019, 06:12:26 AM

You are confusing, are the bankers the ones creating altcoins on here? If so what will be there gain? Because only newbies will fall victim to silly scam projects like wavex and ethereum classic vision, till the end of time there will always be scam projects unless a new way is introduced to tackle them

storichain.io ❂ Storichain Official Bounty Campaign
• ● START: 25 JUNE 2019 ● • (https://storichain.io)
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: