Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 02:27:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: eth mining hardware question  (Read 1042 times)
melefoxud (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 01, 2017, 09:20:35 AM

Hi,

I am planning to build a 6 GPU rig ...

here are hardware specs... please provide your feedback if I need to change anything....

1) Motherboard: Asus Prime H270-Plus Intel LGA1151 ATX Motherboard DDR4 M.2 VGA D-SUB DVI HDMI
       link : https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/PRIME-H270-PLUS/
2) CPU : Intel Pentium G4560
   link : http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Intel-Pentium-G4560/252982019823?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
3) RAM: Kingston 8GB DDR4 2400MHz PC4-19200 CL17 288pin Non ECC Desktop Memory RAM 1.2V
   link : http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Kingston-8GB-DDR4-2400MHz-PC4-19200-CL17-288pin-Non-ECC-Desktop-Memory-RAM-1-2V-/262721174271
4) SSD : ethos usb - 16GB
5) PSU : eVGA SuperNOVA P2 1000W 80PLUS Platinum Power Supply[220-P2-1000-XR]
  link : https://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=220-P2-1000-XR
6) Riser : USB 3.0 PCI-E Express 1x to 16x Extender Riser Card Adapter Power Cable Mining
7) GPU : sapphire radeon nitro+ rx 580 8gb X 6
link : http://sapphirenitro.sapphiretech.com/en/580-LE.html

Cheers,
Vaccinus

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 01, 2017, 02:10:37 PM

i would do better on the ssd, the 16gb is very low, not allow you to have page file margin for some altcoin, that can be good in the future when ETH go pos, you must think about the future in mining, not short term only, mining is a long term business

Fasdartin

Activity: 618

View Profile
July 01, 2017, 02:22:40 PM

i would do better on the ssd, the 16gb is very low, not allow you to have page file margin for some altcoin, that can be good in the future when ETH go pos, you must think about the future in mining, not short term only, mining is a long term business

I think it is better to use 32GB or higher.
Maskedman

Activity: 244

View Profile
July 01, 2017, 02:25:25 PM

Take a better SSD, usually 120 Gb ones are around 50$. They will save you much troubles ! Also the 1200W PSU is not ideal. I would rathe take two 750W ones for the same price.
melefoxud (OP)

View Profile
July 02, 2017, 01:18:59 AM

thank you for the feedback...

I will go for ssd + windows 10 and will get 2 X 750 power units

cheers
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
July 02, 2017, 08:47:14 PM

Go with Windows 7 if you insist on mining under Windows.
10 still has a LOT of issues, and it's a ton easier to get 7 to NOT UPDATE YOU TO BROKEN NEW DRIVERS that often kill your mining.

SSD is severe overkill for a mining machine, though the M2 based ones are convenient and small.
 HDs still offer a ton better GB/$ if you don't need the raw speed of a SSD (which mining machines do NOT need).

I do agree with the reccomendations to go more than 16 GB - you probably want 30 GB as a BARE minimum and > 60 GB for a machine that will be viable long-term on a Windows installation.
 LINUX you can get away with 30 GB but 60+ would probably be better there as well.

2 x 4GB RAM is a much better option than a single 8 GB stick, dual channel can help a lot sometimes and the price is usually pretty close to the same.

EVGA P2 1000 should handle your rig, but might be a bit marginal - and platinum is overkill unless you have VERY high power cost you'll never make back the difference between a good Gold unit and a good Platinum unit.
 I'd be inclined to go with the EVGA G2 1300 (or the Seasonic X-1250 gold) instead as I think they're about the same price and both have near-platinum efficiency - especially with the lighter loading than the 1000 watt P2.

If you are going to undervolt the cards, you can probably get away with the G2 1000 or the X-1000 models.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
puwaha

Activity: 700
Merit: 294

View Profile
July 02, 2017, 10:00:50 PM

10 still has a LOT of issues, and it's a ton easier to get 7 to NOT UPDATE YOU TO BROKEN NEW DRIVERS that often kill your mining.

I'm curious about this statement.  I don't mean to hijack this thread, but why is Win 10 not good for mining?  It works very well for multi-GPU setups.  And it's pretty easy to stop updates on any Windows OS... just set the Windows Update service to disabled.

SSD is severe overkill for a mining machine, though the M2 based ones are convenient and small.
 HDs still offer a ton better GB/$ if you don't need the raw speed of a SSD (which mining machines do NOT need).

Correct, SSDs are not needed, but they are reliable, fairly cheap in low capacity versions, and boot fast.  Wehn you are setting up mining rigs, you will be rebooting often during the OS install, updates, installing GPU drivers, BIOS flashing, and rig hangups as you tweak the rig to run the fastest possible and the most stable.  Time is money in mining.

2 x 4GB RAM is a much better option than a single 8 GB stick, dual channel can help a lot sometimes and the price is usually pretty close to the same.

Yes, go for the 2x 4GB option, that way you can split them apart to run two rigs later.  4GB is more than enough to run Windows.

QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 06:20:34 AM

I'm curious about this statement.  I don't mean to hijack this thread, but why is Win 10 not good for mining?  It works very well for multi-GPU setups.  And it's pretty easy to stop updates on any Windows OS... just set the Windows Update service to disabled.

That's NOT an option on Windows 10 Home at all, and I think you have to do something else in Pro per the reading I've done.
 The ONLY way to turn off updates in 10 Home (and it's not 100% reliable, per a couple comments I've seen it CAN be overriden by Mickey$loth for "critical" updates) is registry modification.

Mickey$loth has gone out of their way to FORCE you to suffer through autoupdate on 10, and made it a ROYAL PITA to even try to turn it off.
 It's NOT as simple as 7 or earlier at all.

7 in my experience works JUST as well in multi-GPU setups, and seems to be a lot more stable overall (M$ has had a lot longer to squash bugs in 7 after all).

Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
puwaha

Activity: 700
Merit: 294

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 07:09:44 AM

I'm curious about this statement.  I don't mean to hijack this thread, but why is Win 10 not good for mining?  It works very well for multi-GPU setups.  And it's pretty easy to stop updates on any Windows OS... just set the Windows Update service to disabled.

That's NOT an option on Windows 10 Home at all, and I think you have to do something else in Pro per the reading I've done.
 The ONLY way to turn off updates in 10 Home (and it's not 100% reliable, per a couple comments I've seen it CAN be overriden by Mickey$loth for "critical" updates) is registry modification.

Mickey$loth has gone out of their way to FORCE you to suffer through autoupdate on 10, and made it a ROYAL PITA to even try to turn it off.
 It's NOT as simple as 7 or earlier at all.

7 in my experience works JUST as well in multi-GPU setups, and seems to be a lot more stable overall (M$ has had a lot longer to squash bugs in 7 after all).

Eh... are you sure about this?

I don't have Win 10 Home to verify... but you're telling me that when you hit WIN+R and type in services.msc that you don't get the Services MMC?  And that you can't find the "Windows Update" service and set it to disabled?  There's no GPOs or registry settings to bother with, just a simple turn off the service if it's running, and disable it so it never runs again.  It takes 60 seconds to fix this problem.

Many people don't understand how Windows works, and that's ok.  But it's not a reason to go on a tirade about Microsoft.
melefoxud (OP)

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 09:56:56 AM

I do agree with the reccomendations to go more than 16 GB - you probably want 30 GB as a BARE minimum and > 60 GB for a machine that will be viable long-term on a Windows installation.
 LINUX you can get away with 30 GB but 60+ would probably be better there as well.

EVGA P2 1000 should handle your rig, but might be a bit marginal - and platinum is overkill unless you have VERY high power cost you'll never make back the difference between a good Gold unit and a good Platinum unit.
 I'd be inclined to go with the EVGA G2 1300 (or the Seasonic X-1250 gold) instead as I think they're about the same price and both have near-platinum efficiency - especially with the lighter loading than the 1000 watt P2.

If you are going to undervolt the cards, you can probably get away with the G2 1000 or the X-1000 models.

Thank you for the feedback

How about if I go with 32gb usb + ethos?

I agree with your ram idea.. thank you

my current power cost is around 22 cents / kwh ... please suggest what would be best power supply...

i was thinking to go with : https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=220-G3-0750-X1   X 2

Thank you ..
Sidtamfia

Activity: 65

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 10:08:06 AM

I use the Windows 8.1. It is still OK.
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 09:25:10 PM

Thank you for the feedback

How about if I go with 32gb usb + ethos?

I agree with your ram idea.. thank you

my current power cost is around 22 cents / kwh ... please suggest what would be best power supply...

i was thinking to go with : https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=220-G3-0750-X1   X 2

Thank you ..

ACK!

At that power cost, a Platinum power supply actually makes sense.

A 750 is NOT going to be enough for your planned rig.
 Given your power cost, the EVGA P2 1200 would be a good option, as I still think the 1000 is going to be VERY marginal and a 1200 should have enough margin to work reliably.

melefoxud (OP)

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 10:11:08 PM

sadly just like gpus... 1200w platinum power supplys are not available

how about if I buy two of these :

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/hxi-series-hx750i-high-performance-atx-power-supply-750-watt-80-plus-platinum-certified-psu

Thanks
Breesus

Activity: 50

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 10:21:23 PM

Talking about PSUs... I just found a Gold 1000W PSU for about $160

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EVGA-Modular-Power-Supply-Active/dp/B017ROGC12/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499107920&sr=8-1&keywords=1000w%2Bpsu&th=1

Is this able to run a 6*RX570 mining rig or is this some low end cheap stuff from EVGA ?
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
July 04, 2017, 02:52:54 AM

I don't have Win 10 Home to verify... but you're telling me that when you hit WIN+R and type in services.msc that you don't get the Services MMC?  And that you can't find the "Windows Update" service and set it to disabled?  There's no GPOs or registry settings to bother with, just a simple turn off the service if it's running, and disable it so it never runs again.  It takes 60 seconds to fix this problem.

Many people don't understand how Windows works, and that's ok.  But it's not a reason to go on a tirade about Microsoft.

I'm aware of how to turn services off.

The problem is that Windows Update is not listed as a service AT ALL under 10 Home in task manager and 10 Home doesn't have a WORKING link to the services manager in Task Manager or anywhere else I'd seen before now.

(I can't do "win+r" as I don't HAVE a win key, I use a REAL IBM keyboard because anything newer has junk mushy keys and often have too-cramped spacing for my THICK fingers to work well on - but I can certainly get CMD up via the run menu option, so same thing).

Just checked - it does appear that Windows Update is listed under services management - makes me wonder VERY strongly why it doesn't show up in the Task Manager list of services.
 I do have to wonder why it was turned on though, as I HAD done the registry hack that is supposed to turn it OFF a couple months ago.
 Makes me wonder if Mickey$loth overwrote the settings somehow, as I do recall one update happening AFTER I did the registry work to NOT have updates happen (I was INCENSED at the time as I was in the middle of playing a game and all of a sudden my system goes CRAZY then reboots).

A pair of good 750 watt PS should run a 6 x RX card rig comfortably - I'd go 4 cards on one + their risers, 2 cards + their risers and the rest of the system on the other.

Corsair from what I've seen of them are spotty, some of their supplies are good some are junk.
 They seem to have them made by different manufacturers from what I've seen of them.

melefoxud (OP)

View Profile
July 04, 2017, 09:24:26 AM

Hi,

I finally managed to get my hands on
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 P2, 80+ PLATINUM 750W, Fully Modular , EVGA ECO Mode, 10 Year Warranty , Includes FREE Power On Self Tester Power Supply 220-P2-0750-X1

http://au.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=220-P2-0750-X1

thanks for your help

I'm aware of how to turn services off.

The problem is that Windows Update is not listed as a service AT ALL under 10 Home in task manager and 10 Home doesn't have a WORKING link to the services manager in Task Manager or anywhere else I'd seen before now.

(I can't do "win+r" as I don't HAVE a win key, I use a REAL IBM keyboard because anything newer has junk mushy keys and often have too-cramped spacing for my THICK fingers to work well on - but I can certainly get CMD up via the run menu option, so same thing).

Just checked - it does appear that Windows Update is listed under services management - makes me wonder VERY strongly why it doesn't show up in the Task Manager list of services.
 I do have to wonder why it was turned on though, as I HAD done the registry hack that is supposed to turn it OFF a couple months ago.
 Makes me wonder if Mickey$loth overwrote the settings somehow, as I do recall one update happening AFTER I did the registry work to NOT have updates happen (I was INCENSED at the time as I was in the middle of playing a game and all of a sudden my system goes CRAZY then reboots).

A pair of good 750 watt PS should run a 6 x RX card rig comfortably - I'd go 4 cards on one + their risers, 2 cards + their risers and the rest of the system on the other.

Corsair from what I've seen of them are spotty, some of their supplies are good some are junk.
 They seem to have them made by different manufacturers from what I've seen of them.

QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
July 04, 2017, 09:10:36 PM

I finally managed to get my hands on
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 P2, 80+ PLATINUM 750W

Those should be good ones for you, I've had very good service out of my G2 1300 models.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: